Klipsch Epic Owners Group

kapsnb01

12 hours ago, moray james said:

this is not always a recommendation which is true especially with the quasi balanced amps on the market today. Running some of them single ended may well sound better. Run the amp both ways and see what your ears and your toes tell you.

Hmm, my xpa-1 amps are full differential and believed that the xpa-2 was too, but after some digging I see it is not. So I agree given the option one should listen to both configurations to see what one likes .

• Thanks 1

Nice amp! I'm half debating getting a Primare A30.5 that's on Craigslist near me. It's a 5 channel, which will let me do the 3.1 home theater idea I've been cooking up. Not sure I've heard Primare before, but the price seems pretty good for a 5 channel amp with individual power transformers for each channel.

And no specific listening notes, it just puts the musicians at the right height. And I can vacuum under the speakers, which is a plus.

• Like 2

Took an hour and measured my CF2's, Serial #'s 2335970xx

Low Frequencies:  Blue line is the later-series port (shorter), red line is with a construction paper tube to extend that port to first-series length, ~5" if I remember.
Pretty typical for a ported cabinet.  Looks like the shorter port tunes at around 38Hz, longer port is around 32Hz.  Impedance peaks shuffle around a bit, but the lower peak is always lower than the upper peak indicating they're maybe both tuned a bit 'low' for the drivers in the box.

High Frequencies: Definitely seeing the effect of the Constant-Directivity crossover attenuating lower horn frequencies to give the horn a 'rising slope'.  Surprised to see the impedance settle out to around 4 ohms at the top, considering the 8-ohm driver used, and the 8-ohm nominal impedance of the cabinet.

CF2 Impedance Hi.PNG

CF2 Impedance Low.PNG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really can't tell much of a difference in just casual listening, but most of the stuff I'm listening to doesn't get down that deep anyways.
The extensions are mostly an "ehhhh.... I made 'em, so they're staying in there" thing at this point. My bass test track is "Dare" by Gorillaz, and everything fails that 20Hz synth tone except for serious home theater subs.  I don't yet have a serious home theater sub.
Maybe the shorter ports would have a little less IM distortion from the 40-60hz signal, but I'm probably not ever playing loud enough to notice.  Haven't done any REW type sweeps, since I'm not yet set up for it, but a multi-amp set-up is in the future plans.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, DirtyErnie said:

Just 'cuz I could, same graphs on a logarithmic scale, 'cuz octaves and stuff.

CF2 Impedance Hi log.PNG

CF2 Impedance Low Log.PNG

Alright no sub. Have had the CF-1s

for about 2-3 months now and like the bass. I tend to listen to a moderate to loud so. Will remember your port mod, results.

Mid 30's Hz is pretty deep bass for a full-range speaker cabinet.  But, you're looking at a ported cabinet 24db/octave roll-off below the lowest impedance dip.  On the blue trace, that would put 20Hz at somewhere around 20dB down from the port tuning.  'Minimum useful' frequency is (from what I've ever seen) about -10dB, probably in the neighborhood of 25Hz.

The 12" JBL sub I have only goes down to about 25Hz, so I'm getting along just fine without a sub until I get some sort of serious thing that doesn't roll off until below 20hz.

bass sweep

Ran this again, Definitely comes on good at 35Hz, and then a little shallow until almost 60Hz, but my room, my mess, my problem.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Guys

First time posting here. I’m a big Klipsch fan. I have some CF 3 version 2s that I have been listening to for about three years now. I graduated from my previous favorite some KLF 10s. The only mods I’ve done are Dynamat on the horns and I built some stands to get the horns to ear level. When I first got the speakers I noticed that one driver K1022 was rubbing/ dragging on the voice coil so I swapped out one of the 10 inch drivers from the KLF 10s K1056. The physical differences that I could see is the K1022 has a much stiffer cone and it has the smaller neodymium magnet. If anyone has a spare K1022 driver to sell let me know Thanks.

Recently I acquired some Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2 TLs there Polk’s flagship speakers in very nice shape. So I had to A B compare them with my CF 3s. I run a Yamaha M 85 amp and a CX 1000 pre. At first listening the Polk’s sounded great with nice base and a very wide sound stage. But when I listened to the Klipsch I noticed that the midrange was clearer and that I preferred the Klipsch base. Over the next 2 weeks I had 5 other audiophile friends over Separately to compare Polk vs Klipsch. Long story short everyone preferred the Klipsch sound even my wife!!!
got some photos to check out, let me know if you can part with a K1022 driver, also wondering what CF 4s sound like?

BCEDCC4F-1115-4DE9-B77D-8CFF13E0F49E.jpeg

EC6BF548-7AF1-4162-A2E0-4EA114D894BA.jpeg

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Indyklotz said:

Hi Guys

First time posting here. I’m a big Klipsch fan. I have some CF 3 version 2s that I have been listening to for about three years now. I graduated from my previous favorite some KLF 10s. The only mods I’ve done are Dynamat on the horns and I built some stands to get the horns to ear level. When I first got the speakers I noticed that one driver K1022 was rubbing/ dragging on the voice coil so I swapped out one of the 10 inch drivers from the KLF 10s K1056. The physical differences that I could see is the K1022 has a much stiffer cone and it has the smaller neodymium magnet. If anyone has a spare K1022 driver to sell let me know Thanks.

Recently I acquired some Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2 TLs there Polk’s flagship speakers in very nice shape. So I had to A B compare them with my CF 3s. I run a Yamaha M 85 amp and a CX 1000 pre. At first listening the Polk’s sounded great with nice base and a very wide sound stage. But when I listened to the Klipsch I noticed that the midrange was clearer and that I preferred the Klipsch base. Over the next 2 weeks I had 5 other audiophile friends over Separately to compare Polk vs Klipsch. Long story short everyone preferred the Klipsch sound even my wife!!!
got some photos to check out, let me know if you can part with a K1022 driver, also wondering what CF 4s sound like?

BCEDCC4F-1115-4DE9-B77D-8CFF13E0F49E.jpeg

EC6BF548-7AF1-4162-A2E0-4EA114D894BA.jpeg

Welcome to the forum!

Hi Guys

Recently I acquired some Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2 TLs there flagship speakers in very nice shape. So I had to A B compare them with my CF 3s. I run a Yamaha M 85 amp and a CX 1000 pre. At first listening the Polk’s sounded great with nice base and a very wide sound stage. But when I listened to the Klipsch I noticed that the midrange was clearer and that I preferred the Klipsch base. Over the next 2 weeks I had 5 other audiophile friends over Separately to compare Polk vs Klipsch everyone liked the Klipsch better!!!
got some photos to check out, let me know if you can part with a K1022 driver, looking for some CF 4s

Edited by Indyklotz
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Shiva said:

He mentioned that he built them himself.  Being that the Epics are 41" tall, I would guesstimate that they are about 18" high. 

Thanks, Shiva--appreciate your help! I didn't notice that detail until you pointed it out. Seems like a good design for the stands. I wish I could hear them!

Triceratops

The stands are 16.5” tall which puts the center of the horns at 40” which is at ear-level for me. Originally, I put spikes on the stands but I found the bass to be too much.  My wife wasn’t happy when it rearranged the dishes in the China hutch in the next room. They are mostly made of 2X4s, sheet metal, screws and glue from Home Depot. I can take some pictures from behind if you like.

• Like 2