What are they putting in Nutella?

BigStewMan

Just read this...

Nutella will make some people do crazy things.

A 78-year old man was hospitalized Sunday after a 24-year-old man reportedly punched him in the face over a Nutella sample dispute at a Costco in Burbank, Calif.

Derrick Gharabighi, scheduled to be arraigned Tuesday, is charged with felony elder abuse and personal infliction of great bodily injury against a person over 70, according to CBS Los Angeles. He could face more than 11 years in prison.

According to the Burbank police, the scene began when the elderly man told Gharabighi to only take one sample of Eggo waffle with Nutella after Gharabighi had grabbed several pieces, Burbank police officer Cindy Guillen told the Burbank Leader.

Gharabighi then allegedly punched him in the face.

Valentino Rossi, the 9-time Motorcycle Grand Prix World Champion, really likes Nutella with his breakfast.

Nutella y Valentino Rossi:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TMmKIaCZmw

For your further amusement, here's what the top Yamaha riders do during the week.

Valentino Rossi's Day At The Office:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6KuGYF55p4

Rossi's Grand Prix World Champion record:  125cc 1997, 250cc 1999, 500cc 2001, MotoGP 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2009.  He's currently leading the 2015 MotoGP standings, with 5 of 18 races left to run.

Jorge Lorenzo is a 4-time Grand Prix World Champion (250cc 2006 & 2007, MotoGP 2010 & 2012).

Colin Edwards, the "Texas Tornado", is a 2-time Superbike World Champion (2000 & 2002).

James Toseland is a 2-time Superbike World Champion (2004 & 2007).

Edited by Islander
  • Like 1

Just read this...

Nutella will make some people do crazy things.

A 78-year old man was hospitalized Sunday after a 24-year-old man reportedly punched him in the face over a Nutella sample dispute at a Costco in Burbank, Calif.

Derrick Gharabighi, scheduled to be arraigned Tuesday, is charged with felony elder abuse and personal infliction of great bodily injury against a person over 70, according to CBS Los Angeles. He could face more than 11 years in prison.

According to the Burbank police, the scene began when the elderly man told Gharabighi to only take one sample of Eggo waffle with Nutella after Gharabighi had grabbed several pieces, Burbank police officer Cindy Guillen told the Burbank Leader.

Gharabighi then allegedly punched him in the face.

If you think the problem here is Nutella then look at your post again. 

• Like 1

But wait there's more Pat.  Notice that instead of assault there is a specific law regarding the age of the victim.  It carries a much heavier penalty than what should be an assault case.  So if the guy was 69 it would be different?  One, it is a shame that somehow this law seemed necessary to pass, and two,  it points out the trend of specialized "hate crimes:" mentality where the crime is secondary to the motive.  It's one more step towards the thought police.

• Like 1

More food for thought.  Who would be 70 right now?  Math tells me those born in 1945.  Oh look it's those boomers!  Amazing such a law happens to exist to protect above and beyond normal law the spoiled brats who were improperly raised by what is mis-labeled the greatest generation.  Luckily as with nature, time can heal all.

But wait there's more Pat.  Notice that instead of assault there is a specific law regarding the age of the victim.  It carries a much heavier penalty than what should be an assault case.  So if the guy was 69 it would be different?  One, it is a shame that somehow this law seemed necessary to pass, and two,  it points out the trend of specialized "hate crimes:" mentality where the crime is secondary to the motive.  It's one more step towards the thought police.

I don't think it's the first step on the slippery slope to having the thought police. It's more a case of seeing an assault on a more vulnerable person as being more reprehensible. Is the penalty much heavier, or is the crime just in a slightly different category? If someone assaulted a child or a disabled person, that would also be more reprehensible than assaulting a healthy young person, and would likely be reflected in the penalty applied upon conviction.

With that in mind, I agree that having a separate charge for assaulting someone over a certain age isn't really necessary. The judge should have enough flexibility in sentencing to address the nature or degree of helplessness of the victim.

Perhaps there is an issue in that particular region with assaults on seniors. I haven't heard of such a law anywhere else.

EDIT: I just re-read the OP, and it seems that 11 years for a punch in the face is a much heavier charge than usual. Does this really constitute "great bodily injury"? Sure, sometimes a punch can cause serious injury, or even death if the victim falls and strikes his head, but there's no mention of that in the story.

As for baby boomers writing laws to benefit themselves, I think you're seeing something that I'm not. It certainly may happen with some laws, but I don't think this is one of them. However, since most politicians are lawyers or businessmen, it's easy to find lots of laws that benefit those two groups.

On the subject of different punishments for hate crimes, it can be argued that an assault is an assault, no matter who or what the victim is. Putting some crimes in a different category is an attempt at behaviour modification, a way to discourage certain evildoers from doing the things they're most likely to be tempted to do. Even if the penalty is similar, it brings to everyone's attention that some types are likely to pick on certain vulnerable groups, and suggests to those types that they will get special attention if they act on their prejudices.

Edited by Islander
  • Like 1

Though I dont Advocate punching anyone in the face its funny how we only get to see 1 side of the story, for all we know the older gent could have done much more than ask the younger nicely to take it easy on the nutella, Then again the younger guy could be a violent nut job. 11 years for assault...................... :blink:

Valentino Rossi, the 9-time Motorcycle Grand Prix World Champion, really likes Nutella with his breakfast.

Nutella y Valentino Rossi:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TMmKIaCZmw

For your further amusement, here's what the top Yamaha riders do during the week.

Valentino Rossi's Day At The Office:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6KuGYF55p4

ROTFL!  :lol:   Nice find!

Those were both hilarious, with Rossi at the end of the Nutella commercial, taking the chef for a ride on his scooter!  No translation necessary!

And those four guys working at the Yamaha headquarters:  "Hiya, ladies, here's your mail."  And the security guy to the president of Yamaha USA:  "where's that tie?  You're the president!  Respect my authority!"  That whole thing was great!  :lol:

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Nutella is hazelnut spread. There are some rivals, but Nutella is the first and the best hazelnut spread.

With chocolate. Lots and lots of chocolate in that hazelnut paste. It's good on just about everything.

Edited by spezjag
  • Like 1

What exactly is Nutella. It sounds vaguely likes prunes.  Never had any, never going to, and  I like nuts, especially goobers, and the ones they put in institutions.

Good man Marty, the wife and i pass up the "Free" samples in Costco every month.

WE will live longer.

don’t go to costco…since i dine out for my meals; but, i’ve heard that some people go to costco just to pig out on the free samples.  times must be tough for them.

• Like 1