Klipsch Epic Owners Group

kapsnb01

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

IMO adding a musical sub turns these into a 3-way speaker system and they are as good as I've ever heard, and I've owned LS and Khorns.

But weren't those set up in the most awkward tiny room and far from optimal? Similar, in respect, to those CF-4's laying sideways up on s metal shelf?  🤔

10 minutes ago, avguytx said:

But weren't those set up in the most awkward tiny room and far from optimal? Similar, in respect, to those CF-4's laying sideways up on s metal shelf?  🤔

You're right, they're far from optimal but you can hear them from there.  :D

I put them up there because I ran out of room in the small bedroom converted to a Mancave.  I used that pic because my buddy @mustang guy took that pic and it's one of my favorites.

I later moved the CF-4's to the floor like a giant pair of head phones and I have a pair of Umax 15 subs instead of the single 15 which is pictured.  Again, not optimal, but again, you can hear them from there.  B)

5ab466f861508_XPA-5gen1001.thumb.jpg.e34043dd5c74e901fc988b32d753d1e2.jpg

• Haha 1

On 6/15/2019 at 8:51 PM, Oicu812 said:

Didn’t Roy / @Chief bonehead design these?  If so, he knocked this one out of the park!   Thank you, Sir.  I’m a fan of your work.

100% agree. I have my version 1 CF3's paired with a VTA ST-70 tube amp and the combo is hands-down my favorite setup I've ever had; beating out dozens of other speaker/amp combos I've owned over the last twenty+ years.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, Shaun K said:

I really need to stop buying these things :D 

Nah, that just makes you a Premium member of the Epic Owner's Club.  B)

It might even make you president of the club, we haven't had a meeting for a while.  :emotion-21:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Nah, that just makes you a Premium member of the Epic Owner's Club.  B)

It might even make you president of the club, we haven't had a meeting for a while.  :emotion-21:

I'm pretty sure others deserve to be president more than I do :D

This is my 4th pair now.  First pair were some CF-2 I bought in 2013, actually my first Klipsch speakers.  I sold those after moving out here to MN and regret it, but I've since moved on and now have 2 pairs of CF-3 along with the CF-4's I picked up last week.  I just hope my wife doesn't notice when she gets home this weekend...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Shaun K said:

This is my 4th pair now.  First pair were some CF-2 I bought in 2013, actually my first Klipsch speakers.  I sold those after moving out here to MN and regret it, but I've since moved on and now have 2 pairs of CF-3 along with the CF-4's I picked up last week.  I just hope my wife doesn't notice when she gets home this weekend...

4th pair ... awesome

Only got my first pair of CF-3's a couple of months ago ... but keep on looking for CF-4's ... will even try some CF-2's.  Think these are pretty close to Klipsch Pro speakers :) 

BTW ... usually takes my wife a couple of weeks to "find" my new speakers ... when she does it costs me a new designer purse :D 

Cheers, Emile

• Haha 2

Congrats on the new CF4's. 👍 Your speakers look to be in great shape too. Good score.

As to their being close to pro speakers, from what I have read, the drivers were said to come from Klipsch's pro driver shelves,  though I can't confirm that one way or another.       

• Like 1

ON another note,  late afternoon on the 4th,  someone on the next street over was really cranking the tunes, had to be pro gear.  Whatever sub they had, I wanted it, quite tight and banging.    Fight fire with fire I say.   Fired the system up, CF3 mains driven by a Crown K2 with a KLF C-7 center and rears handled by the receiver.  Cueued up Metallica's Through the Never Blue Ray. Skipped to Nothing Else Matters and let her rip until finished, the instrumentals during the closing credits are real nice.  My iPhone decibel app was reading 90db continuous with 115dB peaks.  I was at -20 on the dial and considered that loud enough.  It was as usual, a bit of Epic fun.  They didn't seem to sweat it. Nice.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Hello, i have been looking at this forum for awhile and decided i would join and share my thoughts, i guess im one of the lucky ones,i bought my vers.3 cf4's new in like 95 and have been enjoying them ever sense, i can't imagine what the version 1 and 2's would be like!  These version 3's will hurt you! It is almost unbearably loud! And i love it loud! It is crisp and clear in every detail, you close your eyes and its like they are sitting in the room in front of you, you can hear every detail , the cymbols, the snare, piano, is all there separately, There are times when a song is done and i just smile, shake my head and go wow after all these years of listening to them, and im only running a Sony DE5ES with 110 watts per channel, i agree with some comments i have seen that if it's not a good quality recording it certainly reflects even more so with these epics,i have music and dvd's i don't even bother listening to because, well why bother, it's like watching a tube tv over a high def tv, what's the point lol, i really want to add an amplifier and see what these things will really do before i die! I have been looking on craigslist for a decent amp, not sure if 120 watt per channel amp will be a noticable difference from the 110 i have now, but i don't know alot about amplifiers except the ones i would like are ridiculously high! Hopefully i can find something decent worth the money i can try out soon, i can't imagine what they will do with more power ! They already sound epic!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have seen there are quite a few upgrades thst can be done to these, thought about doing a few simple ones like the dynamat or silicone on the horn abs stiffening the woofer struts, maybe adding some poly foam or try lengthening the port tubes,but not sure if it will make enough difference without doing all of the upgrades such as the drivers and crossovers, those would be the things i would have trouble doing not quite understanding what needs to be replaced or where to get the parts i would need to do it right so for now i am looking for an amp thst will take these to the next level i have yet to hear and go from there, any input or suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks

• Like 1

Hi @Truepiclover ... welcome to the forum :D  Share your feelings about the Epic series, even though I "only" have CF-3's :)  To me they are way better than many of the Heritage speakers I have ... and close to my KPT-904 Pro speakers.

FYI, don't think you will gain anything from going to 120wpc from 110wpc, unless the amp is much, much better.  I switched from 35wpc to 120wpc and did believe there was a difference ... subtle but real.  

Have not made any changes to my CF-3's ... but good info can be found at 

Thanks Emile, I know there are some huge differences in amps, I guess im not smart enough to know why there is even such a thing as a 35 watt amp, i just don't know alot about the technical part of it, i guess a true 35 watt high end tube amp must have a more pure warm sound compared to my 600 watt Sony, it's just something i don't have much experience with

You could start with the cabinet stuff and work your way up to the crossovers then maybe any drivers.  Take note that any screws into the MDF have a finite number of re-uses.  Even taking great care they get looser every time.  Just saying that I wouldn't be taking them apart often to work on them, unless the screws I'd be removing were machine threads into t-nuts.  I don't know what you're going to find in that respect.

The other side of the coin is that if you do everything at once you won't know what to tweak or back off so easily if you find something happened that doesn't suit you.  Using increments combined with familiarization will immediately identify the cause of an offending result, if there is one.

Nice sentences, by the way 8^)

On 7/5/2019 at 5:34 PM, Emile said:

BTW ... usually takes my wife a couple of weeks to "find" my new speakers ... when she does it costs me a new designer purse :D 

Cheers, Emile

I've not heard any of this series but would like to some day. BUT... it sure didn't take my wife long to notice the MWMs when I got them home. Not sure what they will cost me. 🙄

20190814_213016.jpg

• Haha 2

Hey glens, the only thing i have done with them is pulled a horn out to look at the wiring hoping it was clear monster type cable, no such luck of coarse, short tubes,  colored wires, not great news, but i do still love the way they sound, not sure more power would do much for them sense they are the vers.3,i do know the 110 is really working hard, the sony has shut down in protection mode from being over worked many times lol, they just want more power! 

13 hours ago, Truepiclover said:

Hey glens, the only thing i have done with them is pulled a horn out to look at the wiring hoping it was clear monster type cable, no such luck of coarse, short tubes,  colored wires, not great news, but i do still love the way they sound, not sure more power would do much for them sense they are the vers.3,i do know the 110 is really working hard, the sony has shut down in protection mode from being over worked many times lol, they just want more power! 

the version of the speakers does not matter for power,  v1, v2, & v3 will all benefit the same from more/better amplifier power. 

the cf-4 is rated for max power of like 1000 watts, it can handle a lot more power than 110watts from a receiver.  i would suggest looking into a seperate amplifier if your receiver is shutting down from being overworked.  if thats happening then you are driving it too hard & likely getting into clipping or distortion that can damage the speakers.  not sure if youre aware, but you can blow big speakers with even 25-50 watts of power if the amp is over driven to clipping or high distortion.  get a better/higher power amp or receiver or if the receiver has RAC preouts, looks for a good used amp to run the speakers from,  they will sound much better & be much happier with more & cleaner power. 

i've said it before on these epics, dont get too hung up on the version thing, ALL versions of epics sound awsome!  & like many things in the audio world, i would bet that very few people could really hear the difference between a v1, v2 or v3 in a blind A-B test.     

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

i've said it before on these epics, dont get too hung up on the version thing, ALL versions of epics sound awsome!  & like many things in the audio world, i would bet that very few people could really hear the difference between a v1, v2 or v3 in a blind A-B test.     

Amen and I agree with all of this.  Too many get hung up on the versions.  I knew many dealers back in that era and some were my accounts when I was a manufacturers rep for other lines from 2001 to 2009.  I would ask them what they thought of the 3 versions of the Epic series back when they were current.  Most said they could hear minimal to nothing in difference or didn't really care at all.  They were just told "some dealers cried about the sound" and there were some running changes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1