Klipsch Epic Owners Group

kapsnb01

Room size definitely plays a role in wattage requirements, meaning a bigger room will require more power to fill. 

In years past I used to think more speakers were better, such a 5.1 system, etc... However since I've moved to a 2 channel setup I couldn't be happier. The CF3's are more than capable when it comes to filling a room with an all encompassing sound, providing that feeling that you are "there", unable to discern where the speakers are placed with your eyes closed. Additionally, the "controlled focus" of these seems to minimize reflections within the room and really does place the detail right at your ear. Distortion is a non issue, you will experience physical pain before these start to distort.

For normal listening in a smaller room these won't need high wattage. In a larger setting where you can let them really run, this is where you will find out if an amplifier has what it takes.

In summary, all you will need is a solid 2 channel amp with the CF3's. A sub is a maybe, but those 10's can dig pretty deep. 

Enjoy!

• Like 1

I guess, I could add to this.  I do not use mine in a HT setup but i wanted to just list how I run mine.

I have them running from a cayin a50t in trilinear @ 16 watts .  The volume  knob is only at  10'o clock  and I do get bass from them in my vinyl setup.

So they can sound very good with low wattage. I sit about 6-7 feet from them.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Zack R said:

Room size definitely plays a role in wattage requirements, meaning a bigger room will require more power to fill. 

In years past I used to think more speakers were better, such a 5.1 system, etc... However since I've moved to a 2 channel setup I couldn't be happier. The CF3's are more than capable when it comes to filling a room with an all encompassing sound, providing that feeling that you are "there", unable to discern where the speakers are placed with your eyes closed. Additionally, the "controlled focus" of these seems to minimize reflections within the room and really does place the detail right at your ear. Distortion is a non issue, you will experience physical pain before these start to distort.

For normal listening in a smaller room these won't need high wattage. In a larger setting where you can let them really run, this is where you will find out if an amplifier has what it takes.

In summary, all you will need is a solid 2 channel amp with the CF3's. A sub is a maybe, but those 10's can dig pretty deep. 

Enjoy!

Thanks for the input @Zack R, that's good to know. I think for now, what I have powering the CF3s (Pioneer Elite) is good for the space I'm in. However, if I come across a too good of a deal to pass up on an Amp, I'll prolly pull the trigger. Unless, I move to a bigger room, which I'm pretty sure the Wife will not allow. lol

V_O_R

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Shiva said:

Just did a quick look around for used prices on that amp. Didn't find any for sale or sold for prices either on Ebay.  Pretty rare piece it seems these days.     380 watts a side and about 100 pounds too. I kind of remember when I did see them on the used market going anywhere from $800 to about $1100 or so. Does the guy have a price he wants for it?        

Well, apparently the guy has 2 Rotel 1090s but has listed his whole setup (Rotel am fm, Rotel tuner. Rotel cd player) and does not want to sell separately. So might be hard getting him to sell me 1 of his 1090s.

However, he's listed the whole setup for $1900 which i think is a huge deal when considering the 2 Rotel 1090s. 

Rotel Setup Facebook Listing

...maybe I should just buy everything, lol

V_O_R

2 hours ago, _rod_serling_ said:

I guess, I could add to this.  I do not use mine in a HT setup but i wanted to just list how I run mine.

I have them running from a cayin a50t in trilinear @ 16 watts .  The volume  knob is only at  10'o clock  and I do get bass from them in my vinyl setup.

So they can sound very good with low wattage. I sit about 6-7 feet from them.

Sounds like a nice warm setup you got there @_rod_serling_! Some time in the future, when I switch my setup to a 2-channel exclusively for music, I would like to get a tube amp. I'm also starting to see a common agreement that since the CF3s are sensitive, there really isn't much need for a lot of power to drive them, which is nice to know & reassuring! 

V_O_R

• Like 1

A thing mentioned by Zack, is how well the Epics disappear into the soundstage.  I love that in a speaker and look for that quality and the CF3's can do just that. Disappear within the music. 

V_O_R,--  offer the guy $700 for one and mention that from the voice of reason, 👍 that most buyers will not want or need a complete system or 2 #100 pound amps, though he will still have a complete system to sell after selling you one. He may have a long wait,  though, some might buy it all to flip.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LORDROOTMAN said:

Still hunting for CF4 V1 

what year  will be this serial number ?

thanks 

E3FB4323-F3FA-4957-B745-5D4AD89C7A32.jpeg

I saw those on Seattle craigslist. His serial number is only 7 digits, but should be 9. And it looks like a sticker he's made himself. Based on the use of hyphens between "epic CF4 CHERRY" and the darker black horn lens, I'd say that these are probably not version 1.

I thought about contacting him about the goofy serial number, but I have no room for another pair of CF4's right now. No reason to ask questions if I'm not buying.

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, 314carpenter said:

There is that, and more... again, from the reviews. It's not like Klipsch has the only anechoic chamber on earth.

The actual anechoic chamber is not just a fluke. So, will take any reviews with a grain of salt. Also, unless being done by a professional group of non biased technicians with an actual chamber, not software based, would question their motivation..

Just me... thanks.

3 hours ago, LORDROOTMAN said:

Still hunting for CF4 V1 

what year  will be this serial number ?

thanks 

E3FB4323-F3FA-4957-B745-5D4AD89C7A32.jpeg

yeah that serial number is not right.  the tag looks original but he or someone definitely put a label over the original number. for epics & other models of this era the first 3 numbers are the day of the year, the next 2 numbers are the year backwards,  so for example  26549 would be the 265th day & 94 is the year.   

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Voice_Of_Reason said:

I'm currently in talks with someone, possibly buying his Rotel RB1090.

Looks like it was on a rack its entire life and seems to be in great shape. What would be a decent price to ask for it? 

Welcome to the Klipsch forums @Voice_Of_Reason.  Starting here with CF-3's are a great conversation starter!  It looks like you've gotten some great advice ^^^ already.

Adding a power amp is a great idea.  It gives you greater headroom, more dynamics especially when played at higher volumes.

I may have missed the earlier post, do you have a blown driver?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

That serial number does not match the known code.  It should be DOY Y2Y1 XXXX (x=serial number)

If were seller, would

like to think would have taken a good picture of both before whatever this add on stiicker is about. The sig's are good enough to read.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, billybob said:

The actual anechoic chamber is not just a fluke. So, will take any reviews with a grain of salt. Also, unless being done by a professional group of non biased technicians with an actual chamber, not software based, would question their motivation..

Just me... thanks.

In continuing the discussion on sensitivity ratings, I was just reading some news, and this popped up. Quote from and link to the review.

What helps to make the RP-8000F an easier load than many other speakers is its above average sensitivity. I measured its sensitivity as 92.1 dB for 2.83v at 1 meter. That isn’t bad; it’s better than most speakers in this type and price class. However, it is significantly below what Klipsch specifies for it which is 98 dB for 2.83v at 1 meter. That is quadruple the sensitivity that I measured. Klipsch is using an in-room estimation of sensitivity that factors in a quarter-space environment over a greater distance. It is true that the in-room sensitivity would be increased, but I think that should be stated in their specs if that is their reasoning for their sensitivity rating. We've seen this discrepancy in other Klipsch products so it doesn't seem to be a statistical outlier in how the brand rates sensitivity of their products.

https://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/klipsch-rp-8000f/conclusion

• Like 1

On 9/23/2020 at 9:29 AM, Shiva said:

V_O_R,--  offer the guy $700 for one and mention that from the voice of reason, 👍 that most buyers will not want or need a complete system or 2 #100 pound amps, though he will still have a complete system to sell after selling you one. He may have a long wait,  though, some might buy it all to flip.  

Yeah I offered him $700 but he said the whole "I bought these for $2K a piece, back in the day" bit...and is gonna try and sell them for $800 each on reverb. 

I was trying to tell him, the shipping cost alone will eat from his profit and would be easier to just sell to me, in person. He said he'll think about it, lol. So we'll see. Keep ya updated. 

Pretty pleased what I'm hearing from the CF3s right now though, so I don't mind waiting a lil longer before getting an amp. 

V_O_R

• Like 2