an RP-280FA drool session

Paducah Home Theater

you realize there are different species of Walnut right?

Nope, not really, but I figured some of this stuff can vary from tree to tree even within the same species.  Like I said, it's similar enough that I didn't notice anything glaringly different plus it looks really nice.  All I know is that my guitar has a slightly tighter grain and lighter redder color.  Don't know what that means, if anything.  

My only question is about the black, basically it says real wood veneer that has a black walnut finish.  ???  Even black walnut isn't pitch black.  I don't know what that is supposed to mean.  Why not just say what species of wood it is then say it's stained black?  Even if it is real walnut that is stained black it's worded in such a way that makes you wonder.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

They look nice. Not a huge fan of the foam around the Atmos speaker - seeing as I like my speakers naked, this would drive me crazy. I think I'd rather add the Atmos 140s to existing speakers. But, Atmos is so far down the road for me since i just bought my 4520 in Feb. I will say, if the 140s had been available then I might have bought a Atmos receiver. Oh well.

• 2 weeks later...
They look nice. Not a huge fan of the foam around the Atmos speaker - seeing as I like my speakers naked, this would drive me crazy.

Easy remedy there.  Just place on top a custom cut a 1/4" thick walnut panel with a cutout to just cover the foam. 

veneer_black_walnut.jpg

Bill

Edited by willland

They look nice. Not a huge fan of the foam around the Atmos speaker - seeing as I like my speakers naked, this would drive me crazy.

Easy remedy there.  Just place on top a custom cut a 1/4" thick walnut panel with a cutout to just cover the foam. 

veneer_black_walnut.jpg

Bill

I would not do that, it will alter the magic.

I would not do that, it will alter the magic.

No, not like that, like this.

veneer_black_walnut.jpg

The inner black area would be a cutout.

Bill

If you simply replicate the current grille design with walnut, okay. If you try to cover more of the foam area then the current design has, then bad things will happen.

With the top grills on & in pkace... you would never even see the foam insert. And since the top Atmos speaker is horizontal (facing upright) the speaker & tweeter will be more susceptible to dust. etc.... so, I personally would never be in a situation to "not" have the standard grills in place. There are both form & function.

Sound-absorbing foam inserts are installed to eliminate any random secondary baffle radiation, insuring that the vertical sound is not distorted by uncontrolled lateral reflections... & specifically engineered frequency response and directional sound  radiation patterns.

To permanently leave the top grills off & then to fabricating a matching wood insert purely for aesthetic reasons would seen counter productive for the DAES (Dolby Atmos Enabled Speaker).

Based on all of Jay's previous posts regarding passive filtering, directivity and frequency response (just to name a few aspects)... I doubt a proper or effective DIY Dolby Atmos Enabled Speaker that meets with Dolby's spec is on the immediate horizon. If I was in the need for new towers, I wouldn't hesitate to grab the 280FA's.  Switching gears, I would install in-ceiling speakers before an attempt to create a DIY project, that may or may not be effective (since I would be guessing at Dobly's required spec). In-ceiling would be both effective & a cost effective route.

Based on all of Jay's previous posts regarding passive filtering, directivity and frequency response (just to name a few aspects)... I doubt a proper or effective DIY Dolby Atmos Enabled Speaker that meets with Dolby's spec is on the immediate horizon. If I was in the need for new towers, I wouldn't hesitate to grab the 280FA's.  Switching gears, I would install in-ceiling speakers before an attempt to create a DIY project, that may or may not be effective (since I would be guessing at Dobly's required spec). In-ceiling would be both effective & a cost effective route.

Maybe. But I'm sure that's been said about DIY before. I won't be buying new towers again, my next set of anything new will be all DIY. I won't go Atmos until a DIY solution is available.

No need for DIY... just install in-ceiling speakers: instant Atmos that meets all required spec. Unless in-ceiling speakers are not an option with your space? Prior to having availability to any upward firing modules, I had numerous (non-Atmos) direct radiating & wide dispersion speakers in place. They worked to an extent, by simply throwing sound above... but nothing that achieved the accuracy & effectiveness of the RP-140SA's.

As for modifying them due to the foam visuals, I mean I might not like the look of an extended extra-full shotgun choke, but that doesn't mean I'm going to take it off and run bare threads when I go turkey hunting. :)  Think about it.