Klipsch Epic Owners Group

kapsnb01

2 hours ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

So whats you & your friends opinion comparing the epics to the chorus2?  

It's the original Chorus. We both love them both, but the CF4s feel more accurate and balanced, whereas the Choruses add some warmth, low end, and very forward high-mid clarity that cause them to sound more exciting and lively, but that same very forward high-mid character is why he has noticed, compared to his Fortes, the Choruses get a little fatiguing after a while. The CF4s are easier to listen to for longer and feel smoother. Overall, we both just kept agreeing there is no wrong answer between the two of them.

Edited by bpplaysguitar
  • Like 5

On 2/13/2021 at 11:24 AM, bpplaysguitar said:

It's the original Chorus. We both love them both, but the CF4s feel more accurate and balanced, whereas the Choruses add some warmth, low end, and very forward high-mid clarity that cause them to sound more exciting and lively, but that same very forward high-mid character is why he has noticed, compared to his Fortes, the Choruses get a little fatiguing after a while. The CF4s are easier to listen to for longer and feel smoother. Overall, we both just kept agreeing there is no wrong answer between the two of them.

thanks for the review.  couple things to mention, looking at the pic you posted, the epics were pulled out away from the wall/corners & likely affected how they sounded compared to the chorus in the corners.  i realize this was just a temporary set up but a true A/B comparison would be with them in the same location.  also, the epics go quite a bit lower based on klipsch stated freq response 34hz vs 45hz, so it was probably the placement of the speakers that made you hear the chorus add some low end. 

regardless of any of that, they are both excellent speakers although different designs.   

• Like 2

The Chorus sound good in a corner or flat against the wall as you can get.

They are more versatile than the Chorus 2 regarding placement.

While about it, never felt shorted on the bass of the Chorus. It is chest pounding.

Yes would love to have more than the CF-1s but, still happy with them. Even with little space here at the moment, will be looking 3 and 4 Epic line.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bpplaysguitar said:

Weird how people keep assuming those are the Chorus II. I know the wall has an effect on low end, but I think the 15 inch woofer in the Chorus would create a fatter low end than the CF4, if not quite as low in response. 

Whoops, glazed over that fact simply reading others calling them the IIs. Carry on...

• Like 2

yeah i confused they were original chorus as well but, being in the corner reinforces the bass much more than pulled out away from the walls.

also keep in mind, dual 12's move a LOT more air than a single 15 & are equal to a 24" woofer... the epics 2- 12" woofers should have a fatter low end, lower freq response & more bass output than a single 15"... when placed properly or equally to the chorus.   

• Like 3

17 hours ago, bpplaysguitar said:

Weird how people keep assuming those are the Chorus II. I know the wall has an effect on low end, but I think the 15 inch woofer in the Chorus would create a fatter low end than the CF4, if not quite as low in response. 

The Chorus 15 K48 woofer is awesome and at volume has good bass extension below the 45 hz.

Same woofer as in the 2s...

Edited by billybob
  • Like 1

I've posted this pic before. This is my Velodyne SMS, which does bass management for my two subs.   Here is a pic of non EQ'd bass sweeps being run through the Epic CF3's. The mic is about 2 feet away in front of one speaker.   You can see a strong bass signal gradually falling from about 32hz, but still putting out plenty of bass below that.  

unnamed.jpg

• Like 4

On 2/15/2021 at 7:53 AM, EpicKlipschFan said:

yeah i confused they were original chorus as well but, being in the corner reinforces the bass much more than pulled out away from the walls.

also keep in mind, dual 12's move a LOT more air than a single 15 & are equal to a 24" woofer... the epics 2- 12" woofers should have a fatter low end, lower freq response & more bass output than a single 15"... when placed properly or equally to the chorus.

I don't think that's how it works. Area of a circle is pi times the radius squared. Two 12 inch woofers have a combined area of 226 square inches, which is equivalent to a single 17 inch woofer. A single 18 inch woofer has 254 square inches. Every time a speaker doubles in diameter, the area quadruples.

• Like 1

I love the sound of 15" drivers personally. If i sell the CF-3 now that i have the CF-4, it'd probably be a trade for Chorus II just to have best of both worlds. Admittedly, i never gave the Chorus II's big McIntosh power when i had a pair like i'm giving the CF-4s and the CF-3s and really wish i could recap a set of Chorus II and feed them big, clean power. Right now i'm playing with an integrated from Pathos, with a tube pre. It's a fully tube pre for multi channel purposes, but with a primary focus on 2ch, the center turns off and the Pathos auto bridges the left/right channels to 450wpc and it's heavenly on these CF-4s. This combo blows away the Mac gear i have. It's on borrow and demo, and the only thing i think about is reliability. Mac lasts a lifetime. This Pathos unit has already needed repair. I got lots to mull over!

Power just came on and the first thing i want to do is write this and now listen to my CF-4s and relax in the warmth :)

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Maxwell_E said:

I don't think that's how it works. Area of a circle is pi times the radius squared. Two 12 inch woofers have a combined area of 226 square inches, which is equivalent to a single 17 inch woofer. A single 18 inch woofer has 254 square inches. Every time a speaker doubles in diameter, the area quadruples.

sorry was off on the math, but the principle still applies, dual 12's will move a lot more air than a single 15... the cf4 has a much larger cabinet & is tuned lower than the chorus & has more & lower bass output than the chorus.  i own/owned both models & the epics definitely have more bass when positioned the same.   

dont get me wrong the chorus 15" pro woofer is awesome & handles gobs of power but if you look at the specs for the epics, they handle a ton of power too at 1250 peak with the neodymium magnets.  cant go wrong with either. 

• Like 1

Question 

What is the difference in surface area when comparing dual 12" woofers to a single 15 woofer.

circle calculator

(A = 2π 6²)/(B = π 7.5²)=X

Solve for A = 226

Solve for B = 177

X 1.28

Answer

dual 12" woofers are 28% larger than a singe 15" woofer.

For extra credit answer 

Tell the size of the subwoofer required to equal the surface area of dual 12" woofers.

Answer 17"

Now it's your turn

What size subwoofer is required to equal the surface area of dual 15" woofers?

On 2/17/2021 at 4:23 PM, 314carpenter said:

Question 

What is the difference in surface area when comparing dual 12" woofers to a single 15 woofer.

circle calculator

(A = 2π 6²)/(B = π 7.5²)=X

Solve for A = 226

Solve for B = 177

X 1.28

Answer

dual 12" woofers are 28% larger than a singe 15" woofer.

For extra credit answer 

Tell the size of the subwoofer required to equal the surface area of dual 12" woofers.

Answer 17"

Now it's your turn

What size subwoofer is required to equal the surface area of dual 15" woofers?

Equaling the surface area has little to do with the performance of a given subwoofer.

• Confused 1