Klipsch Epic Owners Group

kapsnb01

32 minutes ago, Randyh said:

what is the difference between  the 3 versions ----------one thing I dont get ,  is the EPIC CF-4  speakers dont have a tweeter ---

The CF-4 is a MTM D'Apolito 2-way design.  It has a very expensive compression driver (I'm thinking like $500-600).  It has a very wide passband which is why it is so smooth in the midrange, there is no Tweeter/mid crossover point to deal with like you have with the 3-way design.

Version 1 was 1994.  It had a 5.5" port tube and is considered the Holy Grail of CF-4's.  This is the model I have.

V2 had a 2.5" port tube and a minor change in the XO.  This can easily be retrofitted back to a v1.

V3 had the 2.5" port and lighter woofers.  This one cannot be retrofitted to a v1 or v2,

16 hours ago, SWL said:

No doubt you have some kick *** speakers. They're next on my list....but I can't get those new Cornwall IV's out of my mind since auditioning them a few months ago......

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have something for you that can tide you over until you get those CWIV's. Send me a PM.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Randyh said:

- Hi Dave --you replaced the driver with a  D1506 right ---------any amelioration versus the K-63KN

Wow great catch!  You had to do some reading to find that one. 

I would say the 1506 has almost exactly the same (great) sound characteristics as the K-63.  The K-63 has a neo magnet and weighs about tour pounds.  The 1506 weighs about 11 pounds.  I'm sure in an A/B test I could not hear a difference.

I've reinforced the box with bracing, added fiberfil, damped the horn lens and added the DH 1506.  The 1506 didn't cost me anything because I sold off both working K-63's for the same price.

By far the best mods were about twenty bucks, damping the horn with a tube of pure silicon caulk and throwing a pound of fiberfil into the bottom.  It made the CF-4 more accurate, it was slightly nasal and had some harshness in the HF, to my ears.

I

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wvu80 said:

The CF-4 is a MTM D'Apolito 2-way design.  It has a very expensive compression driver (I'm thinking like $500-600).  It has a very wide passband which is why it is so smooth in the midrange, there is no Tweeter/mid crossover point to deal with like you have with the 3-way design.

Version 1 was 1994.  It had a 5.5" port tube and is considered the Holy Grail of CF-4's.  This is the model I have.

V2 had a 2.5" port tube and a minor change in the XO.  This can easily be retrofitted back to a v1.

V3 had the 2.5" port and lighter woofers.  This one cannot be retrofitted to a v1 or v2,

What’s this  model I just bought off eBay 

serial number is 26859440

the port tube is measured 5.5

Seems like it doesn’t have monsters cable

tweeter is blown 

I need recommended replacement thanks 

E891D4A1-720B-4F50-ACE9-E6EF27CDB3F9.jpeg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LORDROOTMAN said:

What’s this  model I just bought off eBay 

serial number is 26859440

DOY Y2Y1 ####

268 (1995) 9440

The 5.5" port does not belong with the version2.  It's likely someone tried to retrofit it to the v1 specs.

+++

The blown tweeter is a K-63 KN.  Almost impossible to find.

I use an Electro Voice compression driver, EV DH1506.  It is a very close match and is a screw-on like the K63.  You will need to build an internal shelf or brace for it or it could break the horn lens.

Let me check for another CD.  BRB.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, LORDROOTMAN said:

Any recommended tweeter for replacement 

the one on here is blown thanks 🙏 

I edited my post directly upstream. 

BTW I think I have an extra 1506 if you decide to go that route.  I was saving it to swap into a center speaker project between the CF-4's but that hasn't happened in a few years and being realistic, it's not going to happen.

+++

This will work, but it's not a screw-on drop-in.  It uses a 2 or 3 bolt pattern.  Although I've never used one an adapter is available, problem on PE.

I'll post some more stuff in a minute.

https://www.parts-express.com/bc-de250-8-1-polyimide-horn-driver-8-ohm-2-3-bolt--294-605

This is an article I wrote a few years ago comparing the K-63 horn setup with the SEOS 12" waveguide. 

The SEOS waveguide (horn lens) had a Denovo DNA-360 compression driver.  The DNA 360 is very close to a re-badged B&C 250.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1527228-seos-12-vs-klipsch-horn-i-did-bad-thing.html

23 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I edited my post directly upstream. 

BTW I think I have an extra 1506 if you decide to go that route.  I was saving it to swap into a center speaker project between the CF-4's but that hasn't happened in a few years and being realistic, it's not going to happen.

+++

This will work, but it's not a screw-on drop-in.  It uses a 2 or 3 bolt pattern.  Although I've never used one an adapter is available, problem on PE.

I'll post some more stuff in a minute.

https://www.parts-express.com/bc-de250-8-1-polyimide-horn-driver-8-ohm-2-3-bolt--294-605

Pm me the price you’re selling yours 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LORDROOTMAN said:

Pm me the price you’re selling yours 

PM sent.

I'm not actively trying to sell but if I can pass it along to someone in need I'm happy to do it.  Especially for a fellow CF-4 guy!  🤜🤛

EDIT:  I may have fibbed to you, I can't find it.  It was already boxed up and I thought I knew exactly where it was, but I guess I don't.  Let me keep looking, I'll try to find it.   -Dave

• Thanks 1

I have something for you that can tide you over until you get those CWIV's. Send me a PM.
Thanks. I'll have to wait and see what kind of year I have. Then it'll be a coin flip between CF-4's or Cornwall IV's.

Understood. Was just just in case you were looking now.
That's cool. Looks like you're not too far away either. Wutcha got? Wanna send me some pics and a price?

In the meantime I've got my two pairs of hot rodded 30's so I'm in no big hurry.