Klipsch Epic Owners Group

kapsnb01

Ok thanks all,

Next time I will try to cut the dynamat in one piece. by this way, It will be faster and easier to put on the woofer.

Then I will brace my cabinet. I have a lot of wood tools (purchased for the construction of my cinema room 2 years ago) and I think I can make something good.

My idea is also to put a veneer on the cabinet to make it WAF compatible ;)

So today, I disassembled one of my cabinet totally. Actually one of my cabinet had the back unglued so it was easy to make some bracing!

I was very astoniched to see that my two cabinet was not build the same way. one is poorly built compared to another. This is completely sloppy! On the bad one, the screws are screwed awry, no paper gasket but a really thin foam between woofer and cabinet, the damping foam in the enclosure is badly cut... The builder did a crappy job!

Here are some photos of the cabinet I am bracing (this one was well built)

For making a good bracing in this cabinet, what are the secrets?

Thanks again for your help!

Message_1476018348251.jpg

20161009_204112.jpg

20161009_195338.jpg

20161009_150858.jpg

20161009_141601.jpg

@Dave

this is strange because we don't have the exact same schematic. It's pretty close but...

(Mine is on the left, yours on the right)

20161009_150858.jpg

When I look at the schematic Moray James sent, it looks like I have the exact same component as CF3-B schematic.

CF3-Rev3.jpg

You have component from rev1 and rev3 so I think that you have a rev2 crossover.

Can you post you Low Frequency crossover part to check the difference with other revisions?

@Moray James

Do you think I can modify my actual crossover to have the same crossover (with my actual woofers) as the rev1 version?

Thanks again for you help!

Hello Moray James

In the past you sent a zip file with two differents crossover. After some research, it looks like it was a rev1 and a rev3 crossover. Can you confirm?

Again, do you think I can modify my actual rev3 crossover to have a rev1 version despite my differents woofers (model 1030 instead of 1022) ?

Epic_CF-3_Rev3ToRev1.jpg

• 1 month later...

Dear all!

A few days ago, I upgraded my installation and bought a DAC (Gustard X20U). What a, improvement!! Whaou! So impressive!

But, with this quality I also noticed that one of my woofer is making a strange noise when playing music with high low frequency. Something is vibrating/resonating and I can't find what.

I have the feeling that the plastic spacer that surrounds the woofer vibrates. Do you know what can it be?

I have also the same noise when the woofer ii outside the cabinet (unscrew and put on the ground).

:(:(

20161111_121805.jpg

On 10/12/2016 at 1:29 PM, marems said:

Does anyone have the schematic for the 1st ver CF-2's?

The quick answer is "no."  There are some limited Epic series schematics out there but the CF-2 isn't one of them.

I'm glad you asked the question because maybe there are some newer posters here who do have it.

On 10/10/2016 at 7:39 AM, Francois said:

Again, do you think I can modify my actual rev3 crossover to have a rev1 version despite my differents woofers (model 1030 instead of 1022) ?

The Rev3 speaker has a lighter woofer.  I would not suggest changing over to a different crossover, use the values that were designed for the speaker.

+++

3 hours ago, Francois said:

But, with this quality I also noticed that one of my woofer is making a strange noise when playing music with high low frequency. Something is vibrating/resonating and I can't find what.

I have the feeling that the plastic spacer that surrounds the woofer vibrates. Do you know what can it be?

I have also the same noise when the woofer ii outside the cabinet (unscrew and put on the ground).

That is called a dust cap, and yes, that is what's vibrating.  It looks like it is tight, but about 25% of it is loose.   It happened to mine as well and is easily fixed.  You have to be careful what kind of glue you use to put the cap back on so it is not corrosive to the plastic in the woofer and doesn't dry too fast like a Superglue. 

I have documented my fix, it is at the end of the very first thread I posted on the Klipsch site.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2016 at 2:53 PM, Francois said:

For making a good bracing in this cabinet, what are the secrets?

There are a couple of things to consider.

First, be aware that as you add wood to the inside you are decreasing the volume of the cabinet.  If you keep it to 10% I would not worry about it.

Be careful if you brace to to bottom through the middle that the woofers extend past the middle.  Make sure you have a woofer installed or well measured if you do this.  Here is the 1x4" brace I used.  It is screwed into the cross braces for rigidity.

Be sure to use hardwood, not MDF.  The brace should fit, but not stress the sides.  I used a small hard rubber piece at the top and bottom, although that is probably not needed.  You can see how I offset the piece to miss the woofers.

I also built a shelf across the middle to hold a larger, heavier compression driver.  You will not need that third brace.

I am sure someone could design a better brace than mine.  I went the quick and easy route.

IMG_4354.JPG

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wvu80 said:

That is called a dust cap, and yes, that is what's vibrating.  It looks like it is tight, but about 25% of it is loose.   It happened to mine as well and is easily fixed.  You have to be careful what kind of glue you use to put the cap back on so it is not corrosive to the plastic in the woofer and doesn't dry too fast like a Superglue. 

I have documented my fix, it is at the end of the very first thread I posted on the Klipsch site.

Thanks Dave ;)

You speak about the dust cap but I was thinking my problem concern the plastic part around the woofer. Is it possible?

I can clearly hear a vibration on high-volume bass sounds. It's really annoying

++

20161009_141601.jpg

Hi Francois.  In your very helpful picture, I was referring to the red line.  The problem of a dust cap that is loose and causing a buzzing sound only at certain frequencies is well known.  You are referring to the green part which is the frame.  I am just confirming our terms.

Speaker-Cross-Section.jpg

I have not heard of the frame on this speaker or any other causing a buzzing sound, although I am sure it is possible.  If it is not the dust cap it could be something else inside the driver, like the spider which has come loose.and the sound is being transmitted through the frame.

Before we eliminate the dust cap as the cause of the buzz, I suggest you take a small pocket knife and gently pry all around the outside of the dust cap.  If the cap does not raise slightly then we can move on to something else.  It's not that I don't believe you, it's just that buzzing is omni-directional and hard for my old ears to find.  It drove me crazy and I only found my buzzing by running a frequency sweep and then at the exact moment it buzzed I could zoom in on the loose cap.

The problem I have is I do not know how to check the plastic frame for problems.  Maybe someone else has experience with that.

• Like 1

Dave you was absolutely right!

2 woofers on the same cabinet with dust cap unglued!

Now I need advices on how to glue. I have to completely disassemble the dust cap or can I just add glue where it's needed (with a toothpick  for example)?

20161114_205731.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi everybody. I'm from France, and a friend of mine I have a problem with one of the compression driver of is CF-4. It seems to be in bad condition, making some noise and distortion at some frequency... Is anybody have a source to find a diaphragm to repair it?

I find this seller http://www.critesspeakers.com/klipsch_epic_cf-3_and_cf-4.html but It seems to be not available anymore... On Ebay, there is many remplacement diaphram, but none for the K-63-KN.

If you have an idea where I can find a remplacement part, or in the worst case, a replacement model for compression driver in current range. I read that the ELECTRO-VOICE DH1506 seems to be a good choice, but EV doesn't make it anymore, and it difficult to find now.

Thanks for your help.

30 minutes ago, floamp said:

Hi everybody. I'm from France, and a friend of mine I have a problem with one of the compression driver of is CF-4. It seems to be in bad condition, making some noise and distortion at some frequency... Is anybody have a source to find a diaphragm to repair it?

I find this seller http://www.critesspeakers.com/klipsch_epic_cf-3_and_cf-4.html but It seems to be not available anymore... On Ebay, there is many remplacement diaphram, but none for the K-63-KN.

If you have an idea where I can find a remplacement part, or in the worst case, a replacement model for compression driver in current range. I read that the ELECTRO-VOICE DH1506 seems to be a good choice, but EV doesn't make it anymore, and it difficult to find now.

Thanks for your help.

Sometimes, the dust cap will partially comes loose on the driver and make a distorted or annoying buzzing sound at volume. This is the first thing to check,  see if the glue has failed at some place along the cap.  When it is making that sound, put your ear near the center circle dust cap and also put a finger on it edges to see if it is vibrating.  If so, this can be fixed fairly easily with a glue.   

1 hour ago, shiva said:

Sometimes, the dust cap will partially comes loose on the driver and make a distorted or annoying buzzing sound at volume. This is the first thing to check,  see if the glue has failed at some place along the cap.  When it is making that sound, put your ear near the center circle dust cap and also put a finger on it edges to see if it is vibrating.  If so, this can be fixed fairly easily with a glue.   

Ok. thanks for the reply. I will check this tomorrow. I hope this will cure the problem.

On 31/01/2017 at 5:27 PM, shiva said:

Thanks Shiva! Even if the sound seems to come from the compression driver, it is the dust cap from the mid/bass driver who become loose, the glue passed away at some place.

We need to re-glue them.

• Like 1