Specs for KW-120-THX Subwoofer

Raz0r

Don't have what you're looking for but would recommend just copying the Klipsch cabinet they come in. The amount of bass that comes out of the basically 18" cube is quite impressive. Good luck whichever way you go, hopefully someone here can help you out!

Don't have what you're looking for but would recommend just copying the Klipsch cabinet they come in. The amount of bass that comes out of the basically 18" cube is quite impressive. Good luck whichever way you go, hopefully someone here can help you out!

Somebody would have to tear into one and do some measuring.  Otherwise you're just guessing at the tuning frequency and exact box size.  Also even if you did do that, ideally they need the matching amp so the DSP can have a flat frequency response.  

The price made me sick to my stomach to realize that the "company" they were being sold to was probably paying 2/3rd that price if not less.

Seems like companies would rather destroy extra parts rather than to dump stuff on the market for cheap, if nothing else than to avoid this reaction.  I think this is why Atari buried the E.T. game cartridges back in the 80's.  

Biggest thing I don't like about it is that once the parts are dumped, even though everybody knows what they are, the original company typically isn't very helpful in terms of helping you finish the project out.  It should be obvious that most people who buy extra parts like this are wanting to make a clone for cheaper than usual, but to make a true clone you need other OEM parts, and when you call the parts guys up as a consumer, they don't want to sell them to you or provide other information. :)  Makes no sense.  This very thing happened to me when building a Gallien Krueger bass guitar cabinet clone.  It's aggravating, I don't see why you'd openly sell enough parts to dare people to make a clone but then not support their projects.  If you don't want people attempting this then why dump all the parts for cheap and let anybody buy them?  Who do you think is buying them, and for what purpose?  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I would not count on those woofers being exactly like what you think they are. Klipsch would not allow clones on the market if there was a chance to stop it.

So what you're saying is that Parts Express is guilty of misleading customers & false advertising ?

There were some closeout horns on there recently too.

I would like to know what is going on so not to get hosed sometime thinking I'm getting something particular and receiving something completely different.

I am only saying to my knowledge Klipsch had no part in providing parts.

Must be the manufacturer of the driver if this is the case.

Why would anyone buy excess parts for something that is still in production?

For those who like to build things.

You pay for what you use makes most sense to me.

Hope those who purchased these closeouts received what was expected, almost bought this driver myself but went a different route.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Sent from my crappy old computer.

Klipsch had no part in providing parts. 

Klipsch would not allow clones on the market if there was a chance to stop it.

http://www.parts-express.com/7-x-10-horn-tweeter-with-1-titanium-compression-driver--279-106

http://www.parts-express.com/6-1-2-aluminum-cone-shielded-driver--299-101

Where are these coming from then?  A famous manufacturer's THX Ultra2 horn with Tractrix geometry, wonder who that could be. :)  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I get that but short of cooperation I don't understand how this Factory Closeout company is getting their hands on so many if their claims are true.  That would only leave a few choices:

1. they are lying, and this is copied parts, which seems to be a mighty bold claim given the pretty specific description without actually saying the word "Klipsch"

2. they're going behind your back to the overseas manufacturer, which I can't believe an exclusive contract like I'm sure you have would allow for

3. it's gray market stuff, like maybe somebody like the guy from Reconing Speakers who does sell parts went out of business and dumped a stockpile