Klipsch Epic Owners Group

kapsnb01

10 minutes ago, Emile said:

OK; just had to post this. :D  Got a pair of CF-3's (version 2) a couple of weeks ago ... just played Itzhak Perlman;s Paganini's 1st Violin concerto ... haha; at 100dB's ... absolutely awesome!  The CF-3's replaced a pair of Forte's ... no comparison :D 

Which recording version of this did you listen to?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, artto said:

Which recording version of this did you listen to?

EMI, 1972, CDC 7 471022 (??), Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Lawrence Foster director.  Think it is a pretty good recording :D 

Excellent. Thank You!

Tidal has this. I'll give it a listen.

But I have to tell ya, 100dB (C weighted I hope) on a violin concerto seems, a little loud to me, which is why I'd like to give it a listen. For the most part I don't violins either. But since it's Itzhak I have to cut it some slack as he is one of a handful of violinists that I can easily tolerate and truly appreciate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, artto said:

100dB (C weighted I hope) on a violin concerto seems, a little loud to me

OK; having another glass of vino ... and will turn it up a bit :D  Playing Handel's Messiah ( Robert Shaw, Atlanta Symphony, TELARC).  AWESOME :D 

25 minutes ago, Emile said:

OK; switched to Santana's "Shaman."  Great sound :D  These CF-3's sound as good (in a small room) as my 904's (in a bigger room). :D 

So, are you trying to say,  the Epics kind of hit above their price point? 😀 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Shiva said:

So, are you trying to say,  the Epics kind of hit above their price point? 😀 

Not sure about that.  B)

They were about $2400 new, the compression driver had a neo magnet and replacements were about $750.  These were the top of the 2-ways for the three years they were produced starting in 1994.

IMO adding a musical sub turns these into a 3-way speaker system and they are as good as I've ever heard, and I've owned LS and Khorns.

5a5da46ced990_CF-4Computersetupright1.thumb.jpg.68053bc463f650c39d6fc1fc468dacc0.jpg5a99ba074ab50_Small00002.thumb.jpg.d9a1de6e9e778ddc8c1bc1bb6f678c01.jpg

• Like 4

Just now, wvu80 said:

Not sure about that.  B)

They were about $2400 new, the compression driver had a neo magnet and replacements were about $750.  These were the top of the 2-ways for the three years they were produced starting in 1994.

IMO adding a musical sub turns these into a 3-way speaker system and they are as good as I've ever heard, and I've owned LS and Khorns.

What I'm really getting at is a question of comparative value.  After listening to a great many speakers at audio shops and big shows,  costing far more, the Epics still stand tall an hold their own in comparison.   

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Not sure about that.  B)

I think he means the used market, where you get near Klipschorn performance for 1/5th the price.

Simultaneous post, Schu!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Thought about a sub ... but these CF-3's go down pretty deep ... think they are much deeper than Forte;s even though the specs say no .... pretty close to my KPT-904 (although in a much bigger room ) :D 

• Like 1

Just now, Shiva said:

What I'm really getting at is a question of comparative value.

I knew what you meant, point well taken.  :D 

If I had to shell out twenty-five hundred bucks today the CF-4's or CF-3's put out that much value in sound.  Picking up that kind of sound for under a thousand is a deal. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Emile said:

Thought about a sub ... but these CF-3's go down pretty deep ... think they are much deeper than Forte;s even though the specs say no .... pretty close to my KPT-904 (although in a much bigger room ) :D 

The CF-4's have dual 12" woofers but when they are cranking, the woofs move very little which is why they have very low distortion.  I added a 15" sealed sub DIY with a 500 watt plate amp and it really fills out that bottom octave with oomph.  If you've ever heard a baby grand or a grand piano up close and personal, the CF-4's with a sub SOUND like a baby grand with the same kind of power up and down the keyboard.

If a speaker can reproduce a piano, it can reproduce just about anything.

• Like 2

I have listened to speakers costing 20 grand and more which don't do what the Epics can do, whether as a stereo pair or as part of a home theater.  That is what is cool about the Epics and Klipsch. 👍

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Shiva said:

I have listened to speakers costing 20 grand and more which don't do what the Epics can do, whether as a stereo pair or as part of a home theater.  That is what is cool about the Epics and Klipsch. 👍

Didn’t Roy / @Chief bonehead design these?  If so, he knocked this one out of the park!   Thank you, Sir.  I’m a fan of your work.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Oicu812 said:

Didn’t Roy / @Chief bonehead design these

Yes; but not a big fan of Roy.  He gave me the run-around on K-510 horns ... got some from Klipsch ... then got forwarded to Roy ... with the message "I'll find you some" ... never heard from him again :(