Klipsch Epic Owners Group

kapsnb01

21 hours ago, Shiva said:

Now that this thread is getting more attention and deservedly so, a few questions come to mind and might be of interest, as they are to me. 

For those who have or have had the CF3's & CF4's. 

What differences have you noticed between the two models, sound wise? 

Do the 4's have a more noticeable bass punch with its 12" drivers? 

I have read of the 4's being a bit more chesty, as far as vocals are concerned. True or false?

The 4's are supposed to have a higher sensitivity, by 2 points.  noticed or not?

Observations welcomed.

And your questions also.

Interested in learning more.

• Like 1

Dang, now you know. These guys probably know the answers.
Someone?
@wvu80 gave me a lot of help with his project. Although we're still unsure of the rear baffle. My guess is I have to break it off with a rubber mallet and reglue, but the thought of breaking/cracking the baffle sucks. Ill have to take my time knocking it from the inside all around the edges.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Not being particularly savvy in regards to doing glue jobs on wood. I might first, if you have large enough wood clamps, clamp the crap out of the problem area and play music and see if its 100% a glue seal issue, if that would even work of course.  The next thing I might try is to remove the front baffle, which is easier as its screwed on as you have read.  See if you can access the problem area that way and lay some glue down in the joint.   If that doesn't work, plan C, remove the back and go from there I guess.  My two cents.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Maximus89 said:

@wvu80 gave me a lot of help with his project. Although we're still unsure of the rear baffle. My guess is I have to break it off with a rubber mallet and reglue, but the thought of breaking/cracking the baffle sucks. Ill have to take my time knocking it from the inside all around the edges.

Well if that is the method then after all consideration.

Let know how it is going once starting.

Thanks!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Shiva said:

Not being particularly savvy in regards to doing glue jobs on wood. I might first, if you have large enough wood clamps, clamp the crap out of the problem area and play music and see if its 100% a glue seal issue, if that would even work of course.  The next thing I might try is to remove the front baffle, which is easier as its screwed on as you have read.  See if you can access the problem area that way and lay some glue down in the joint.   If that doesn't work, plan C, remove the back and go from there I guess.  My two cents.

+1

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shiva said:

Man, these Epics are flying off the shelves these days. 👍  

It’s because they’re so damn dope. 

Friend who quite literally could open a used Klipsch store in his home has ‘84 Cornwalls, Fortes... ML Requests, you name it. All sound great. Then he fires up his Epic 4s and it’s like, yaaaaaaaas. 

More than a biased opinion, I objectively like their sound the most. 

My AVR is coming today (clean 140wpc) but I already want to grab a separate for best sound. Got a line on a local Adcom GFA MK II that I think will make these Epics sing like they’re supposed to. 

• Like 3

Great idea!

• Like 2

Sorry for no input on your current issue. I’m contending with a purely aesthetic issue myself and have already harassed a member in private about it lol
I always go into it understanding there may be issues but if repair is easy, there's nothing to worry about. All these speakers reaching 20 to 30 or more years old need some tlc. I feel happy enough just to have a version 1 of the Cf4 and Cf3 now.
Usually I end up with really poor veneer condition but no sound issues, this time I got my nicest veneer condition, but some cabinet structure and sound issues! Nothing that can't be fixed!

• Like 2

As an owner of both v.1 (cf4 needing some cabinet work), you are not losing much with the cf3s. Dont underestimate those dual 10s. The CF4s do have a bigger and fuller sound as Moray described but don't pass on a CF3 if available and especially if you're going to integrate a sub anyway.

I was recently having my own issues with low end, but that was unrelated to the CF3s ability. Ive had the CF3s without a sub overwhelming my room with bass-a lot has changed in the chain though. I moved on to a new pre and my low end is back...so much so that I would have never found my rear baffle issue with the old pre.

(My previous distortion issue was unrelated to the speakers as well as I found out last night)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Maximus89 said:

I always go into it understanding there may be issues but if repair is easy, there's nothing to worry about. All these speakers reaching 20 to 30 or more years old need some tlc. I feel happy enough just to have a version 1 of the Cf4 and Cf3 now.
Usually I end up with really poor veneer condition but no sound issues, this time I got my nicest veneer condition, but some cabinet structure and sound issues! Nothing that can't be fixed!

Ugh, ain’t that the brakes? Granted I think @bpplaysguitarended up with the best of both. This guy he bought it from who’s local to me, seems to have a lot of desirable stuff in crazy mint condition. 

If there was no sentimental value attached to these CF4s I have in particular, I would’ve bought that guy’s and sold mine a week ago. The black satin grew on me quickly and they would’ve been an immediate aesthetic upgrade with the spread in cost being less than or equal to a refinish of mine. 

My best balance is probably either being content with my ~6.5-7/10 condition of mine (which I pretty much am) or having them refinished. 

In my next home which will be bigger, I’ll probably turn into a CF4 predator, owning an example in every Klipsch color 🤪

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Micklipsch said:

Ugh, ain’t that the brakes? Granted I think @bpplaysguitarended up with the best of both. This guy he bought it from who’s local to me, seems to have a lot of desirable stuff in crazy mint condition. 

If there was no sentimental value attached to these CF4s I have in particular, I would’ve bought that guy’s and sold mine a week ago. The black satin grew on me quickly and they would’ve been an immediate aesthetic upgrade with the spread in cost being less than or equal to a refinish of mine. 

My best balance is probably either being content with my ~6.5-7/10 condition of mine (which I pretty much am) or having them refinished. 

In my next home which will be bigger, I’ll probably turn into a CF4 predator, owning an example in every Klipsch color 🤪

I'll make sure to post some pics soon. I've been back at work today. CF4s in every color would get expensive! Shoot just one pair isn't cheap. BTW this was my first ever Klipsch purchase.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Maximus89 said:

As an owner of both v.1 (cf4 needing some cabinet work), you are not losing much with the cf3s. Dont underestimate those dual 10s. The CF4s do have a bigger and fuller sound as Moray described but don't pass on a CF3 if available and especially if you're going to integrate a sub anyway.

I was recently having my own issues with low end, but that was unrelated to the CF3s ability. Ive had the CF3s without a sub overwhelming my room with bass-a lot has changed in the chain though. I moved on to a new pre and my low end is back...so much so that I would have never found my rear baffle issue with the old pre.

(My previous distortion issue was unrelated to the speakers as well as I found out last night)

Excellent to hear. I owe @wvu80a beer for calling out a rattle issue. 

At high volume on some low hz stuff, I was getting a slight rattle sound out of 1 woofer. He said to someone else, maybe you, that it could be a wayward dust cap. Low and behind upon close inspection, the bottom left portion of the dust cap is separating from the woofer. 

When I find some time I’ll look up the best adhesive and methodology to use and go about fixing that.

• Like 2

Some pics from tonight, now that I've recovered from my 12-hour trip to get them. Much swapping, switching, and general merriment at my friend's house with his Choruses, my new (to me) CF4s, his Marantz 2238B, and my Rotel RX-1052. I just moved back to my home town and am in a small apartment for a few more months, so the CF4s will hang out here until I have the proper space for them. Oh on that note, the CF4s are larger than I expected! I thought they'd be nearly the size of the Choruses, but they're larger in two dimensions. Consecutive serials, made on the 41st day of 1995 - 04159... Grey horns, short port tubes. Clearly version 2, yes?

Two VERY different sounding speakers, but both so wonderful.

K5.jpg.948522d71b6a0688ca8935a0a3b03fba.jpg

K4.thumb.jpg.ef2c5b26bcb41caf6ab7a3138952ad24.jpg

K6.thumb.jpg.91273f4b5abfd8b9f46e4f2856f830f6.jpg

K2.thumb.jpg.f0355ba34fdd6be7fa4b88e9081984e2.jpg

K1.jpg.cd380eaff79cbc40261c26c89cf42c5a.jpg

K7.thumb.jpg.721b860986470981b799d58b67aa1c8a.jpg

Edited by bpplaysguitar
added another photo with grille on
  • Like 8

you might consider raising the CF4 up so that the centre of the horn is at your seated ear level. You can get a taste of this improvement by sitting on the floor taking your ears down closer to the tweeter horn. I prefer a WWT baffle layout over a WTW configuration. Hope this is of interest to you or to other thread readers.

19 hours ago, Maximus89 said:

As an owner of both v.1 (cf4 needing some cabinet work), you are not losing much with the cf3s. Don't underestimate those dual 10s. The CF4s do have a bigger and fuller sound as Moray described but don't pass on a CF3 if available and especially if you're going to integrate a sub anyway.

100% agree with this. I've been living with CF3 v1's for a couple years now and recently picked up a pair of CF4 v1's (big thanks to local forum member Shaun K!). The sonic signatures of CF3 versus CF4 are extremely close. Both benefit from the excellent tweeter and large horn lens found in the Epic line. The CF4's play just a bit louder, lower and present a bigger sonic image. I use a sub in my setup that's crossed over at 60Hz and the resulting sound with either my CF3's or the new-to-me CF4's is stunning.

6 hours ago, moray james said:

you might consider raising the CF4 up so that the centre of the horn is at your seated ear level. You can get a taste of this improvement by sitting on the floor taking your ears down closer to the tweeter horn.

This is another good note for Epic owners. I cut some 2x2 (actual dimensions are 1.5"x1.5") to about 18" and wedged them underneath (just behind the front trim piece). Night and day difference with the throat of that big horn pointed right at your face. I might try making some platforms this summer to give it a more finished look but raising up the front of the cabinet has worked great for my CF3's and CF4's.

150134812_439068513955875_7567495240254615937_n.jpg

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, mimalmo said:

100% agree with this. I've been living with CF3 v1's for a couple years now and recently picked up a pair of CF4 v1's (big thanks to local forum member Shaun K!). The sonic signatures of CF3 versus CF4 are extremely close. Both benefit from the excellent tweeter and large horn lens found in the Epic line. The CF4's play just a bit louder, lower and present a bigger sonic image. I use a sub in my setup that's crossed over at 60Hz and the resulting sound with either my CF3's or the new-to-me CF4's is stunning.

This is another good note for Epic owners. I cut some 2x2 (actual dimensions are 1.5"x1.5") to about 18" and wedged them underneath (just behind the front trim piece). Night and day difference with the throat of that big horn pointed right at your face. I might try making some platforms this summer to give it a more finished look but raising up the front of the cabinet has worked great for my CF3's and CF4's.

150134812_439068513955875_7567495240254615937_n.jpg

Can grab a few of these from your local hardware store too if you don’t wanna do any cutting. 

Prop your Epics up in style with decorative, pre-cut wood trim corners! 😜

DE62D9C2-607C-483F-BD7D-8131888C5011.jpeg

• Like 1