H

Axz Hout

These look like irreversible (or hard-to-go-back) modifications. 

What is the science / theory behind these changes?  Wold they work with the stock 4-ohm bass drivers, or is this something that you believe is required for the switch to the EVM 8-ohm drivers?

Thanks in advance!

I would wager that mach1's mod is indeed reversible- you merely use the OEM motorboard with the 3x13 slot with the K33 mounted.  I doubt that the thickness 'loss' due to the enlarged slot in the horn itself makes much difference.  It is after all very small in comparison to any relevant wavelengths being communicated.

Mach1: have you tried going back this way?  Any audible difference from what it was, originally?

• Like 1

Mach1: did you try those 15 ' s with the 3x13 slot? I am curious because I had these in my speakerlab K ' s using the ohm crossover (might have had something to do with it) and I found that combo wanting. Switching to k33e's and a type A crossover made things come into sharp focus. Now I am powerfully inclined to open the slots and go Kappa C's and see what I get. Curious to know though, how's the deeeep base? Those 15L's have an fs of what, 41 or 43 hz? I know PWK worked to get woofer fs numbers down in the low 30's for those early bass horns.

• Like 1

"The 4dB that is added to a stock K Bin with a 101db motor is amazing.  "

Incorrect.

The increase will only be above the mass corner (in the 500hz region), not the bass.

130Avs2226vsLE15A.gif

Edited by djk

Can you run a FR curve in room - with a calibration microphone about 1 metre in front of the Khorns?

You can use TrueRTA or Room EQ Wizard - both are freely available.  All you need is the computer that you're typing on and a USB calibration microphone (a UMIK-1 is a good one, apparently). Taking a measurement should be a snap given that you are able to do the mod and pictures.  The real proof in the pudding is the test data to check the design--to back up the listening tests.

PWK reduced the slot size because of a droop in response at or around 200-400 Hz.  BTW, the Bruce Edgar article that you posted is a bit notorious from the standpoint of accuracy of rationale for the smaller slot size that PWK chose.  Test data will tell the difference.

Chris

Edited by Chris A

If you test the K-33P vs the EVM 15L connected to the same source = you can not hear the K-33P unless you get right up to it.

I'm thinking that you're listening to harmonic distortion in the EVM 15L, probably 2nd and/or 3rd harmonics--right?  Or maybe just higher FR of the woofer when connected to one channel without a crossover network in the middle.  How are you listening to them--without baffle/horn loading?

A simple upsweep using REW and a calibration mike will answer all these questions...with data.

Chris

Edited by Chris A

How are you listening to them--without baffle/horn loading?

I have 5 horn loaded speakers,   Klipschorns w LaScala  front  and Belle rears.  All have modified throats and large/stock splitters.  The corner speakers use the 15L and the center LaScala has the 15B.

Your Jub Bass Bins  would like the EV EVM 12L  60xNximage.php,qwidth=60,aheight=60,aima    still available.    x 4 for your setup. :)

Where ? any recommendations ?  At what cost ?   Series II