Klipsch Epic Owners Group

kapsnb01

12 hours ago, Maximus89 said:

I saw a walnut v.1 pop up somewhere between here in Houston and San Antonio. I missed it. Walnut is my favorite.

I saw one of those white washed(not sure what the official name was) CF3 v1 pop up in Dallas.

Thats it. All of these speakers are pretty rare. I believe there's a CF2 local. I had no idea they used the same compression driver. Thought it was phenolic diaphragms. Cf2 Might make a good center for me

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

There’s a handful of CF1 and 2 pairs around at the moment and those Topeka CF4s I posted in alerts. Probably just convenient timing because yeah, it’s otherwise slim pickings. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Maximus89 said:

Thought it was phenolic diaphragms. Cf2 Might make a good center for me

I’m sure it will. This sole CF2 I grabbed sounded stellar on its own powered only by a humble Denon AVR. 

I might sharpen my restorative chops on its cabinet sometime and keep it around. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I had mentioned previously that my right CF-4 had a loose rear baffle. I put  a clamp on it as i believe Shiva suggested and i just left the clamp. Haven't had the chance to reglue and brace yet.  Well, now i heard a strange sound from my left CF4 and i walked around the room thinking it was something rattling against the wall.  Unfortunately, i caught it when i put my head behind the speaker and heard it was the top middle of the rear baffle. When i press my palm against the baffle, the rattle stops. Put a clamp on it and it's fine. But, that's 2 rear baffle issues and it got me wondering if it has anything to do with me having the speakers tilted up? I have them on the floor still with no feet, but put cork pads on the front to tilt the speakers up. Does the unevenness of the bass damage the cabinet? I know it could very well just be the baffle just needs bracing and reglue, but don't want to damage post repairs if tilting up is doing harm.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, billybob said:

Suggest, putting flat on floor and see if it changes any at all if not too much trouble.

Even if you know the rattle fix.

Well the right rear baffle is clearly bulging out where the rattle came from and that was there from the get go. This left speaker just happened, so it's either new or i just couldn't hear it before. Putting them flat at this point wont change anything since the damage is done, be it from tilting or age and being run hard.  The evidence - glue residue all over all the dust caps and one reglued rubber surround + baffle issues tells me someone went pretty hard on these speakers. Luckily, the compression drivers are fine and other than aesthetics, the 12's seem fine.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, billybob said:

Well sorry, it's all I got. If always there, suppose it didn't result as a previous owner tilting...or maybe it did...

The simple thinking of suggest was, if in a bind cause the cab to loosen baffle, should sound just a bit different  when not in a bind.

Damage done understand.. If another tilting pair by another member shows, we may have a suspicion confirmation, or a baffle glue one.

• Like 1

Yeah i'm sure it's just in my head. I overthink things. Speakers are built with an tilt all the time. What we also know, is the Legendary series of Klipsch speakers of the era that followed had a notorious issue with factory glue and baffles being loose. I still believe the likely cause was a previous owner possibly using them as full range for movies and really loud bass heavy music=loose dust caps he had to reglue and loose rubber surround he had to reglue and loose baffles he likely overlooked.

I'll add bracing to the cabinets when i get a chance and replace the cheap foam with some wads of poly fil. 

• Like 1

Hey guys just dropping in to say hello - great thread! Thanks for all the good information, I’ve learned a ton in the last couple of days on the Epic series. I guess I’m officially now part of the CF4 club now. Coming from the pro line (KPT456) I gotta say these are awesome in my room. Like my kpt’s little brother but strong and smooth. Makes sense though as Im learning more about these and found that these and the 456’s share the same father (Roy Delgado) -thanks Roy Awesome engineering! Question for you all if you will. As you can see from the pic Im in need to replace the center. I have the opportunity right now to purchase the klf7 or the KV4. Any suggestions on which I should lean towards would be appreciated.  There are actually 2 kv4’s that I jave access to as well. Thanks so much fellow followers. 

D0FECB91-A338-480C-9620-7D3BF5970785.jpeg

• Like 4

KV4 is the matching timbre center but im personally looking around for bigger and better centers. The timbre match doesn't do much for me unless its 3 front speakers all the same- thats where its most effective and amazing experience.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have CF4s and own both the KV4 and the KLF-C7. I prefer the KLF-C7.

I know the KV4 has the same tweeter as my CF4s but it just doesn't sound the same. Maybe it's the smaller horn lens? Maybe it's the woofers? Either way, I went with what my ears told me.

If you have access to both, buy both and sell the one that doesn't make the cut in your system with your ears.

• Like 2

So, once again I am contemplating a 3rd Epic CF3 to use as a center channel, which I have been lazily doing for the last 10 years or so. 🤔 I have passed up on quite a few opportunities over the years to fulfill that desire, one reason being, how content I've been with the KLF C-7 doing the job, the other based on the fact that the desire was not that strong and so didn't feel like going to get them 🚚then schlep them to their final resting place, one in play up the stairs,  another collecting dust in the garage.   I would prefer one Epic only,  in Southern California, no more than a 20 minutes drive, kidding 😀, but closer the better to overcome my inertia.   I would also of course be open to splitting a pair if someone has a similar interest.  

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Shiva said:

So, once again I am contemplating a 3rd Epic CF3 to use as a center channel, which I have been lazily doing for the last 10 years or so. 🤔 I have passed up on quite a few opportunities over the years to fulfill that desire, one reason being, how content I've been with the KLF C-7 doing the job, the other based on the fact that the desire was not that strong and so didn't feel like going to get them 🚚then schlep them to their final resting place, one in play up the stairs,  another collecting dust in the garage.   I would prefer one Epic only,  in Southern California, no more than a 20 minutes drive, kidding 😀, but closer the better to overcome my inertia.   I would also of course be open to splitting a pair if someone has a similar interest.  

Sounds like a great problem to have lol. If I was 20 min away it would be an awesome opportunity. From what I understand which Im still unsure of here is that you either have two sets of cf3’s and One klc7 or you have neither and just one klc7 and aspired to buy a set of cf3’s and split with some one. Have I missed something lol.

1 hour ago, MAGRF7 said:

Sounds like a great problem to have lol. If I was 20 min away it would be an awesome opportunity. From what I understand which Im still unsure of here is that you either have two sets of cf3’s and One klc7 or you have neither and just one klc7 and aspired to buy a set of cf3’s and split with some one. Have I missed something lol.

In answer to your query, 2 Epic CF3's I already have, a 3rd has been the contemplation of the morning. Which might be forgotten again by lunch time. 😀

26 minutes ago, Shiva said:

In answer to your query, 2 Epic CF3's I already have, a 3rd has been the contemplation of the morning. Which might be forgotten again by lunch time. 😀

Ahhh I see. I’ve decided to go the route you have been doing and place the klc7 as center and am awaiting another pair of c4’s. One pair for two channel another pair for ht. Now, to get into the car and drive 😎 I may even pick up a pair of cf3’s on my way back for the surrounds 😉

16 minutes ago, MAGRF7 said:

Ahhh I see. I’ve decided to go the route you have been doing and place the klc7 as center and am awaiting another pair of c4’s. One pair for two channel another pair for ht. Now, to get into the car and drive 😎 I may even pick up a pair of cf3’s on my way back for the surrounds 😉

Whoa, it seems there is a bounty of Epics in your vicinity. Quite barren in my neck of the woods.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2021 at 12:29 PM, MAGRF7 said:

So, have you picked up your stash of Epics yet? 🤔 Pics are welcome.