Klipsch Epic Owners Group

kapsnb01

As far as the CF4's and the Focal system playing the same song goes.  Through my Sennheiser HD580's,, the Focal system might have a smidge more clarity,  but the Epics still sound spectacular, 👍 in my humble opinion.   

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Shiva said:

As far as the CF4's and the Focal system playing the same song goes.  Through my Sennheiser HD580's,, the Focal system might have a smidge more clarity,  but the Epics still sound spectacular, 👍 in my humble opinion.   

Don't know the recording quality either. Two completely different rooms as well. The recording of the cf-4 came out with a lot of sibilance for me while the focal recording was smoother. Again, most likely due to a phone recording. I have always liked Focal, though.

The CF-4s really do everything so well. I do wish the crossover wasn't as complicated so we could put higher quality inductors and easier to match capacitor values and there were suitable driver replacements so we fans and owners could keep these going for another 30 to 40 years and beyond. Mostly if i have any negatives, it would be 1. They're big ugly coffins. 2. They are too low and the cheesy little feet were terrible. 3. The horn is thin and cheap and I do think the tweeter is a bit too bright/forward on the CF-4, but i solved that with some very expensive Aquaplas applied to my diaphragms. Damped the metal dome and softened and smoothed the sound, but currently testing it on the CF-3s which i already found a bit more balanced than the CF-4 in terms of the horn loudness. Now just waiting eagerly for Dean to finish up my crossovers so i can put it all together! I also applied sound deadner to the horns and woofer baskets and some bracing. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Maximus89 said:

What is yalls preferred placement with cf-3 and cf-4s? 

I use a subwoofer for everything below 60Hz so YMMV. My CF4 sit almost 3 feet from the rear and side walls. They're spaced 8 feet apart, toed-in pretty good. 

I also used a similar placement and got good results with my CF3.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Maximus89 said:

What is yalls preferred placement with cf-3 and cf-4s? 

in or as near to the corners as possible for best bass.  maybe 8-10" off the rear wall & at least a foot or 2 from the side walls.  these speakers are front ported so no need to pull out any further from the rear wall, but each room is different so you need to play with placement & decide what you like best for your system in your room. 

adding a good sub will definitely help the lower bass for almost any speaker but epic 3 & 4 go pretty low as is, into the mid 30hz so a sub is not really "needed" but will help if adjusted & placed properly. 

• Like 1

On 3/11/2022 at 11:11 AM, Shiva said:

My Epic CF3's are positioned as far apart as I can get them in this space.  8 feet of space between them.  Toed in of course. Grills off just for show. They are on otherwise.  

unnamed.jpg

nice set up!  are the leaves of those plants covering the horns acoustically transparent??  ;) 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

nice set up!  are the leaves of those plants covering the horns acoustically transparent??  ;) 

They do move in and out of the horns path from time to time and what I’ve discovered is: nothing diminishes the power of the Epic. 👍

• Like 2

Hey all! What are some of your favorite integrated amplifiers/receivers to use with Epic CF4s? I'd like something that has Bluetooth and a nice quality DAC on board. Probably well over 100 watts, possibly up to 200 as I've heard these speakers like power to come alive. Thanks!

20210512_160629.jpg

15 hours ago, bpplaysguitar said:

Hey all! What are some of your favorite integrated amplifiers/receivers to use with Epic CF4s? I'd like something that has Bluetooth and a nice quality DAC on board. Probably well over 100 watts, possibly up to 200 as I've heard these speakers like power to come alive. Thanks!

20210512_160629.jpg

The more headroom you can give them, the better it will be.  Even something like a Bryston 400W RMS amp would not go amiss.  My CF3's loved it, and they will run you out of the room long before you are in any danger of overpowering them.

izwlenjeykmfuwgv4mw5.jpg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, bpplaysguitar said:

20210512_160629.jpg

Crown Amplifiers are very well suited for the CF-4

https://www.crownaudio.com/en/product_families/xls-drivecore-2-series

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, nmorris43 said:

Hey good timing.... I run my CF4's for my main LR. I have two decent amps (Rotel RB-990bx and Crown XLS602) and I was considering bi-amping them with these 2 amps. Which amp should I use for the lows and which one for the highs?

Disregarding anything about bi-amping itself and going by a quick view of the specs alone.  The Crown puts out 360 watts at 8ohms and 600 at 4, while the Rotel puts out 200 at 8.    So, that might give a nod towards the Crown doing bass duties.   Though the Rotel has a damping factor of 1000, so that might be a factor too. 🤔 I see experimentation in your future. 

Hey guys! 

New owner of both a set of CF-4s (v3) and CF-3s (v2), both in satin black, and am currently running them off off a Marantz SR7400 receiver with a Samson s1000 powering the Epics at 300w per cabinet. Lots of experience with KG series and lower end Heresies, but this is feeling like it might just be my first forray into real Klipsch.

Currently the Epics are my front sound stage with dual KG2.2v's handling center, and some KG 2.5's as surrounds and backs. Single SW-15 II for a sub.

All I can say is these are breathtaking.  I am no audiophile by any means, but the warmth and vibrancy these speakers put out are something you just don't hear much of anymore,  and I am looking at ways to make it even better!

Already scouring for either a KV-4 or a KLF-c7 for center duty, and maybe some CF-2s or KLH-10s to handle surround duties.  Stands being planned.  Cabinet bracing/sealing being planned.  Horn masking will get done also, to knock down a little of the brightness of the tweets.  Already have a loose dust cap on one of my CF4s also that presents a light buzz  at 35-40hz that I need to fix..   I think my crossovers are in great shape, but may look at refreshing caps before long.

You guys have a ton of great info in this thread, and I have taken the time to read every word, so many thanks for all of the great info! 

As far as my front staging with these 4 cabinets goes, would it be better to have the CF3s closer to center with the CF4s out wider, toed in, or the other way around?  My room is approx 25x25ft, and 20 ft  from front stage to my seated listening position.

• Like 3