Klipsch Epic Owners Group

kapsnb01

13 minutes ago, Maximus89 said:

Mostly on vocals and most obvious when watching TV last night. The scratchy sound is very faint and alwyas coming from the right speaker

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Partially blown? Crossover on the fritz? How much did you buy them for? Were you allowed to audition them before buying?

I'm double checking everything. Im currently using the bi amp crappy plastic bridge as well. About to change those for a 12g bare speaker wire to bridge as I had with my cf3

That may very well be your issue as well. From what I understand is what you’re about to do is best practice anyway. 

• Like 2

1200, no audition, legit speaker store at local flea market. Good guys there. Following covid protocol so the flea markets been closed off to public and only appointment, wife at risk, so couldn't go inside. I just inspected outdoors before loading.
I'm not upset. Its likely something minor. Sucks the dust caps were reglued sloppily. Sucks the rubber surround was reglued sloppily. However I do know a local repair guy and im sure he can redo them all neatly and correctly. My first thought was some air seeping through the dust cap or rubber surround on top right woofer.

Of course if all 4 dust caps and 1 rubber surround were reglued and this poorly, it means someone pushed these speakers really hard and aslo did the re glue job themselves.

All good. Im still happy :)

• Like 2

1200, no audition, legit speaker store at local flea market. Good guys there. Following covid protocol so the flea markets been closed off to public and only appointment, wife at risk, so couldn't go inside. I just inspected outdoors before loading.
I'm not upset. Its likely something minor. Sucks the dust caps were reglued sloppily. Sucks the rubber surround was reglued sloppily. However I do know a local repair guy and im sure he can redo them all neatly and correctly. My first thought was some air seeping through the dust cap or rubber surround on top right woofer.

Of course if all 4 dust caps and 1 rubber surround were reglued and this poorly, it means someone pushed these speakers really hard and aslo did the re glue job themselves.

All good. Im still happy :)

Well that’s all that counts! I just think that maybe if you knew about all this stuff prior to purchase you could’ve got them down to probably 8-900. Or maybe not! Who knows. Point is you got yourself some awesome rare speakers and everything has a workaround.

And then again, you can still politely call and let them know of all the issues and if they are really stand up guys, they might throw some of your cash back your way. It’s worth a shot in my opinion.

• Like 2

Not necessary. I feel lucky to be the first caller, ahead of several other local guys who told me they called right after and were too late.  Upon closer listening, i feel the distortion could be coming from the right tweeter. There is an odd piece of something sticking out in front of the path of the throat.  My next step is to take it out, unscrew and inspect, reconnect and try again, if not, then its' the tweeter and i'll just use the one from my CF-3 and be done with it and start enjoying. :)  If the noise persists with CF-3s compression driver, might have to look at the capacitors. 

• Like 1

BTW, does anyone know what i can use to carefully clean the dust caps? I'd imagine i'd have to apply some decent amount of pressure. My guess is the person who re-glued the dust caps, centered the dust caps with sticky gluey fingers, but it dried like it as dripping in places as well.   Rubbing alcohol? Just a micro fiber with hot water? Suggestions?

10 minutes ago, billybob said:

Water, lightly with cotton cloth/washcloth.

Vinegar lightly on chalky surrounds.

Maybe lightly with alcohol on glue substance after trying light water, white vinegar. Go slow.

Are you certain a surround was reglued?

Thanks. I'll try just warm water on a microfiber first and then try white vinegar. 
The top right surround as pictured above when i spoke of it, has those white hardened pieced in between the plastic and rubber all around. My assumption is that it's dried glue. It is white but also clear and has a sheen. The rubber surround itself doesn't look any different from the others or my CF-3s.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Maximus89 said:

Thanks. I'll try just warm water on a microfiber first and then try white vinegar. 
The top right surround as pictured above when i spoke of it, has those white hardened pieced in between the plastic and rubber all around. My assumption is that it's dried glue. It is white but also clear and has a sheen. The rubber surround itself doesn't look any different from the others or my CF-3s.

And guessing when you say dust covers, you are not talking the dust caps on woofer?

1 hour ago, billybob said:

Water, lightly with cotton cloth/washcloth.

Vinegar lightly on chalky surrounds.

Maybe lightly with alcohol on glue substance after trying light water, white vinegar. Go slow.

Are you certain a surround was reglued?

+1 on this. I’d start with the least volatile methods and if necessary, work up from there. Vinegar does amazing things and luckily, the smell dissipates lol

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Micklipsch said:

+1 on this. I’d start with the least volatile methods and if necessary, work up from there. Vinegar does amazing things and luckily, the smell dissipates lol

Yes you really got to be careful.

When you are not aware of what was used to fix a problem, do not need a chemical reaction undesirable.

Thanks!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Maximus89 said:

I would use regular dish soap ----vinegar is acid  ---

• Like 1

And guessing when you say dust covers, you are not talking the dust caps on woofer?
Did I say dust covers? Likely meant dust caps.

Ok. So I was starting to suspect its been the tweeter. So I removed the horn. What was protruding in the throat was the rubber seal. When you twist the CD in place, the seal squeezes out. I tried to flatten it as much as possible. I noticed this on the left and also on my cf3s, but none were as bad as the right speaker. Could have been the cause of something or just a coincidence it was the right speaker.

What I decided to do was just completely swap the horns and cds from my cf3s into the cf4 and vice versa. My cf3 horns had some clear silicone caulk to damp the horn. It was cheap and free as I had the materials. Never knew if it did any difference as I did them at once. Just knocked on my cf4 horn and compared and there was a difference but nothing major. The horn itself is still too thin.

Will give a listen and give impressions when I get a chance. Hopefully that solves the issue and I don't mind if the cf3s left or right channel has a tiny bit of distortion now as they're just for movies and most of the track is via center channel anyway

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Finally took the plunge and gave the CF4’s grilles a deep clean vs the spot cleaning I initially did. 

Went down to the mud sink, dampened them, sprayed liberally with some turtlewax carpet cleaner, let sit a minute, agitated gently with microfiber cloth, then showered them off with the spray handle. Was satisfying watching 26 years of filth come streaming off until only clean water ran. 

Gently patted dry, then a quick once over with a hairdryer making sure not to get the glued areas warm, now sitting by HVAC registers catching heat to fully dry. 

No loosening around the glued border or anything; they’re pretty resilient. 

Just thought I’d throw my .2¢ in there if anyone was leery of cleaning their grilles. Absolutely do not do this with older sawdust grilles. Non-issue for Epics. 

7C03A4B3-23BC-47A8-95B1-CAE006AA2EEF.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Looks clean! Is it still sort of a faded grayish black instead of black-black?

BTW everyone. My issue is gone. As far as I can tell after I swapped with my cf3 horns and cds, the distortion is gone. It could have been the rubber seal and a vibration at certain frequencies? I got that sorted for the cf3 but I havent really given critical listening to the cf3 with it and probably won't. Big reflective living room. Probably wouldn't hear it anyway.
Thanks to all for suggestions.

• Like 3