Klipsch Epic Owners Group

kapsnb01

New owner checking in, I now understand the obsession with these. These will be mine for a long time.

Cool beans Rockhound, congrats.  :emotion-21:   :emotion-19:

What's the story on your CF-4's?  Where did you find them, through what audio gear are you playing them?

And you've been here long enough to know pics are needed so we can tell how they sound.  B)

The guy I bought them from owned them for two years he really didn't want to sell them but priorities change. They are CF4's version 2 and the tops of the cabinets are rough they are not pretty but my god do they rock!

I have a modest two channel setup consisting of a Juicy Music Peach Pre - McIntosh 2105 amp - oppo blu Ray player that spins cd's mostly. I have a dacmagic and a Apple TV but I'm brain farting at the moment and can not remember how to hook it up to the peach lol.

I'll snap some pics tonight! I couldn't be happier these are exactly what I have been looking for.

I have a modest two channel setup consisting of a Juicy Music Peach Pre - McIntosh 2105 amp - oppo blu Ray player that spins cd's mostly. I have a dacmagic and a Apple TV but I'm brain farting at the moment and can not remember how to hook it up to the peach lol.

I'll snap some pics tonight! I couldn't be happier these are exactly what I have been looking for.

Wow, how often in life can we say we that happy about finding something we were looking for?

+++

I've only head the CF-4 comments with AVR (me included) and usually solid state tech with 200 wpc power.  It will interesting to see how you like them with tube amps.

+++

Edit:  You didn't say you wanted to refinish some stains on the top.  I think I brought that thought over from the thread on a set of Chorus speakers.  Feel free to ignore the following pics.  B)

Be sure to check out my thread on re-finishing those cabs.  With some light sanding the top can easily be brought back up to spec.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/149241-epic-cf4-needs-overhaul/

Before:

post-58280-0-99320000-1452387216_thumb.j

After:  Actually, I found I didn't really have a good after pic.  I'll have to take one and post it later.  But for the most part, it now looks like this:

post-58280-0-10680000-1452387419_thumb.j

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Hey congrats! Let us know your impressions as you put them through their paces.

I'm convinced that part of the reason they rarely change hands is because those that have them wouldn't give them up for much of anything.

Edited by kapsnb01
  • Like 2

I have the CF -3's version1's with several mods based on some great feedback from this thread - bracing, dynamat on the tweeters, and had the crossovers updated by Bob Crites. I also ended up refinishing them. I recently upgraded to a marantz AV 8802a and power these bi-amped with Parasound 2225's v2 and boy do they sound awesome. Wish I had an opportunity to grab the cf-4's but I am completely happy with the sound.

Sweet! I'm a recent member to the club also. WVU80 has some nice little tweaks for them, if you feel like tinkering. I'm still amazed at how much punch the CF4 have! I'd definitely recommend a high current amp for them. I don't think high wattage is absolutely necessary. My little 75 watt Parasound HCA 750A amp cranks them, and shakes the walls! I didn't find much difference between that amp, and my larger 125w Parasound. Tell us more! Congrats!

Put the Cf4's on blocks to see if they made a difference (about 16" up). The first thing I noticed is the over powering bass I had in the left corner of my MLP went away. The next thing I noticed was the imaging changed. So far so good.......ghetto image attached lol.

post-40775-0-18100000-1452821058_thumb.j

• Like 1

Nice setup rockhound. I too raised mine up and noticed improved imaging as well.

To answer your previous question...I'm running mine straight off my Denon 4520. At some point I'd like to hook them up to a separate amp just to hear if it makes a difference. That said its more curiosity than anything as the Denon doesn't seem to have any trouble driving them to ear splitting levels.

• Like 1

rockhound, on 14 Jan 2016 - 7:24 PM, said:

Put the Cf4's on blocks to see if they made a difference (about 16" up). The first thing I noticed is the over powering bass I had in the left corner of my MLP went away. The next thing I noticed was the imaging changed. So far so good.......ghetto image attached lol.

I told you it was coming :D  You might be a redneck if you use cinder blocks to raise a pair of klipsch speakers!!!

Thanks for coming down, fun to share some time with a fellow audio addict.

Curious what gear others are using? Anyone bi-amping these bad boys if so with what?

Took Moray' advice and raised them up about 16" to put the horn at ear level, WOW!

i bi-amp with my cheap panasonic sa-xr57, which is an ideal match for these speakers. this is a 7 channel digital receiver that can use 6 channels to power the mains, with two channels bridged for each of the LF channels doubling the power to the woofers, with the ability to further dial in the level between the LF and HF amp sections. I am very satisfied with this setup.

• Like 1

Nice set up! The ghettos in Arkansas are much nicer than the ones we have in Missouri!

• Like 1

Hi folks,

As I mentioned recently in another thread, I just picked up a set of CF-3s. They sound crazy good, and I'm really enjoying them. I haven't seen anybody mention it, but in 1995, D.B. Keele Jr. did a review of them for Audio magazine. You can pick up your very own copy for less than $10 on ebay. Keele is an engineer, not a writer, so it isn't the prettiest audio review that ever was. That said, he took really comprehensive measurements, and they are super informative.

Here is what I took away: First, these were clearly built for incredible dynamic range across the entire audible spectrum. Second, as we all know, Klipsch lied about the sensitivity. The CF-3s were 94.5 db 1w/1m, which seems about right per my volume knobs. Third, the cabinets are pretty rigid. So, hours spent on complicated bracing may not be the best way to go. Fourth, the crossover design is exemplary. Super smooth and great phase response by any standard. No wonder these are so easy to listen to. Fifth, the big horn gets a little rough, even up in areas where people hear pretty well (between 5-10k). That said, because the crossover is so perfectly tuned, I'd be hesitant to swap horns. All-in-all, it was pretty informative, and I think confirms what many folks hear. I'll scan and post if I get the chance.

I'm not sure extensive mods are the best idea for me. That is saying something, because these are y first factory speakers in more than a decade. However given their age, I will recap the crossovers as soon as I can. I'm sure that will make a big difference, as caps get a bit crusty at 20 years. I'm amused that folks here are willing to do very time-consuming mods inside of cabinets, but afraid to do a little soldering. Not that I don't support the idea of giving a little business to guys like Crites. 

I'm glad to be a member of this community. The Epics have to be among the most underrated speakers of all time, and I'm glad you folks are keeping the flame burning. I'll try and post some pics when I get around to recapping them.

Best,

Paul

I have my CF-4s running as my mains in my basement home theater. They are currently being pushed by an Adcom GFA-535ii running out of the preamp outs from my Marantz AV-1403. This sounds pretty good. 

I also have a restored Fisher 500C that I pull out for pure 2-channel listening. With the CF-4s this is an amazing combination. I really like it - the sound is liquid and imaging is superb. Interestingly enough, with the Fisher the horns get a tiny bit overpowering. I don't have that problem with the Marantz/Adcom combination, which actually sounds kind of flat in a lot of circumstances. I'm actually thinking about pulling the Adcom out of the mix and trying to run the CF-4s directly from my Marantz again. The 1403 is only rated at 50 wpc but in reviews these amps have pushed much less-efficient speakers to very good dynamic levels. We'll see. 

I have CF-3 v3's which have had the crossovers altered to me more of the version 1's using Solen caps and Mills resistors.  Those alone made a great improvement in sound quality.  I also did mild bracing to the cabinets because the back panel on one of mine was loose with almost no glue holding it in two 2-foot areas.  Quite noisy.  So some basic bracing and added rigidity to the tops and bottoms, increased port length to 5.75" total, wrapped the horns with medical grade Koban (not messy at all), and tilting the fronts up some by adding about 5/8" of lift for aiming the horn at listening level.  Other than that, I just listen to them and enjoy them.

I agree with the efficiency being overrated on their specs because they do love power (I'm running 460wpc on them) and they aren't that much louder in comparison to my Norman Lab Model 9's which sport three 10" woofers and three 1" Phillips tweeters per cabinet.  Hmmm....  Maybe I do prefer the sound of a simple two way design.