Klipsch Epic Owners Group

kapsnb01

Ok everyone.... I was listening to my ,new to me, CF4's and i was not hearing what most CF4 owners say is very good sound reproduction. So, i decided after emailing with Mike Crite, to send the crossovers to him to rebuild. I proceeded to open up the CF4's and found that my tweeters do not have the K-63-KN drivers on them (see pics). No wonder the sound was way off from what i would expect them to have. I know that original K-63-KN drivers are almost impossible to find.I have heard that Electro Voice DH1506 drivers work well in this situation. Does anyone have any experience with those EV drivers? Or does anyone have any other suggestions to create suitable audio output? I plan on keeping these CF4's if i can get the sound to meet their potential so being "all original" is not a huge issue for me understanding the driver availability issue.

Thanks for any help,

Neal

Tweeter 3A.jpg

Tweeter 4A.jpg

Tweeter 5A.jpg

Tweeter 2A.jpg

Tweeter 1A.jpg

Ok everyone.... I was listening to my ,new to me, CF4's and i was not hearing what most CF4 owners say is very good sound reproduction. So, i decided after emailing with Mike Crite, to send the crossovers to him to rebuild. I proceeded to open up the CF4's and found that my tweeters do not have the K-63-KN drivers on them (see pics). No wonder the sound was way off from what i would expect them to have. I know that original K-63-KN drivers are almost impossible to find.I have heard that Electro Voice DH1506 drivers work well in this situation. Does anyone have any experience with those EV drivers? Or does anyone have any other suggestions to create suitable audio output? I plan on keeping these CF4's if i can get the sound to meet their potential so being "all original" is not a huge issue for me understanding the driver availability issue.

Thanks for any help,

Neal

• 2 weeks later...

I have the 1st version CF-4’s and they had  spikes that screwed straight into the bottom of the speaker cabinet. Needless to say after time the wood started to strip out so I found a spike kit on parts express. I really like them because now I can angle the upwards towards my listening position. Here’s the link

https://www.parts-express.com/Speaker-Cabinet-1-2-Super-Toe-Spike-Set-4-Pcs.-240-730

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, avguytx said:

Whatever you do....please don't spray them with Fleckstone paint.  You'll get your man card taken for that one. ;)

LMAO..... don't worry, that won't ever happen. Just trying to make them look as original as possible.  I felt the flat black enamel was the best choice to accomplish that. Still debating how to handle the exterior of the cabinets. They are currently light oak lacquer. 

After evaluating all reasonable options, I have decided to paint the fronts of my CF4's with a flat black enamel.  I will keep everyone update on the progress.
20210905_163522.thumb.jpg.3878f8cc664d6c12e5fb92cdba7b9e17.jpg
20210905_163549.thumb.jpg.f80f537a0c0c15485b883560f33e12ea.jpg
20210905_163606.thumb.jpg.b0b3606512cd88ee205cfd5523291534.jpg
Those look great. Did you remove the vinyl first? My vinyl isn't peeling but the black is faded. I wonder if I can do the same over the vinyl?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I was trying to compare Cambridge Azur 851N vs denafrips Pontus I I
this is Pontus 

I had the Denafrips Ares II matched with my cf4 first with mcintosh and then with accupahse. I ended up selling to try an option board add on dac for my accuphase and I regretted it immediately. Same as most dacs I pair with klipsch. Just too harsh and bright. R2R dacs have this warm and analog sound that was addictive. I can only imagine the Pontus is a big jump from the Ares.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Maximus89 said:

Those look great. Did you remove the vinyl first? My vinyl isn't peeling but the black is faded. I wonder if I can do the same over the vinyl?

Yes I removed the vinyl first. I looks like the vinyl did in a much more permanent coating.

• Like 2