Klipsch Epic Owners Group

kapsnb01

On January 31, 2017 at 9:58 AM, floamp said:

Hi everybody. I'm from France, and a friend of mine I have a problem with one of the compression driver of is CF-4. It seems to be in bad condition, making some noise and distortion at some frequency... Is anybody have a source to find a diaphragm to repair it?

I find this seller http://www.critesspeakers.com/klipsch_epic_cf-3_and_cf-4.html but It seems to be not available anymore... On Ebay, there is many remplacement diaphram, but none for the K-63-KN.

If you have an idea where I can find a remplacement part, or in the worst case, a replacement model for compression driver in current range. I read that the ELECTRO-VOICE DH1506 seems to be a good choice, but EV doesn't make it anymore, and it difficult to find now.

Thanks for your help.

Check with Klipsch. They discontinued the driver for my Epic 2's but have replaced it with a newer part number which is exactly the same as the original. Price was decent at $99.00 and you'll be getting an exact replacement. Bob at Crites speakers might have something for you as well. I would trust him completely to get you fixed up. Give him a call if you don't see it listed on his website. He might be able to locate one for you or repair the one you have. Good luck!!!

• 11 months later...

Thanks @Rivernuggets I do devote some tie every day to the search, and I am a very good internet searcher.  My problem is I still don't know what is a good deal quite often. I mean I wasn tempted to asked about a pair of Klipsch Heresy II Signature rated 7 by the seller in Canada for $400 U.S. That seems cheap to me for Heresy II, but they are outside my experience.  There is another pair of Klipsch Heresy I HBR speakers for $400 in Winnipeg, which makes me skeptical.  But I have not seen Heresy II anywhere near $400.  There there is a pair of Forte II in Minneapolis for $450.  Again, seems like a great deal to me, but I just don't know. It;ll just take time and I will get there,

Forte IIs over Heresy any day, IMO. All three Heresy models are very good, but I like the Tractrix mid horn and better bass with the Forte II.

$400 for Heresy I or II is normal to good pricing, especially if the cabinets are in good shape.

11 hours ago, vasubandu said:

seems like a great deal to me, but I just don't know. It;ll just take time and I will get there,

Yes, you're quickly getting a feel for prices. 

• Like 1

I may be out of the Epic club before long if I end up selling my CF-3's.  I don't really need a poop load of speakers packed up at my buddy's house while new house is being built.  Plus, the Belle's are going to be the main speakers that are upstairs and I'm not putting things in the living room except for a pair of Dynaco A25 speakers run off of something very basic.  I don't do surround sound anymore; no one in the house cares, anyway, including me.

• 2 months later...

Hello all.  It seems I joined the Epic CF3 club today.  I bought a pair of consecutive serials numbers at an estate sale for $100.  I opened the bidding there, and none of the other attendees bid at all.  Without doing much reading beforehand, these seemed to be an upgrade for the system in the living room, which was a pair of KG4's.

In doing some reading, is it true that the version 1 of the CF3's can be told by the depth of the bottom internal cones?  These measure 5" plus a quarter or so.

The initial testing I have done shows that these are head and shoulders above the KG4's in volume and clarity.  They really seem to be, according to my tinnitus laden ears.  The midrange / vocals seem much louder, clear as a bell in fact.  The problem that we were having was that the vocals with the KG4's in movies or music was too soft or washed out, maybe due to the size of the room?

Anyway, with the same 7.1 Denon amp that drove the other speakers, the CF3's rock.  Hard.  Impressively so.  I'm a rather happy camper at the moment.

I think the pair of KG4's will take the place of my current office / computer speakers.  How else can I tell that these are Rev. 1 vs. 2 or 3 without disassembling anything?

O

The serial number will tell you everything you need to know.

You COULD also pop out the terminal cup and have a look at the wiring.

I had CF-3 version 3’s, the last run, and could not imagine them sounding any better.

I only sold them when I got LaScalas. Like the previous poster was saying, just TOO many GOOD speakers not being enjoyed by anyone.

The dual woofer punch is a hard act to follow!

Take a trip into another room while they are playing and you can still feel them hitting.

Congratulations on your purchase!

2 hours ago, geoff. said:

The serial number will tell you everything you need to know.

You COULD also pop out the terminal cup and have a look at the wiring.

I had CF-3 version 3’s, the last run, and could not imagine them sounding any better.

I only sold them when I got LaScalas. Like the previous poster was saying, just TOO many GOOD speakers not being enjoyed by anyone.

The dual woofer punch is a hard act to follow!

Take a trip into another room while they are playing and you can still feel them hitting.

Congratulations on your purchase!

Thank you.  The serials tell the tale, as you can see from the pics below.  The only damage I see is the bump on the back edge.    (I have GOT to take a lint roller to the fabric panels)

IMG_0937.jpg
IMG_0938.jpg
IMG_0939.jpg
IMG_0940.jpg
IMG_0941.jpg
IMG_0942.jpg
IMG_0943.jpg

Edited by Oicu812
  • Like 1

So, the date system is that the first three are the Julian date, the next two are the year in reverse order, and then 0001 through 9999?

Never mind, I answered my own question.

Edited by Oicu812

• 1 month later...

Well, it's probably about time I posted in this thread as I seem to have an "Epic" problem.

Bought my first pair of CF3 v1's without even knowing the history around them. The seller was moving from Southwest Wisconsin to somewhere in TX (San Antonio, I think). It was a long drive but I paid his full asking price of $250. They're Medium Oak and in very good condition.

I didn't even listen to them for a couple weeks, figured they sounded like most other Klipsch speakers...until I hooked them up and sat down. WOW Awesome soundstage, killer dynamics and the detail they convey would embarrass a lot of premium speakers. I've owned KEF, NHT, Martin Logan, Magnepan, Boston Acoustics, Canton, other Klipsch models and these CF3's are among my all-time favorites.

So then I start thinking about home theater. I try replacing my KLF-C7 with a KV-4 but something doesn't sound quite right so I stick with the KLF-C7 and let the KV4 gather dust. Then I start thinking about rear speakers and it's then that I hatch this crazy idea of a full CF3 home theater.

I posted up ads on Craigslist, US Audiomart, etc.....nothing for weeks....I setup keyword searches across the web....still nothing that's within a drive-able distance. Then I get a response from a guy in Southern Minnesota who claims he has CF3 v1's. We finally connect and start talking about audio for about 40 minutes non-stop. It's clear this guy knows speakers and Klipsch. I make the drive down and finally lay my eyes on....ANOTHER pair of Medium Oak CF3 V1's. Except these are extremely well-preserved, only showing minimal marks. We land on a purchase price of $800 (price is factoring in the value of some older KEF's I traded plus some cash) and I haul home pair number 2. I also picked up another KLF-C7 from the same guy - love that center.

Which leads me to today....I had spotted an ad on Facebook Marketplace for Klipsch CF4's. Trading some messages with the seller, it was clear to me that they really didn't know what they had and would probably struggle figuring out v1, v2, v3. I decided to take a leap and commit to buy them sight unseen since the price was only $300 for the pair. While I didn't strike gold with a third pair of v1's this time (they turned out to be v3's in Black), it's tough to argue with the price.

BTW, I'm still on the hunt for a third pair of CF3 v1's. The next theater setup I do will have a CF3 center. So if anyone wants my CF4 v3's, I'd love make a trade.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/22/2018 at 9:23 PM, mimalmo said:

BTW, I'm still on the hunt for a third pair of CF3 v1's. The next theater setup I do will have a CF3 center. So if anyone wants my CF4 v3's, I'd love make a trade.

So you're looking for some CF3 v1's and want to trade off some CF4 v3's.  I've got a pair of CF4 v3's now and would love another set.  Where are you located?

On 6/22/2018 at 9:23 PM, mimalmo said:

Well, it's probably about time I posted in this thread as I seem to have an "Epic" problem.

Bought my first pair of CF3 v1's without even knowing the history around them. The seller was moving from Southwest Wisconsin to somewhere in TX (San Antonio, I think). It was a long drive but I paid his full asking price of $250. They're Medium Oak and in very good condition.

I didn't even listen to them for a couple weeks, figured they sounded like most other Klipsch speakers...until I hooked them up and sat down. WOW Awesome soundstage, killer dynamics and the detail they convey would embarrass a lot of premium speakers. I've owned KEF, NHT, Martin Logan, Magnepan, Boston Acoustics, Canton, other Klipsch models and these CF3's are among my all-time favorites.

So then I start thinking about home theater. I try replacing my KLF-C7 with a KV-4 but something doesn't sound quite right so I stick with the KLF-C7 and let the KV4 gather dust. Then I start thinking about rear speakers and it's then that I hatch this crazy idea of a full CF3 home theater.

I posted up ads on Craigslist, US Audiomart, etc.....nothing for weeks....I setup keyword searches across the web....still nothing that's within a drive-able distance. Then I get a response from a guy in Southern Minnesota who claims he has CF3 v1's. We finally connect and start talking about audio for about 40 minutes non-stop. It's clear this guy knows speakers and Klipsch. I make the drive down and finally lay my eyes on....ANOTHER pair of Medium Oak CF3 V1's. Except these are extremely well-preserved, only showing minimal marks. We land on a purchase price of $800 (price is factoring in the value of some older KEF's I traded plus some cash) and I haul home pair number 2. I also picked up another KLF-C7 from the same guy - love that center.

Which leads me to today....I had spotted an ad on Facebook Marketplace for Klipsch CF4's. Trading some messages with the seller, it was clear to me that they really didn't know what they had and would probably struggle figuring out v1, v2, v3. I decided to take a leap and commit to buy them sight unseen since the price was only $300 for the pair. While I didn't strike gold with a third pair of v1's this time (they turned out to be v3's in Black), it's tough to argue with the price.

Great score on your Epics and little review.  I agree,  they beat out many a speaker.  I use a C-7 between mine as well.  Also, a great plan to have a full surround of Epics.  That would be stellar.   Keep up posted when you get your Epic center.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, mimalmo said:

What has the ability to make a pair CF3 look small?     A pair of CF4.

Just running the CF4's through their paces to ensure everything works before I go through and detail them.

20180721_210005.jpg

Congratulations on the nice pair!  Can we see the sides?

Now all we need is a new model (CF-5?) that uses 15" woofer pairs...

• Like 2

quick question - should there be gaskets between the compression drivers and horns on the CF series?

Also, took my KV4 apart (well, fed ex helped with that, bastards).  But interesting there is a screen on the front of that compression driver, there is not on the CF4's.

The KV4 center crossover is listed - Epic CF2...  not shocked.  but just an FYI.