WTB CF-4 version 1 OR 2

rmichael21

Hi,

I went to buy a pair of mint forte's today and the seller had a pair of CF-4 version 3. After hearing the CF-4, I knew for my area, 35' x 25 ', opening to the outdoors. I want the bigger profile of the CF-4

or possibly 3's . I am not looking to beat anyone up on price,  Florida would be best but I would pay shipping as well. I sold my cornwalls and klf-20's when I got married and now have an area to be able to get my klipsch back!

Mike

Edited by rmichael21

So how much are/were the version 3's that were for sale?  I have CF-3 version 3's that I've rebraced the cabinets and rebuilt crossovers close to v1's.  Mine sound great and I have no regrets.  If the deal is right, I'd go for it.  No one that is selling typically knows, or cares, which version they have.  They know what they paid for them at retail and what they "might" believe they're worth.  But it all depends on the price, I guess.

In an unrelated search, I found some CF-4's in Tampa Bay.  I don't know if that helps you or not.  (no affil)

I don't know receiver prices, but his speaker prices are at the top of the retail+ side.  If those CF-4 are version 1, $800 may not be a bad price.  I would reduce the top price from there by $100, v2=$700 and v3=$600.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/ele/5222543313.html

Let us know if you need help in identifying which version is up for sale.

Edited by wvu80

Thank you!

They are version 3, he is firm on his price. I would really prefer to have the ver. 1 or 2 . Has anybody heard the different versions who could comment on how different the sound is? I'm torn on weather I should take the sure thing or be patient hoping that a version 1 will turn up.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Where are you in Florida?  I'm about 20 min East of Tampa.

I'm torn on weather I should take the sure thing or be patient hoping that a version 1 will turn up.

CF-4's are pretty rare in themselves....CF-4 Version 1 & 2 are even rarer.  Just depends on how patient you are.

I sent Rmichael a PM with some more specific info.

Here is a previous thread on the CF-4.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/147962-opinions-on-epic-cf-4s/

+++

And I shouldn't do this to you because it will drive you crazy, but here is the best thread I've seen on modding the CF-4, from Alex G.  He sold those not too long ago and he is from Miami.  You would have loved those.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/151115-epic-cf4-mods-amp-rack-build/

Edited by wvu80

• Moderators
I appreciate that. Very kind offer,If your ever back in the area and like fishing I will take you out on my charter boat.

Likewise I appreciate the offer.  If you are ever around the Tampa / Orlando area, hit me up.  Would be glad to have you over to hear the LaScala Trio and the RF-7ii's.

If you were in Ky, I have some CF4 V1 and CF3 V2 or V3. 

You have a lot of Klipsch speakers.  Are they all in play?  

No, I need to upgrade my sigline. Gave the Cornwall and Heresy to my brother :) ....now I'm looking for more Cornwall and Heresy :wacko: lol. Right now, I have RB35 in the office at work; 4 Chorus II in the bedroom; the living room has Khorns with Belles as centers and KLF30 on each side of the Belle. I have too much, but i really like listening to what I have set up. 

Jweber it is well known that the CF-4 v3 has the shorter ports, lighter woofers and a XO change which is what makes it different from the v2.  I don't know if the CF-3 had similar mods from v2 to v3.

I have a XO schematic of the CF-3 labeled CF-3b, but there is no date and no notes, so there was at least one XO change. 

Can you comment on the difference in sound, if any from the CF-3 v2 to the v3?

Edited by wvu80