Klipsch Epic Owners Group

kapsnb01

Interesting. Just got my CF-4's playing. Will postpone restoration until i figure out exactly what to do.  Don't have the feet so it could be that, and i don't want to put them on the makeshift feet i had the CF-3s on because these are just so much bigger and nicer to risk a damaging fall, but as of right now, the CF-3s felt more balanced(Note i had a bass issue with them too(but now using a different pre and amp), but its more apparent with these. The CF-4 horn is there, huge soundstage, very detailed. The imbalance is the mid bass and low end. Feels too low compared to the horn.
I'll get them off the ground and tilted toward me like the CF-3s were to get a better feel.  I've got a McIntosh MC202 with 200wpc on them right now.  Don't think the bridged 320wpc MC7106 would be better than the MC202. I can feel the potential though.  I think i'm ultimately just going to have to integrate my RSW-15 again. 

I have never bi amp'd my cf-3s.. maybe i should try so with these. 200wpc to the LF, and 100wpc to the HF? Does anyone know if i'll run into any issues with 2 different amps?

• Like 1

Is this white stuff all over the tweeter normal?

Also all 4 of the dust caps have some kind of dried residue on them. Could it be glue from messy work re gluing all the dust caps? I hope these are the original v. 1 woofers.  Any tips on something safe to use to remove the residue?

V.1 date. Longer ports. Clear internal wiring. I guess I'm gonna have to open 'er up tomorrow. Gives me a chance to rotate the woofers anyway.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1e5162100e1b767baa8c8c5ceecce8d8.jpg98c97e4809b97a2cf8296682f92be0eb.jpg

22 minutes ago, Maximus89 said:

Ok. :) Change of music from female vocals to leonard cohen and there's definitely mid bass and and low end. Gotta get these off the floor with a slight tilt up so all drivers are reaching my ear at the same time.  Man. This sounds HUGE. 

Yeah these guys shake the house alone when I was running bi-amped 200wpc last week. With that said, I’m still going to run dual 12” subs, both for 2.2 music listening and 5.2 surround for cinema as well as stuff like Porcupine Tree and all the stuff Steven Wilson is remastering in 5.1, including King Crimson, Roxy Music, Jethro Tull, Yes, XTC, Tears For Fears, etc etc. 

Not to mention more uniform sound, the subs will take much of that low end stress work off those precious stock K30-KNs. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Micklipsch said:

Not to mention more uniform sound, the subs will take much of that low end stress work off those precious stock K30-KNs. 

Very true. I'll give bi amp'ing a shot first just to try it once, but ultimately probably best to let the rsw-15 do the hard work and it does it well! 

I've never bi amp'ed other than on a Marantz AVR which used the back surround channels.  Since i'll be using two different solid state Mac amps, would they both go into my preamp's L/R via a rca Y-Adapter? 

2 hours ago, Maximus89 said:

Interesting. Just got my CF-4's playing. Will postpone restoration until i figure out exactly what to do.  Don't have the feet so it could be that, and i don't want to put them on the makeshift feet i had the CF-3s on because these are just so much bigger and nicer to risk a damaging fall, but as of right now, the CF-3s felt more balanced(Note i had a bass issue with them too(but now using a different pre and amp), but its more apparent with these. The CF-4 horn is there, huge soundstage, very detailed. The imbalance is the mid bass and low end. Feels too low compared to the horn.
I'll get them off the ground and tilted toward me like the CF-3s were to get a better feel.  I've got a McIntosh MC202 with 200wpc on them right now.  Don't think the bridged 320wpc MC7106 would be better than the MC202. I can feel the potential though.  I think i'm ultimately just going to have to integrate my RSW-15 again. 

I have never bi amp'd my cf-3s.. maybe i should try so with these. 200wpc to the LF, and 100wpc to the HF? Does anyone know if i'll run into any issues with 2 different amps?

I’m using SVS Isolation feet with my CF4 

SVS SoundPath Subwoofer Isolation System, Pack of 6 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NCSQ0W4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_57PQC5WH5QPZKBD4KJH3

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, LORDROOTMAN said:

I’m using SVS Isolation feet with my CF4 

SVS SoundPath Subwoofer Isolation System, Pack of 6 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NCSQ0W4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_57PQC5WH5QPZKBD4KJH3

Nice. Do they screw in place? Pack of 6 leaves 2 shy, you use 1 in the back middle or each speaker?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Maximus89 said:

Nice. Do they screw in place? Pack of 6 leaves 2 shy, you use 1 in the back middle or each speaker?

You’re going to use the original screws  and the hole in isolation feet is little small you can enlarge with step down drill 

Buy  use isolation  on amazon 2 six pack for $104

or buy new 2 four pack is $100

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Maximus89 said:

The white residue looks strange. Old glue, mold perhaps. I hope neither.     From what I've read, as you move a speaker further from the floor, it decreases the bass output. So, if the bass seems weak to you to you now, that might not be a good idea.  Play some bass heavy music and see how they handle it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, LORDROOTMAN said:

ciare is missing dynamics of original K-30KN drivers maybe need to break in little bit more great diff bass response 

K-30KN actually sounds great with KLF30 even better than CIARE and original KLF drivers KIND of surprise 

I think the drivers on the Epics are great too, i'm not surprised they sound better.  Probably better power handling as well.  The CF4's are rated at 300 watts continuous with 1250 watt peaks. That means they are rated to handle 300 watts continuously for two hours and short bursts up to 1250 watts.  Perhaps, on future vids, turn the phone sideways to get a wide shot instead and just leave it in a single place.  Sounds great though.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Shiva said:

The white residue looks strange. Old glue, mold perhaps. I hope neither.     From what I've read, as you move a speaker further from the floor, it decreases the bass output. So, if the bass seems weak to you to you now, that might not be a good idea.  Play some bass heavy music and see how they handle it. 

Yeah, that white stuff is odd. I was just telling @wvu80how i may have heard some distortion on my right speaker.  I mentioned how it looks like maybe all 4 dustcaps were re-glued-one being obvious with overglue-the others with dried residue on the dustcaps- so potentially a dustcap issue-air getting through? Luckily, i have the luxury of swapping my CF-3 tweeter with the CF-4 to see if that was the cause. 

As far as low end, i put some 1" cork pads under the fronts to tilt them up toward me. Sound is better, but the back is still leaning on the floor. I won't do anything to lift them too high. My though it to do the isolation feet as suggested with figuring out how to make the fronts adjustable for tilting the speaker back, or if i can find a subwoofer isolation pad/platform that supports the weight of the CF-4s. My preference would be this, so the speakers could look floating like al the new risers in Klipsch lineup. Could still use cork pads to tilt. Haven't found any that support more than 60lbs.

• Like 1

So speaking of distortion on the right speaker and re glued dust caps. The top right woofer also looks like it has hardened glue near the rubber surround as pictured. My guess is this top woofer is the cause of the tiny distortion I faintly hear. Nothijg drastic but once I heard it, cant be unheard and I keep looking for it instead of enjoying the music.

I thought it was dust in there but its hardened material with a sheen so its definetly glue.

There's a local repair guy ive taken my la scala woofers to before. Ill probably have to talk to him about this woofer first. Maybe reglue all of it neatly and professionally and then ask him to reglue all new dust caps? Unless there's a way to clean them of this ugly residue on all of them? Are the dust caps crucial? Can any dome shaped dust cap of same material be used? Does klipsch have these dust caps in parts?

29e7cbccb787d8550db01b588f63c8e8.jpg92b1becdacee59da49d9f9d12f65b0a8.jpg

13 minutes ago, Maximus89 said:

So speaking of distortion on the right speaker and re glued dust caps. The top right woofer also looks like it has hardened glue near the rubber surround as pictured. My guess is this top woofer is the cause of the tiny distortion I faintly hear. Nothijg drastic but once I heard it, cant be unheard and I keep looking for it instead of enjoying the music.

I thought it was dust in there but its hardened material with a sheen so its definetly glue.

There's a local repair guy ive taken my la scala woofers to before. Ill probably have to talk to him about this woofer first. Maybe reglue all of it neatly and professionally and then ask him to reglue all new dust caps? Unless there's a way to clean them of this ugly residue on all of them? Are the dust caps crucial? Can any dome shaped dust cap of same material be used? Does klipsch have these dust caps in parts?

Is this happening even with lighter bass from rock music and such? Or only with rap or EDM type stuff?

Is this happening even with lighter bass from rock music and such? Or only with rap or EDM type stuff?
Mostly on vocals and most obvious when watching TV last night. The scratchy sound is very faint and alwyas coming from the right speaker

Have you shown pictures here besides the tweeter(s) of the woofer dustcaps and glue?

[mention=62903]Maximus89[/mention]

I'm not sure i understand. I edited my previous post where I forgot to add the photos of the rubber surround glue

• Like 1