Klipsch Epic Owners Group

kapsnb01

Which CF4? Revision 1,2 or 3?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I really don't know but I do remember him saying they were 'the better ones'. Whatever that means.....something about the port length?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I really don't know but I do remember him saying they were 'the better ones'. Whatever that means.....something about the port length?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Gotcha. What preamp and amp were they on? I can see that factoring in as well. I think the CF4s are the pickiest of Klipsch speakers to match with gear. They also absolutely need the horn to be damped. Its very thin. Worst part of the speaker. Raising them or tilting the horn to ears is ideal for placement as well. I have a slight toe in with the speakers raised at an angle toward my ear height.

I use Accuphase and previously McIntosh. I can see a pimped out KLF30 being great though. Wish there were more options for a Chorus II to be modded as well. Id like to have CF4 + a 3 way traditional Klipsch, although I'm desperately missing Klipschorns right now. I have CF4 and CF3 version 1 in both and id probably pull the trigger on selling the CF4 to get Khorns again and keep the CF3s.
Of course things don't ever go as planned and I may have to downsize to bookshelf or Heresys altogether some time soon. I originally sold the Khorns to downsize to more manageable speaker which was my Chorus II I already had, then came the CF3 and It was better than the Chorus II. Then came the CF4.

On 5/28/2021 at 11:42 PM, Chief bonehead said:

So your klipsch klf-30’s are not klipsch anymore.......

Hey Chief,

Ouch.  I hold you in such high esteem.  If somebody else had said it, I wouldn’t bother.  But when Chief Bonehead gives you a spanking, you feel it. 

When people come over to my house and marvel at the looks and sound coming out of my KLF-30’s,  I tell them that they are restored 20-year-old Klipschs.  Without fail, my guests are VERY impressed, and I think the reputation of Klipsch is broadened and enhanced.  Nobody has ever said, “Well, those aren’t really Klipsches any more, are they?”.  Of course they are! 

It sounds like you are not a big fan of these 3rd-party “upgrades”.  One way you could help keep our legacy products more pure Klipsch for 20+ years is to make sure replacement parts are always available, along with any upgrades that are easily transferred from newer models.  Many successful companies take pride in doing this.  

LORDROOTMAN, sounds like your KLF-30s are at least as “updated” as mine are, so I have to defer to your superior experience, as I’ve never had both in the room together.  If your KLFs sound at least as good as mine do, and the CF4’s sound that much better, then my journey is just beginning.  Thank goodness I’ll be rich some day

Edited by alanhuth
date correction
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I wonder if Chief thinks its boneheaded and non Klipsch if you mod with other Klipsch parts: ie using a pro Klipsch horn to replace the stock horn. I never saw him have a problem with recommending non Klipsch full range compression drivers for the Jubilee either-although i never read directly from him-but others saying Roy suggested it-

I was considering k510 + compression driver+ active xover mod for the cf4.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, alanhuth said:

Hey Chief,

Ouch.  I hold you in such high esteem.  If somebody else had said it, I wouldn’t bother.  But when Chief Bonehead gives you a spanking, you feel it. 

When people come over to my house and marvel at the looks and sound coming out of my KLF-30’s,  I tell them that they are restored 20-year-old Klipschs.  Without fail, my guests are VERY impressed, and I think the reputation of Klipsch is broadened and enhanced.  Nobody has ever said, “Well, those aren’t really Klipsches any more, are they?”.  Of course they are! 

It sounds like you are not a big fan of these 3rd-party “upgrades”.  One way you could help keep our legacy products more pure Klipsch for 20+ years is to make sure replacement parts are always available, along with any upgrades that are easily transferred from newer models.  Many successful companies take pride in doing this.  

LORDROOTMAN, sounds like your KLF-30s are at least as “updated” as mine are, so I have to defer to your superior experience, as I’ve never had both in the room together.  If your KLFs sound at least as good as mine do, and the CF4’s sound that much better, then my journey is just beginning.  Thank goodness I’ll be rich some day

Expensive hobby 😂😂😂

and I totally  agree with you for making parts available for old speakers 

I love the vintage looks on my original KLF and CF4 especially on 12 inches drivers when I compare them to RF7 copper LINES 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2021 at 11:14 AM, Maximus89 said:

I was considering k510 + compression driver+ active xover mod for the cf4

Tried K510's with both Forte's and CF3's with dsp. Never was successful; the K510's just overpowered the bass :( 

• Like 2

Nice homemade stands. I ran into the same problem. All the commercially available speaker stands were either 1) too tall; 2) too small platform area; or 3) too dang expensive, or any combination of all three options. So I went to my local architectural salvage looking for some sturdy wood and ended up leaving with a large slab of 2" thick plywood. I cut them into what resemble small end tables and put some thick hairpin legs on them. I kind of like the way it looks with the layers of the plywood exposed, and I could always go back and trim them out for aesthetics.

CF-4 Stands.jpg

• Like 3

Hello all.

Got some time with my Cf4 now.

And I am in love. Been comparing them to rf7 mk2/3.

What i feel is that klipsch is trying to make speakers that are as great as these cf4s again, but they just ain't. Ok the rf7 mk3 is a tad bit more refined in the highs. Mk2 i feel can't compete.

The more power i feed them the better they sound!

Went from hypex nc502mp to pascal xpro1 and then over to hypex nc2k then down to icepower 1200as2.

If any one think that Class D is not the future they need to listen to pascal, nc2k and 1200as2.

Anyway, 350w they where awsome and pure bliss, then I gave them 1550w, holyshit.

The sound of the pascal i so nice, i see why many of the pro studio monitors use these, and a good deal of roland amps.

All of you owners of these know the umpf of the bass is just breathtaking 👌 now with so much power it make my concrete outside wall vibrate.

Then i changed to hypex nc2k with sparkos 3602 opamp. 1600w. Very detailed and clean bit bright but clear, these speakers astound me.

Bass and all is still just as awsome as with pascal.

Icepower 1200as2 620w. Crystal clear, no noise, no hiss no nothing. Still awsome bass and sounds like bliss. 

Got thinking I'm just biased, I want them to be awsome so they are.

Tok my amps, went out and testet the klipsch horn, cornwall, forte, sounsfaber sonetto viii and monitor audio gold 200.

I still think they are the shit, of course some of these had somthing better but the complete package. Its like the cf4 is the hybrid child of corn/forte and rf7 if u get my drift

And they are stock. At this point.

Wondering if i should use time bracing them, they are sturdy as F, butyl on the horn. And going over the crossover. 

One thing thats going to happen now that i know they are this good is new veneer and tlc.

If the rev 1 and 2 are better than rev 3, then i gotta get me one of those rev 1 one's 🤣

So not much of a clinical test and review but just my opinion.

Edited by Andreaskn
  • Like 5