Noob to Klipsch, ATMOS, and surround...what to do next?

007nco

Hello, nice forum!  Now I can research more than I already tend to do (or overdo more like it)

My 25 year old Infinity system (from Circuit City) given to me from a long ago ex lost a tweeter and then my 3 year old Pioneer Elite (from Best Buy) died for the 2nd time.  I heat gunned the THX chip to re-solder it a few months ago, so I'm done with my big box audio.

I spent countless hours, researching reviews and owner feedback and kept coming up to Klipsch.  I'm on a moderate budget so I hunted Craigslist first for the speakers.   I came up with a local fellow that had a lot of RF 7's, RC 7, RS 7's, and the 115sw.  A thorough test (I ran some high end mobile audio shops way back in the day) and the purchase was made for a very reasonable price.

I had spent a few months studying technology in processing and again reviews and recommendations by friends and ended up ordering the Onkyo TX-NR3030  11 channel unit.   A 4k TV to replace my 5 year old Samsung will be on the short list.

So, all I have done is the calibration and chosen what I though was a good compromise between sound and not being too obtrusive for speaker locations and now considering what to do next.   I did leave my old infinity rear surround speakers for the rear high outputs on the Onkyo, again just some OK units for rear fill. I have the sub installed under the stairs behind the couch in a triangular cabinet, sub facing the listening area, not corner loaded.

Question, (and thank you if you read this far) what would be some good matches to use any or all of the remaining channels?  I have overhead (height1&2) for the ATMOS fill in, front high outputs and rear high outputs (replace the Infinity)  There is also a rear low output.   I don't think I need a sub 2, at least with how it sounds now.   Trying to figure if the RS 7's are in the best location and what I should match something for the back fill and overhead.  I'm a little leery of plate mount speakers so I'll have to figure if that's the best for the ceiling.   

• Like 1

Without seeing pictures, the best advice is match this layout as close as possible. All speakers should be close to 1.2 meters in height to the acoustic center of the speaker. Surrounds can go 1.25 times higher than the 1.2m recommendation as a maximum. Sometimes this isn't possible, just get as close as you can.

7.1.4 DAES layout.jpg

First, welcome. Second, sub crawl. How did you come up with its current placement? Any way you can post some pics of your room? Or at least give some room dimensions? Klipsch makes some great ATMOS speakers that actually sit on top of your current speakers. I'm sure NIsmo will add his thoughts - he has 4 of these speakers and thinks highly of them. I'd also say look into adding at least one more sub.

Edited by Rowan611
  • Like 1

Without seeing pictures, the best advice is match this layout as close as possible. All speakers should be close to 1.2 meters in height to the acoustic center of the speaker. Surrounds can go 1.25 times higher than the 1.2m recommendation as a maximum. Sometimes this isn't possible, just get as close as you can.

7.1.4 DAES layout.jpg

That diagram looks pretty near, thank you.   I mostly wanted the sub hidden but yet close enough to the seating that the air movement is really felt.

Edited by 007nco

First, welcome. Second, sub crawl. How did you come up with its current placement? Any way you can post some pics of your room? Or at least give some room dimensions? Klipsch makes some great ATMOS speakers that actually sit on top of your current speakers. I'm sure NIsmo will add his thoughts - he has 4 of these speakers and thinks highly of them. I'd also say look into adding at least one more sub.

Thank you.   I'll look forward to input on the top mount ATMOS.  I saw them but was concerned about the reflecting concept for the higher frequencies.

Looks good…I'm digging the red light.

Lol, I can change to any color, depends on the mood lol.  Red usually a sci fi or horror mode.  Nifty little IKEA lights.  I did the staircase in motion activated Las Vegas style you may be able to see above the R115sw

post-61776-0-24760000-1443143492_thumb.j

post-61776-0-15320000-1443143512_thumb.j

post-61776-0-90640000-1443143519_thumb.j

• Like 1

He has a write up of them on here, I'd just search for Nismo, look for threads he has started. Love the red bias light, I have a LED strip on my stand. Looks like you put it on the TV, I might have to look into doing that also. My only suggestion would be to move the towers away fro the walls. I was always taught that speakers should be away from walls...letting them "breathe" if you will. I'm sure they produce more lower end in the corner. It's all a matter of personal preference. I would recommend a sub crawl though. Make sure your sub is in the best location for response.

Nice looking room!!

Your surrounds are way too high. It will cause images to drift from low to high when a pan goes around. This is why all speakers need to be as close as possible to the same height. A sub crawl as they call it, is putting the sub in the listening position then crawl around the room until you hear the best sound. It isn't really that great of a test, but is better than nothing. I tend to call a spade a spade, there is usually only a few good spots available in a room for the subwoofers (yes you need multiples). Try those positions and listen at your sweet spot. Multiple subwoofers will be way more effective than one alone could ever be. Multiples help even out the room response, but can be tough to integrate without test equipment.

The sub location and integration in the system is best done with in room measurements. When you get through all the other minutia, look up REW software on the home theater shack. That will take care of several days of fun!

• Like 2

Your surrounds are way too high. It will cause images to drift from low to high when a pan goes around. This is why all speakers need to be as close as possible to the same height. A sub crawl as they call it, is putting the sub in the listening position then crawl around the room until you hear the best sound. It isn't really that great of a test, but is better than nothing. I tend to call a spade a spade, there is usually only a few good spots available in a room for the subwoofers (yes you need multiples). Try those positions and listen at your sweet spot. Multiple subwoofers will be way more effective than one alone could ever be. Multiples help even out the room response, but can be tough to integrate without test equipment.

The sub location and integration in the system is best done with in room measurements. When you get through all the other minutia, look up REW software on the home theater shack. That will take care of several days of fun!

Great info, truly appreciated. I think fairly difficult to get the RS 7's down low at sides. Might they be better as a higher front stage set? I'm going to have tolook at plate speakers it appears for the side and surrounds...

Sub, ok please do pardon me for being old school but would a better way be to get an RTA and find the smoothest response location?

Agreed, multiple subs, cancellations and boosts might be a bit challenging to resolve but will think on for V2. What to do on plate drivers, are they stiff enough or better to build in wall enclosures? Will research REW, thank you all for the tips.

On a related note; can anyone recommend a decent streaming service? I'm not so thrilled with the Youtube lol.

Edited by 007nco