Klipsch Epic Owners Group

kapsnb01

22 hours ago, Maximus89 said:

Its strange because I had 320 wpc bridged via a McIntosh amp and my CF3s were beefy and I had all the bass I could want. I then unbridged and went back to 100wpc but trying to integrate my RSW15 sub. Enjoyed that for a while but now I went back to 320wpc without the sub and I feel like my bass is really weak and the drivers are barely waking up at moderate levels. Strangest thing. Ive been so bugged about it for the past few days. Is it all perception? I got used to a subwoofer that the normal full range of the cf3 just isn't enough or is it some setting i must have changed. I dont know and still trying to figure it out, but they sound beautiful in the midrange with my new dac and even the top end is, but the bass is really weak. Plugged my power amp straight to wall from my non current limiting power conditioner and no difference.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Do you have the speakers set to small or are you running them full range?  

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, David1964 said:

Looking for binding post for epic cf4. Also looking for foot spike cover pegs for speaker epic cf4.

20210127_011202.jpg

Welcome! I personally bi-amped, or bi-wired mine which skips the need for jumpers and has alleged, probably marginal benefits at most. 

If you don’t want or can’t do this, you can simply use your speaker cable to bridge your posts, and I’ve heard from one A/V store source that it’s better practice than the metal jumper. 

Pic is an example of bridging posts with speaker wire. Apologies if you know all this and simply are wanting the metal bridges instead, lol. 

B8681084-526C-4CBD-824B-35D281A0F4A2.jpeg

• Like 2

Do you have the speakers set to small or are you running them full range?  

Full range. Well. Small.. The MX120 in pure stereo plays with the sub, and 2 channel mode plays full range whether the speaker is set to large or small. Its the same set up ive always had. Only difference is before with hdmi dac, I used external inputs which allowed me to use a subwoofer dsp on foobar2000 and I had it integrated really well. Now that I got a new dac, the sub dsp won't work with 2 channel mode. In pure stereo, i can set the speakers to large without the sub and probably then I can add the sub through foobar. I just don't have a screen with components so I need to look at component video to hdmi converters to access the set up.

As is, 2 channel feels too weak bass and pure stereo with sub is too overwhelming and sub or bass trim doesn't sound good

Weak bass is unsatisfying for sure and the CF3's usually deliver.  Something is amiss.  So the MX120 is a preamp, I was just reading about it.

https://hometheaterreview.com/mcintosh-mx-120-av-preamp-reviewed/

What amp are you using?  320 watts should do the job quite nicely.  This mystery needs solving. 🤔 We got to get you back to rockin.🤘 

200w.gif.39ca23cefc2ae689f833d8a02a62ec03.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Shiva said:

Weak bass is unsatisfying for sure and the CF3's usually deliver.  Something is amiss.  So the MX120 is a preamp, I was just reading about it.

https://hometheaterreview.com/mcintosh-mx-120-av-preamp-reviewed/

What amp are you using?  320 watts should do the job quite nicely.  This mystery needs solving. 🤔 We got to get you back to rockin.🤘 

200w.gif.39ca23cefc2ae689f833d8a02a62ec03.gif

McIntosh MC7106, got 3 channels bridged to 320wpc for the CF-3, and KV4, BUT i don't remember if i had 1v input sensitivity or 2.5v. I have it at 2.5 v right now. Not sure i understand how to use that. 

Funny thing about that perception and all...either this device i just added made a huge difference or my mind is getting used to sans subwoofer lows.  So i added a Black Ice Audio FOZ-SSX Soundstage Expander between my power amp and the pre(previously used it between DAC and pre-can be used between any source). It acts as a distortion-less tube buffer with dimension control and bass eq. Originally purchased for that dimension control. For making my narrow room set up feel wider and for making long wall, wide set up narrow.  The CF-3's already have a great center image, but it's fun fine tuning with a knob. Neat little device designed by Jim Fosgate. I actually just put it up for sale, but maybe it's best to keep around. 
Anyway, I turned up the BASS EQ and left the dimension at 0. Turned on some tunes, and i got low end all through out the house. Was shocked and wondered if it's just my perception getting used to it. 
So last night, i watched a show in full range stereo to continue to get my dac burned in and i noticed really nice low end during action scenes. That was without this device and same set up where i couldn't get bass-my immediate thought was something is wrong with my pc settings. Added the foz-ssx b4 trouble shooting anything.
I'm playing with the bass eq right now and turning it back to 12'oclock still gives me plenty of low end without feeling bloated like the bass trim selections on the pre amp. Full bass eq almost overwhelms the room. 

I'll remove the device tomorrow and see if my mind really did get used to full range again or the device helped that much which leaves me wondering how i got such impressive bass before. I remember describing to @wvu80 as overwhelming bass.  

• Like 2

Doh! I actually forgot to take my ebay ad down and it literally just got purchased. Upset with myself but have to honor it.
I guess back to figuring out what happened to my bass without it. I dont want to end up integrating my sub but still lacking in punch from 80 down to where I cross the sub so I need to figure it out for sure.

Come to find out, my uncle had a brand “new” Sunfire TGR-3 sitting in box that he got a killer deal on almost a decade ago. I asked if he could bring it over and break it in on my CFs, because damn if that thing doesn’t have some power for an AVR. 

All I can say is wow. Incredible sound, worlds of difference compared to my dinky Denon, obviously. I’m on the hunt to locate my next deal on a better AVR for my planned 7.2 now. Missed out on a Marantz SR7012 yesterday. Bidding ended at $730, a damn steal for a $2,200 unit a few years old. Anyway, the search continues. 

The Sunfire used tonight in case anyone’s curious:

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/sunfire-theater-grand-receiver-3-page-3

F5D46F9F-4BE5-4ECF-8C2E-B7AF20C3618B.jpeg

• Like 2

On 1/28/2021 at 1:54 PM, Micklipsch said:

From all my research, I'm becoming stuck 
As I put thought to paper here, seems like a newer, more upscale AVR with preouts might be the wiser choice. I hope you guys can help fill in any blanks I've missed. 

My current setup uses a high quality AVR functioning as a preamp-only. Tube amplification, a subwoofer for the bottom octave and modern digital sources.

Denon AVR-5308CI

Dynaco MkIII amps

Klipsch R-115SW (now powered by Dayton Audio SA1000)

Sources:

Denon DVD-3800BDCI

Bluesound Node2i

Denon DCM-560

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon

I like the sound quality & convenience in the preamp of the AVR-5308. Plus, these flagship receivers can often be purchased for a fraction of their original MSRP on the used market.

• Like 1