Klipsch Epic Owners Group

kapsnb01

4 hours ago, DirtyErnie said:

BTW, my CF2 won't accept spikes, the feet are just hard rubber nubs.

Nice score on those CF3!

Hi DirtyErnie,

Thanks! I have the CF3's all sanded down and ready for stain now. The feet on the CF3's just screw into the bottom of the cabinets, I am surprised Klipsch didn't use metal inserts like they did on other models.

KIMG0868.jpg

9 hours ago, DirtyErnie said:

Maybe I'll try to unscrew them one day. Didn't pay much attention inside the cabinets when I was bracing.

Maybe the CF2's are different. These carpet spikes for the CF3's are definitely metal. I would guess that at some point in their lives they had the plastic covers for floors other than carpet but those are long gone.

On 11/27/2019 at 12:11 PM, DirtyErnie said:

Maybe I'll try to unscrew them one day. Didn't pay much attention inside the cabinets when I was bracing.

My CF-2's had screw-in spikes.  One was broken when I bought them, so I replaced all 8 with generic spikes from PE: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dss3-sn-satin-nickel-speaker-spike-set-4-pcs--240-678

Here is some information regarding the difference between the K-63-KN (CF-3 & CF-4) vs K-64-KN (CF-2 & KV4) as discussed in some other threads. It was stated they are the same but they are not.

Although the two appear to be exactly the same except for the color and the screen on the snout of the Silver K-64-KN, they are different. The K-64-KN has less output than the K-63-KN due to the size of the driver magnet. The K-64 has a smaller magnet.

The good news is both the drivers use the same diaphragm and are interchangeable.

The aluminum diaphragm is very fragile and a pain to remove. More good news is the diaphragm / phase plug assembly are also interchangeable and an easy swap. Trust me, don't fiddle with changing the diaphragm, just swap the whole assembly.

Here are some pics of what I did last night. I had a bad K-63-KN diaphragm that I swapped assemblies with a good K-64-KN.

If you have questions, I will try to answer.

KIMG0875.jpg

On 12/3/2019 at 12:53 PM, Shaun K said:

My CF-2's had screw-in spikes.  One was broken when I bought them, so I replaced all 8 with generic spikes from PE: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dss3-sn-satin-nickel-speaker-spike-set-4-pcs--240-678

On 11/27/2019 at 10:08 PM, crunchman12001 said:

Maybe the CF2's are different. These carpet spikes for the CF3's are definitely metal. I would guess that at some point in their lives they had the plastic covers for floors other than carpet but those are long gone.

Got a look under them again.  There's rubber caps over some metal feet with a 1/4"-20 thread up the middle.  OK, time to get some spikes.  I like @moray james's idea of the ramset spikes, but really don't feel like picking up a box of 200 to do it. Then again, some goober on eBay is selling that exact thing in a set of 8, with stop-nuts, for the price of the 200-pack.  What a world...

22 hours ago, DirtyErnie said:

Got a look under them again.  There's rubber caps over some metal feet with a 1/4"-20 thread up the middle.  OK, time to get some spikes.  I like @moray james's idea of the ramset spikes, but really don't feel like picking up a box of 200 to do it. Then again, some goober on eBay is selling that exact thing in a set of 8, with stop-nuts, for the price of the 200-pack.  What a world...

I probably still have the extra 7 originals from my CF-2's, if you're interested...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok,

I may have found another pair of V1's...

Question - does anyone know if V1's CF4s' would have still been built in 1995?

46th day

serial number starts with 046954

I believe that means 46th day of 1995, so mid feb 1995.  These have the long ports and lighter colored horn.

• Like 1