Klipsch Epic Owners Group

kapsnb01

On 10/2/2020 at 5:25 PM, Shiva said:

One way to check value is look at the completed listings on Ebay. In green, the sold for price.  Here are the ones listed.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=b%26k+ex4420&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Complete=1

Thanks for looking this up @Shiva! Yeah I've been talking back and forth with seller. He seems reluctant to actually sell it, lol

Keep y'all updated if I end up picking it up!

V_O_R

I'm currently in talks with a seller for a B&K EX4420, but this Carver M-1.5t was just listed for $300 (I'm currently trying to get additional pictures for overall condition of amp)

Looks like this Carver amp pumps out 350w continuous :wacko2:

Are these two very similar or very different amps? I've been doing some light research and it seems a lot of Carver owners also pair the amp with a C1 pre-amp. I also saw that some people have stated Carver amp tend to have reliability issues and send their equipment for repair to Carver Audio repair

Will it just be easier to get the B&K for a slightly higher price than deal with the potential of having problems and repair services of the more aged-Carver M-1.5t amp? 

Sorry for all the questions, but I really appreciate everyone's input! :biggrin:

V_O_R

Screenshot_20201007-081425.png

About the Carver, they have great group of members on their forum. The gear is good, but they all are now in need of restoration. I would not say reliability is the problem, just that they did not age as well as some others have. Plan for $450 restoration and 4-6 months turn around. There is only one legitimately reliable location for the full Monty restorations. For that much time and money, it is best left for the true fans. There are better options currently. Better know what you are doing and have a deep stack when blind buying 30-40 year old used electronics. I have seen top of the line house name amplifiers completely toasted after 10 years of use.

• Thanks 1

On 10/1/2020 at 10:21 AM, Shiva said:

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Audio/Archive-Audio/90s/Audio-1995-07.pdf

One other point stated in the review of the Epic CF3  in the link, is that Klipsch recommended that the speakers be slightly tilted up towards the ear of the listener for best results, which the reviewer did.  He took measurements tilted and not and got better measurements tilted up. A review worth reading for Epic owners.👍

Wow. I thought it was wrong to tilt these up AND he said Klipsch recommended it, but i wonder if Roy recommends it?  Need to try this with my CF-3 v. 1. I absolutely love them!

Anyone got recommendations for a sturdy enough tilted stands that can support the weight of CF-3/4?

• Like 2

On 10/4/2020 at 9:46 AM, Shiva said:

In regards to how much power the Epics might demand on ones system, there used to be a guy on this forum called Cleve.  He had a 5.1 Epic system in his home, 3 CF4's in front, 2 CF3's for rear surrounds. 👍 All powered by 300 watt per channel Mcintosh gear. He would take pics of the meters, pegged at 300 watts playing music.  So, they may draw more power than one would think or need. I think it better to have more than less.   

Nice! I use a bridged McIntosh MC7106 320wpc 3x for my CF3 and KV4, i wish i had a center CF-3 set up. My Mac doesn't have the autoformers though, and red meters that gives a very 80s, early 90s tech feel to it that i love. I dream of true big mac amps with pretty blue eyes,  but this still sounds nice with the MX120. KV-4 kind of sucks though. :( Been wondering if there are ways to improve it.  Better 8" drivers, a KLF-C7 crossover from Bob which i believe has the same xover point. Or perhaps take an rc-7 and put the kv-4 aluminum cd in the rc-7 which should be screw on iirc.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, billybob said:

There is a thread on KG-4 where a member is using a build to tilt them. Looked pretty solid and substantial.

CF-3 weighs in at 102lbs so not sure if something built for a kg4 would do it, but i'll take a look, thanks.  I shouldn't have even asked though to be honest because i'm just now remembering how ridiculously expensive speaker stands can get. I'm not a handy man either. Small hands. 

• Like 1

For the CF3/4 I'm thinking the amount of tilt is fairly small unless you are sitting really close. I'd start with some shims under the front to fine tune the tilt angle and once satisfied make a low profile solid stand for permanent use.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Maximus89 said:

CF-3 weighs in at 102lbs so not sure if something built for a kg4 would do it, but i'll take a look, thanks.  I shouldn't have even asked though to be honest because i'm just now remembering how ridiculously expensive speaker stands can get. I'm not a handy man either. Small hands. 

I'm liking idea just above...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Maximus89 said:

Here:

Build in thread...

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I made some homebrew stands for my CF-4 to pick them up about 13", which gets the center of the horn at my ear level. Before I had tried tilting them back in every position I have at my disposal, but nothing sounds as good as just getting them off the ground. Even with them tilted, I felt that the sound was still shooting up at me, like I was Gulliver listening to a tiny band of musicians on the floor.

My stands are more like low end-tables, because speaker stands only 13" high and sturdy enough for these speakers would have to be custom made. I found some 1.75" thick plywood at an architectural material recycler in town, and bought 8 hairpin legs to make up the rest of the height. I could paint them or get some nice trim pieces to hide the plies, but I kind of like the look now. Maybe cherry veneer to match the speakers? All in I think I spent about $110 for the set, but I had a circular saw and a straight edge to cut the plywood to the right size.

CF-4 Stands.jpg

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Maxwell_E said:

I could paint them or get some nice trim pieces to hide the plies, but I kind of like the look now. Maybe cherry veneer to match the speakers? 

https://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Coat-Filler-Non-Toxic-Environmentally/dp/B00LEFWGWA

+

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/dupli-color-3391/paint---body-repair-16614/paint-25201/paint---lacquer-17769/de1f28247258/dupli-color-12-ounce-black-spray-paint/dal1608/4268070

Done

57 minutes ago, Maxwell_E said:

I made some homebrew stands for my CF-4 to pick them up about 13", which gets the center of the horn at my ear level. Before I had tried tilting them back in every position I have at my disposal, but nothing sounds as good as just getting them off the ground. Even with them tilted, I felt that the sound was still shooting up at me, like I was Gulliver listening to a tiny band of musicians on the floor.

My stands are more like low end-tables, because speaker stands only 13" high and sturdy enough for these speakers would have to be custom made. I found some 1.75" thick plywood at an architectural material recycler in town, and bought 8 hairpin legs to make up the rest of the height. I could paint them or get some nice trim pieces to hide the plies, but I kind of like the look now. Maybe cherry veneer to match the speakers? All in I think I spent about $110 for the set, but I had a circular saw and a straight edge to cut the plywood to the right size.

CF-4 Stands.jpg

Do the open stands affect the bass response? I've thought about making some stands but would make them out of solid wood.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Zack R said:

Do the open stands affect the bass response? I've thought about making some stands but would make them out of solid wood.

Not that I can tell, no. My room has some weird wall alcoves and a vaulted ceiling, so bass response isn't the best anyway. I feel that the woofers are very low excursion and make it up with surface area, so I describe the bass as "controlled" or "polite". Maybe if I sat further away, or attenuated the horn a little I could crank them further, but it is what it is for the moment.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Maxwell_E said:

CF-4 Stands.jpg

Nice stands! Very modern looking. Any significant listening difference?

I felt the same way when I tried tilting them, as if there was some wavelengths shooting over me. So just have mine on leveled dollies at ear-level, currently. 

V_O_R

• Like 1

Just an update on my journey for a power amp to drive my CF3s...

After speaking with a local seller (for over a month), I managed to get a like-new EMOTIVA XPA-2 (Gen1) 2 Channel Audiophile Power Amplifier for $600 🤑

*Power Output: 250 Watts x 2 into 8 Ohms

Original box and manual included. 

This is my 1st high-end power amp, so doing some research on how everything should be setup. Any suggestions or experience with EMOTIVAs?

Nevertheless, I'm sure this will push the Epic CF3s to the max! 🤩

T5kHbbD.jpg

BplV2H3.jpg

CxgLns4.jpg

V_O_R

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Voice_Of_Reason said:

Just an update on my journey for a power amp to drive my CF3s...

After speaking with a local seller (for over a month), I managed to get a like-new EMOTIVA XPA-2 (Gen1) 2 Channel Audiophile Power Amplifier for $600 🤑

*Power Output: 250 Watts x 2 into 8 Ohms

Original box and manual included. 

This is my 1st high-end power amp, so doing some research on how everything should be setup. Any suggestions or experience with EMOTIVAs?

Nevertheless, I'm sure this will push the Epic CF3s to the max! 🤩

T5kHbbD.jpg

BplV2H3.jpg

CxgLns4.jpg

V_O_R

Congrats! If your preamp has the means use only XLR cables instead of unbalanced RCA interconnects.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Alexander said:

Congrats! If your preamp has the means use only XLR cables instead of unbalanced RCA interconnects.

this is not always a recommendation which is true especially with the quasi balanced amps on the market today. Running some of them single ended may well sound better. Run the amp both ways and see what your ears and your toes tell you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Alexander said:

11 hours ago, moray james said:

this is not always a recommendation which is true especially with the quasi balanced amps on the market today. Running some of them single ended may well sound better. Run the amp both ways and see what your ears and your toes tell you.

Thanks for the input, as of right now I can only setup via unbalanaced (RCA) since it will be connected to my Pioneer Elite receiver and does not offer XLR components. 

I have a feeling, I'm now gonna want to upgrade my receiver to a better DAC decoding lol 😅

V_O_R