Klipsch Epic Owners Group

kapsnb01

9 minutes ago, Micklipsch said:

Michael Crites is a great guy. Assured me the CF2’s XO is essentially the same even given the different cap.

Slapped the CF2 XO and tweeter/ horn in the KV4 and it’s jamming, with the crack on top to remind me of this aggravating journey. 

Congrats...yayyy!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Micklipsch said:

Michael Crites is a great guy. Assured me the CF2’s XO is essentially the same even given the different cap.

Slapped the CF2 XO and tweeter/ horn in the KV4 and it’s jamming, with the crack on top to remind me of this aggravating journey. 

So, have you tried a CF2 in between as a center channel, either upright or flipped onto its side to test.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shiva said:

So, have you tried a CF2 in between as a center channel, either upright or flipped onto its side to test.

I actually joked with my wife about that. She was actually going, “Nuuuuuu!” as I was stripping it. She dug how it sounded too, lol. 

It’s an interesting notion even if I had the space to do that (I really don’t). So the unported KV4 does the center duty for now. Key differences really are just the aforementioned different model-numbered woofers and different enclosures. All other things basically being equal. 

• Like 3

I think you were comparing different caps from the different boards. The purple one in the foreground is 20uF, but you can see the purple cap in the background ends in a 3. They look like the exact same crossover, except they used a higher voltage rating on the KV4. Tons of reasons to do this, like maybe the supplier ran out of 100V caps and they went up to the next rating, or there's common parts that use 150V caps so it makes sense from a stockroom standpoint to only keep inventory for 150V caps and use them everywhere.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Maxwell_E said:

I think you were comparing different caps from the different boards. The purple one in the foreground is 20uF, but you can see the purple cap in the background ends in a 3. They look like the exact same crossover, except they used a higher voltage rating on the KV4. Tons of reasons to do this, like maybe the supplier ran out of 100V caps and they went up to the next rating, or there's common parts that use 150V caps so it makes sense from a stockroom standpoint to only keep inventory for 150V caps and use them everywhere.

You’re right. And Michael Crites made me look closer at the CF2 board to see that the identical looking purple caps actually had different MFD values. 

I believe he alluded to something similar when explaining why there was a discrepancy in caps on an otherwise likewise XO. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Micklipsch said:

And its woofers, look seemingly identical to the KV4’s, is K-29-KN. KV4 uses K-35-KN. Actual performance or internal differences, I couldn’t tell ya. 

2DF5B5B2-141B-4615-A3FA-7702E79D34E0.jpeg

21756F7C-B4CA-4DCD-8D93-5425C432D6A0.jpeg

645BAA11-1A6F-4889-AEA5-A83901E8865A.jpeg

Is it just me or maybe the angle of the pic... but that woofer you're holding looks terribly off center.  the dust cap is off center & theres a big gap on one side between the edge of the foam & the plastic trim ring... like a bad refoam job or the guy/gal that made it was up drinking the night before & still drunk when they came in to work that day!  

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

Is it just me or maybe the angle of the pic... but that woofer you're holding looks terribly off center.  the dust cap is off center & theres a big gap on one side between the edge of the foam & the plastic trim ring... like a bad refoam job or the guy/gal that made it was up drinking the night before & still drunk when they came in to work that day!  

What @Zack Rsaid, lol. I find myself using the wide pan shutter and always taking it in landscape, as this site loves tilting portrait shots on their side. 

Note to self though: don’t take selfies with the wide shutter 🤣

• Like 2

On 2/19/2021 at 9:43 AM, Maximus89 said:

Speaking of the kv4. Ive had 320wpc and last night I had 120wpc with a tube pre on it, and its always the weakest link. I used to use full range towers for surround but currently have klipsch ss1 on the wall which apparently have aluminum diaphragms too- even those sound more clear and robust when I give them 320wpc McIntosh amp.

Did Roy design the KV4 and the smaller cf2 and cf1?

I wish the KV4 was front ported in a longer and deeper cabinet. The horn is nice and solid. The 8" drivers are neo and should be good. The compression driver is the same as the cf3 and 4, so its either the cabinet or the crossover thats the problem. Maybe it needs a recap? Sounds muffled.

If the big KLF30 had the KLFc7 match, the much bigger cf3 and cf4 should have gotten an even bigger center to match their line as well but the kv4 is nearly identical to the c7

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Meant to ask you about this but was obviously flustered at that moment. When you say you were running 320wpc or 120wpc to it, was this in an all-channels driven audio setting running music? Watching cinema in surround sound?

I agree the C7 is very similar save for the KV4’s tweeter, which’s 100% bigger. There’s some discord about whether it’s exactly the same cd as the CF3-4. Allegedly the latter sports a heavier magnet with the K63. Diaphragms are definitely the same. 

I’ve got a unique situation given the mishap with my KV4—I’ve got 2 XOs for it now. I’m going to have the original repaired and recapped, while leaving the other XO alone in original condition. I’ll let you know if the refreshed XO “lifts the blanket.”

Meant to ask you about this but was obviously flustered at that moment. When you say you were running 320wpc or 120wpc to it, was this in an all-channels driven audio setting running music? Watching cinema in surround sound?

I agree the C7 is very similar save for the KV4’s tweeter, which’s 100% bigger. There’s some discord about whether it’s exactly the same cd as the CF3-4. Allegedly the latter sports a heavier magnet with the K63. Diaphragms are definitely the same. 

I’ve got a unique situation given the mishap with my KV4—I’ve got 2 XOs for it now. I’m going to have the original repaired and recapped, while leaving the other XO alone in original condition. I’ll let you know if the refreshed XO “lifts the blanket.”
320wpc was from a MC7106 with a pair of channels bridged to 320wpc. It is a mac amp without their auto former. Sounded great with the Cf3s- havent used it on the CF4.

The 120wpc is from a unique 6ch tube integrated from Pathos. 6 tube pre sections for the L/R, C, Surround L/R and Tube pre on the sub as well. Power amp is Mosfet design. For 2ch, the amp auto bridges surround L/R and L/R for 450wpc at 8ohm stereo, center also shut off. 120wpc into every channel during 5.1 movies or music. Its a powerful and beautiful sounding amp.

Don't get me wrong about the KV4, im just spoiled. Until recently I had a single Forte III as my center, had a front 3 La Scala set up, had a Chorus I center with Chorus II, had a front 3 KLF-10 set up as well so im used to large floor standards as centers. All regular centers feel small for me.
Im sure my KV4 just needs a recap.

I just got an idea. Going to take my KV4 horn and compression driver and drop it into a KLF10 for a center

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Maximus89 said:

320wpc was from a MC7106 with a pair of channels bridged to 320wpc. It is a mac amp without their auto former. Sounded great with the Cf3s- havent used it on the CF4.

The 120wpc is from a unique 6ch tube integrated from Pathos. 6 tube pre sections for the L/R, C, Surround L/R and Tube pre on the sub as well. Power amp is Mosfet design. For 2ch, the amp auto bridges surround L/R and L/R for 450wpc at 8ohm stereo, center also shut off. 120wpc into every channel during 5.1 movies or music. Its a powerful and beautiful sounding amp.

Don't get me wrong about the KV4, im just spoiled. Until recently I had a single Forte III as my center, had a front 3 La Scala set up, had a Chorus I center with Chorus II, had a front 3 KLF-10 set up as well so im used to large floor standards as centers. All regular centers feel small for me.
Im sure my KV4 just needs a recap.

I just got an idea. Going to take my KV4 horn and compression driver and drop it into a KLF10 for a center

Wow, yeah. Those are big center channel shoes to fill, for sure. 

Your KLF idea gave me a quirky idea. One could possibly swap KV4 drivers and XO into a KLF-C7 box to gain wood finishes that strangely weren’t availed to the KV4. Again quirky, but I think it’d work. 

• Like 2

Wow, yeah. Those are big center channel shoes to fill, for sure. 

Your KLF idea gave me a quirky idea. One could possibly swap KV4 drivers and XO into a KLF-C7 box to gain wood finishes that strangely weren’t availed to the KV4. Again quirky, but I think it’d work. 
Yes for sure. Ive thought of this as well. I even took my Forte III mumps horn with k70g? Compression driver and dropped it into a klf c7. Obviously there needs to be some crossover mods when doing these types of swaps, but the kv4 for c7 swap is drop in and you get the wood veneer.

Epic series came in a unique washed white from what I recall that I dont find particularly attractive with the black horn and drivers, but there were a lot of nice veneer options so its strange the kv4 wasn't given wood veneer. It would be simple enough to put a nice veneer yourself though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maximus89 said:

Yes for sure. Ive thought of this as well. I even took my Forte III mumps horn with k70g? Compression driver and dropped it into a klf c7. Obviously there needs to be some crossover mods when doing these types of swaps, but the kv4 for c7 swap is drop in and you get the wood veneer.

Epic series came in a unique washed white from what I recall that I dont find particularly attractive with the black horn and drivers, but there were a lot of nice veneer options so its strange the kv4 wasn't given wood veneer. It would be simple enough to put a nice veneer yourself though.

Suppose you’re right. Could get fancy with the iron on veneers. 

I’ve not seen a white washed one outside of their original brochure. Klipsch sold probably <10 pairs lol. That style seems to have come full circle today with the stark greys and whites of home interior design schemes. 

Next to that, I hardly see any walnut examples; I like its grain characteristic a bit more than the oaks, granted I’ll always be fond of those, growing up around my uncles’ Fortes, Chorus IIs. I actually prefer that and cherry—black satin has grown on me too. I personally find it handsome, reserved.. monolithic. 

I guess ‘unfinished’ deserves mention. My dad’s ‘79 Heresys (Heresies?). 

Suppose you’re right. Could get fancy with the iron on veneers. 

I’ve not seen a white washed one outside of their original brochure. Klipsch sold probably  
Next to that, I hardly see any walnut examples; I like its grain characteristic a bit more than the oaks, granted I’ll always be fond of those, growing up around my uncles’ Fortes, Chorus IIs. I actually prefer that and cherry—black satin has grown on me too. I personally find it handsome, reserved.. monolithic. 

I guess ‘unfinished’ deserves mention. My dad’s ‘79 Heresys (Heresies?). 
I saw a walnut v.1 pop up somewhere between here in Houston and San Antonio. I missed it. Walnut is my favorite.

I saw one of those white washed(not sure what the official name was) CF3 v1 pop up in Dallas.

Thats it. All of these speakers are pretty rare. I believe there's a CF2 local. I had no idea they used the same compression driver. Thought it was phenolic diaphragms. Cf2 Might make a good center for me