Klipsch Epic Owners Group

kapsnb01

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

My only point is that there are three basic kinds of glue we commonly use on wood enclosures:  white glue, yellow glue and polyurethane.  In sealing an enclosure like the CF-4, any of these will work.  The only advantage I've seen to the poly glue is if you are going for an air-tight seal,t hen the expanding properties can be of some use.  But I assure you if you use each of the other wood glues, they will flow into any fissures and seal it just as tight.

My preference is for the yellow glue like Titebond II because it is the most viscous of yellow/white and gives me more time to work with my project if I screw up.

Hah!  Not "if", but "when."  🤣

thanks, i wasnt questioning the types of glue.  my main point was about the price, its 5 or 6 bucks at most places.  i have used both types of glue many times, just saying the GG is great for the loose board but not removing it situation,  when it expands it grabs more area than a glue that just sits there.  if you put down a 1/8" bead of wood glue thats all the area it grabs but the GG will be 3x that much when cured & expands into any gaps more than just thick glue will from gravity.  i agree both types will work, just my preference when fixing loose boards without removing the whole back panel.   

• Like 2

20 hours ago, kck said:

Looking for a replacement diaphragm for an epic CF-4 K-63-KN horn.  

There aren't any and the K-63 itself is un-obtanium.  I haven't seen one for sale in years.  There are still a couple of alternatives.

An excellent replacement is the Electrovoice EV DH1506.  You can find these on the used market from time-to-time.  They are screw-in but are much heavier than the K-63 and some mods are needed inside the enclosure.  They are easy to do, it just takes a little time.  These are usually about $150 pair shipped. 

Note:  I just checked Ebay and it seems I am out of touch with prices.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=dh+1506&_sacat=0

B&C makes an excellent sounding CD that sounds like the K-63.  You can buy these new from PE.  You will need the adaptor plate, since this is a bolt-on type and you need a screw-on type.

https://www.parts-express.com/bc-de250-8-1-polyimide-horn-driver-8-ohm-2-3-bolt--294-605

https://www.parts-express.com/eminence-s2b-a-aluminum-1-3-8-18-tpi-screw-on-to-2-3-bolt-horn-adapter--290-561

Here, some dummy (me) compared them.  It looks like all my pictures in that article have been deleted.

Note:  The Denovo DNA-360 referred to in the article is a re-badged B&C DE250.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1527228-seos-12-vs-klipsch-horn-i-did-bad-thing.html

post-58280-0-01200000-1409149885_thumb.jpgpost-58280-0-41400000-1411041458_thumb.jpgpost-58280-0-27040000-1411041499_thumb.jpg

post-58280-0-44540000-1397445613_thumb.jpgpost-58280-0-98220000-1397622440_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Just came across this review from 1995. 

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Audio/Archive-Audio/90s/Audio-1995-07.pdf

New to CF3 ownership and the hobby in general but thought the impedance curve was interesting. If I'm understanding this correctly this means the amplifier needs to be able to handle loads as low as 2.9 ohms for short periods of time? 

Thus far on my old Optonica SA5405 amplifier (65w /channel) I've hit the protection circuit twice, while at high volume (12 o clock on the volume knob, but I could tell it was at max power - speakers were not distorting) and when the bass was heavy. Perhaps the old amplifier was struggling with the impedance dropping so low.

Learning new stuff everyday! I'm still shopping for a more capable amplifier but the old Optonica is keeping a smile on my face as the journey unfolds.

image.png.394d20477defa6aba6f8eefd34e9fa27.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zack R said:

Just came across this review from 1995. 

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Audio/Archive-Audio/90s/Audio-1995-07.pdf

New to CF3 ownership and the hobby in general but thought the impedance curve was interesting. If I'm understanding this correctly this means the amplifier needs to be able to handle loads as low as 2.9 ohms for short periods of time? 

Thus far on my old Optonica SA5405 amplifier (65w /channel) I've hit the protection circuit twice, while at high volume (12 o clock on the volume knob, but I could tell it was at max power - speakers were not distorting) and when the bass was heavy. Perhaps the old amplifier was struggling with the impedance dropping so low.

Learning new stuff everyday! I'm still shopping for a more capable amplifier but the old Optonica is keeping a smile on my face as the journey unfolds.

image.png.394d20477defa6aba6f8eefd34e9fa27.png

Interesting...I haven't run into any clipping or protection issues and I've used 4-5 different amps now.  I also have an Optonica SA-5206 here but I've never hooked it up to my CF's, might have to give that a shot this weekend.

Hey Zack,

Thanks for finding the link to the Epic review, the first I've seen I think and quite thorough.  For those interested, you have to scroll down to page 62 to find it.  A couple of points in reading it.  The CF3 speakers tested had 2.5" ports, an efficiency rating of 94.3 dB.   He measured 110dB at 26hz and 120dB at 35hz, so fairly decent bass output.   

• Like 2

Have not read alot lately here.

Have my new to me CF-1 since

last weekend.

First limited impression is I am happy. Read all the reviews and

had been wanting one to see.

My 45 wpc integrated had to

be turned up way farther than

usual for streaming YouTube

music. Then with a CD it was 

around half volume for mo

derate level. Will try my TT next

to see. Knew it known underpowered from the forum.

Will find out which version.

Still not bad for the vintage amp.

Yaay!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello All!

(Long Time Lurker, 1st Time Post)

I'm still attempting to wrap my head at the fact that I managed to get a pair of very-good Condition Klipsch Epic CF-3s. On top of that, they're Version 1s! 

I've always made sure to get Klipsch when it comes to home audio, but I've always wanted to own a pair of 'vintage' Klipsch speakers and I'm very fortunate to have found and-now Own a pair. These will be replacing my RF-82iis

So with that out of the way, I'm currently still looking at past comments to see if they can help guide me regarding how to power these beasts, but I do have some initial questions...

• Do y'all recommend putting them on risers? Making the horn more ear-level?
  • For right now, I will be using them as a Home Theater configuration, What modern Amplifier would you suggest goes well with the CF3s? I've seen a few members highly recommend Crown amps. (My current AVR is a Pioneer Elite SC-71)
    • Since I'm in cooperating them in my Home theater setup, any recommendations for Center Speaker to compliment CF3s power?
  • From what I can tell/hear, everything works beautifully, but in case a part fails & knowing replacement parts for close to nonexistent for the Klipsch Epics, where do you guys go for replacement parts
  • Anything else you would suggest for someone who is new to the Klipsch Epic speaker line? 

I appreciate you taking the time and answering my questions and glad to be a part of a very select Klipsch fanbase! 

hD7nEvN.jpg

XwOPbiv.jpg

rC5mxHt.jpg

V_O_R

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Voice_Of_Reason said:

Hello All!

(Long Time Lurker, 1st Time Post)

I'm still attempting to wrap my head at the fact that I managed to get a pair of very-good Condition Klipsch Epic CF-3s. On top of that, they're Version 1s! 

I've always made sure to get Klipsch when it comes to home audio, but I've always wanted to own a pair of 'vintage' Klipsch speakers and I'm very fortunate to have found and-now Own a pair. These will be replacing my RF-82iis

So with that out of the way, I'm currently still looking at past comments to see if they can help guide me regarding how to power these beasts, but I do have some initial questions...

• Do y'all recommend putting them on risers? Making the horn more ear-level?
  • For right now, I will be using them as a Home Theater configuration, What modern Amplifier would you suggest goes well with the CF3s? I've seen a few members highly recommend Crown amps. (My current AVR is a Pioneer Elite SC-71)
    • Since I'm in cooperating them in my Home theater setup, any recommendations for Center Speaker to compliment CF3s power?
  • From what I can tell/hear, everything works beautifully, but in case a part fails & knowing replacement parts for close to nonexistent for the Klipsch Epics, where do you guys go for replacement parts
  • Anything else you would suggest for someone who is new to the Klipsch Epic speaker line? 

I appreciate you taking the time and answering my questions and glad to be a part of a very select Klipsch fanbase! 

hD7nEvN.jpg

XwOPbiv.jpg

rC5mxHt.jpg

V_O_R

Have not checked recently but Bob Crites offered new mid/high driver diaphragms for the horn in the cf3/4s. As for amps, what kind of budget are planing to work with?

https://critesspeakers.com/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

VOR, we have been waiting for you to come. Welcome!

Another Epic speaker for center is one option and not necessarily a 3.

Guess a 1 or 2 could be used as it is in HT setup if able to find a single speaker. Not familiar with the watts per channel of the Pioneer model to mains and center. Not sure which Klipsch center you have now but fairly certain the AVR has been enough.

Thinking your unit has preouts for connecting to an external amplifier.

My new to me CF-1'S want more power than able to put to it with 50 wpc so thinking of going at least 125 wpc myself. Thinking in your case 150 to alot. Have you tried just the 2 in stereo mode with the AVR?

As for ear level, the design with HF in the middle, think no  elevation needed.

See someone more experienced with these chiming in...cool.

@Voice_Of_Reason

• Like 1

congrats on the cf3! they are keepers.  i dont think stock type replacement diaphrams are made for the epics but there are aftermarket options,  @wvu80 used an aftermarket mid/tweet driver & says they are better than the original klipsch units but are pricey.  

depending on your seating distance, i dont think you need risers, cf3/4 are very tall speakers & if youre sitting ~10-12ft away your ear should be pretty close,  plus the angle of the horn disperses the sound upwards.  lifting speakers off the floor reduces the bass output,  i would locate them in a corner if possible & play with the tow in & distance from back & side walls...since they are front ported you can get pretty close to the back wall. 

the KV4 is the closest match to the epics, i would avoid the smaller KV like kv3, its got a smaller tweeter horn & is lacking in sound compared to the bigger model... for now i bet the center you have will sound pretty good, i used a rc3ii with a set of cf4 & kg5.5 for awhile & it sounded pretty good. i originally had a KV3 with the KG5.5, when i got the newer rc3 it was a huge improvement over the KV. 

as for power, these are very efficient speakers so you dont need huge power, but they do shine on bigger solid state power if you like to listen loud... like rock concert loud.  otherwise since you are also using them for home theater, i think any decent brand AVR with ~100wpc will be plenty... i had my cf4 running mainly on a 100wpc onkyo AVR & they would play as loud as i wanted in a medium size room on music & more than enough for movies. use what you have for now & decide if you really need to spend money on separate amps or maybe just upgrade to a better AVR with more power & features. my current onkyo AVR has 130wpc & will drive efficient speakers like these louder than most people will ever listen to for a music/movie mixed system.   

• Like 3

Welcome to the club! My CF3's are the same color and from the same month as yours (August 1994).

As for amplifier selection go with a higher wattage than you think you will need (100w+ per channel). These are not as sensitive as the specs would lead you to believe and require a decent amount of power. I'm currently running a Yamaha A-S801 and enjoy the ability to adjust the tone controls to bring out the best sound for my listening area.

image.png.1b9a4d3b63a805365e473b5c7f86e7cd.png