KLF-20s with Emotiva

slovell

How would my KLF-20s match up with an Emotiva XPA-2 vs the Adcom GFA-5500 I'm currently using? I'm also using an Adcom GFA-7000 for my all Klipsch center and surrounds which I'm considering replacing with the Emotiva XPA-5. The 20s have been modded with Crites titanium diaphragms in the tweeters, Klipsch titanium diaphragms in the mid horns, and Crites custom crossovers (with his added bandpass for the mid horns). I'm using a Marantz AV-7005 prepro.
Thanks, Sam

Sorry I don't have the KLF-20's but all of my Klipsch speakers love that XPA-2 amp. As for the XPA-5 amp I am a new owner with less than a week on it but so far it sounds fantastic. There are plenty of Emotiva bashers so be prepared for the answers that follow!

I understand and thanks for the reply. My Adcoms are both over 15 yrs old and in need of servicing, they're both starting to sound grainy and a bit bloated in the bass. I'm also considering the Emotiva XPA-7 and running everything from one amp. I'm just wondering if you can draw enough power for any of these amps from a standard wall outlet, spec-wise these things are beasts.

If you are looking for a solid amp and less harshness, and warmer than the Adcom, the XPA-2 is an excellent choice. The XPA-2 is a little warmer than the Adcom with lots of umph and control for the KLFs dual woofers (which need current to sound best).

Adcoms of that vintage seem to have a reputation of being somewhat harsh, which with Klipsch can be a double whammy.  Many times it is a matching problem.  

If you don't think the Adcom needs to be toned down some with more liquid mids and tight bass, stay with that you have.

• Like 1

why don't you buy some 10 uf Silmic (the brown ones, forget the voltage but 100v would be fine) and bypass the main filter caps in your Adcom. Cheap to do will sound excellent for the first 30 - 40 minutes then they slide away and it's gonna take a few weeks maybe three but the wonderful sound all comes back then. They are well worth the wait in time as they burn in. Sure beats buying and shipping a new amp.

Edited by moray james
  • Like 1

why don't you buy some 10 uf Silmic (the brown ones, forget the voltage but 100v would be fine) and bypass the main filter caps in your Adcom. Cheap to do will sound excellent for the first 30 - 40 minutes then they slide away and it's gonna take a few weeks maybe three but the wonderful sound all comes back then. They are well worth the wait in time as they burn in. Sure beats buying and shipping a new amp.

For one very good reason, I don't have a clue what you're talking about. I'm definitely not a tech.

I've been extremely happy with the XPA-5. If there had been any hint of hiss. noise or feed back, I would not have bought a second one to run 9 channels.

I say try it as they have a nice return policy if you are not satisfied.......best of luck to you!

• Like 1

I run a Marantz as a pre/pro, XPA-5, and KLF 10s as mains. Very happy with the results. I did have the XPA-2 on hand for a while and where it was nice I honestly liked the XPA-5 in two channel better. When it is run in only two ch power wise it is almost the equal of the 2. In the long run it was more economical for me to go with  the 5 ch and it provided me with multiple configurations as well. Either way they should match up fine.

• Like 1

For one very good reason, I don't have a clue what you're talking about. I'm definitely not a tech.

oh well pays to learn in this hobby but by all means then buy a new amp or find a bud who knows or a tech who is trust worthy still a tiny fraction of the cost of a new amp. I guess if you have the money, I hope you like the emotive. I got tired of buy and try very many decades ago.

Wow, this thread is amazing. The KLFs are my favorite models of all time and I'll be grabbing another pair soon.

I was JUST wondering if I should go for some Emotiva gear or grab a GFA-555.

What do you all think about a GFA-555 vs dual Emo XPA-100s pushing KLF-20s/30s?

I'm thinking about doing something for fun for a change. I'm thinking about getting a Crown XLS-1500 ($200 shipped from Amazon) and running my KLF-20's off of it just for the pure hell of it. The Crown needs 1.4 preamp volts  from what I've read and my Marantz AV-7005 puts out 1.2 volts from the RCA's and 2.4 volts from the XLR's. I would think the XLR's should push it quite nicely. I could play around with the Crown, send my Adcom 5500 off for servicing and then the 7000 when the 5500 gets back.

Very practical, sensible option you've chosen.  Internet high-five to you!

By the way, Marantz pre pros typically put out 4v (or more), even on their RCA's, so you should be good either way.  But balanced is simply better.  I'm not sure if you'll get any practical benefit, but with Klipsch, every bit of noise reduction counts.

Very practical, sensible option you've chosen.  Internet high-five to you!

By the way, Marantz pre pros typically put out 4v (or more), even on their RCA's, so you should be good either way.  But balanced is simply better.  I'm not sure if you'll get any practical benefit, but with Klipsch, every bit of noise reduction counts.

If there's any noise in the signal the horns will bring it out. From what i've read it seems to me that a lot of people that try these Crown XLS amps turn the gain controls up way too high thinking they're volume controls.

Edited by slovell

I had that exact setup. It sounded very good and lots of head room to boot. However I ended up changing from KLF20's to RF7ii then to Emo's XPA-1L monoblocks. lots more headroom and cleaner sound at reference volume during movies. The crowns are great Ive used them for years both at home and live sound. If the one you bought lasts as long as my DC300-A's you will someday have to will them to someone. I have 3 Crowns that I will never sell.

I had that exact setup. It sounded very good and lots of head room to boot. However I ended up changing from KLF20's to RF7ii then to Emo's XPA-1L monoblocks. lots more headroom and cleaner sound at reference volume during movies. The crowns are great Ive used them for years both at home and live sound. If the one you bought lasts as long as my DC300-A's you will someday have to will them to someone. I have 3 Crowns that I will never sell.

Alain,  I've been thinking about going with a set of RF-7ii's.  The KLF-20's I have now, were upgraded to Crites x-overs/titanium tweeters and midranges.  What kind of differences/improvements did you notice going from the KLF-20's to the RF-7ii's?  Was it a step up or more of a lateral move sound quality-wise in your opinion now that you've spent time with both?