Prime Day

kapsnb01

Amazon is offering new subscribers to Prime a $67 rate today, down from the usual $99 yearly rate.  I'm interested in whether that "moves the needle" for anyone to sign up. 

We have Netflix right now and while I'm tempted to sign up for Prime, I'm sort of on the fence as to whether it pays to do so.  I don't order a lot from Amazon, so the 2 day shipping thing isn't a huge bonus, and while we have Netflix, we use it about a couple times a month. 

Thoughts from those that have Prime?  Thoughts from those that will take advantage of the offer today?

I am almost the opposite side of the fence, so to speak....we order quite a bit from Amazon, birthday gifts, Christmas, etc, so the shipping is the big bonus, and worth every penny.  Plus, depending on where you live, and where it's being shipped from, you may not pay tax, another bonus.  Prime Music and Movies are not very much on our radar.

• Administrators

Amazon Prime is well worth it. We've had it for a few years and it's actually saved us a ton on shipping. (We buy from Amazon a lot)

Amazon Prime Movies and Music aren't really used by us. We already use Netflix, HBO Go, and Google Play Music.

• Like 1

I have had it since it came out, it was offered for free for a time. It is worth it for me like the folks above for shipping but we also use the Prime video a fair amount as well. Netflix is better but there is stuff on Prime that isn't on Netflix. Haven't really used the music service.

Had it for a few years now. As stated, the free 2 day shipping and no tax have more than offset the annual fee for me. Another bonus if you buy Blu-Rays is that new releases arrive the day they are released if you have pre-ordered. Amazon instant video is ok but typically the same content as Netflix.

Yeah...I kind of figured that the best part of it would be the free shipping.  If I ordered more often from them, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat...  They're building a warehouse here in MN, so we get charged sales tax on everything from them now - so that benefit went away for us.

I use prime as well, and I do watch the videos it is about the exact same thing as netflix lowest price service which I also use and they pretty much offer the same movies  However some of the TV programs are different between the  2

I got prime for the shipping the video service was a bonus, we use it alot for Christmas etc

Normally when I order from then I'm eligible for free shipping anyways.

Just to be clear, free 2 DAY shipping with Prime. Not that UPS 7 day shipping you might be used to. I ordered 300lbs of smoking pellets. Yep, 2 days later I had them.

I understood.  I'm generally not in that big of a hurry to get anything I order on line.

We passed on signing up.  Just don't order enough from Amazon to make the free 2 day pencil out.  Since we have to pay sales tax, ordering from Amazon is less attractive than it was prior to paying tax.  Plus, most of what I do order, I don't absolutely need within 2 days, so waiting out the normal free shipping isn't an issue. 

I can see how it'd be a great deal if one were to order often...especially if you didn't have to pay the sales tax on a larger purchase.