Klipsch Epic Owners Group

kapsnb01

2 hours ago, Gweedo007 said:

Hey guys! 

As far as my front staging with these 4 cabinets goes, would it be better to have the CF3s closer to center with the CF4s out wider, toed in, or the other way around?  My room is approx 25x25ft, and 20 ft  from front stage to my seated listening position.

Here are my thoughts on it.  The 4's handle more power, and therefore push more SPL.  They should towards the outside, toed inward.

The 3's (on the other hand) will handle nearly the same amount of power, and should mate well together, joined together as your 'single' center channel.

This type of setup will melt you.  If you can find another single 3, use that as your center, the 4's on the front L/R, and your pair of 3's as either your sides or back L/R units.  This should be a lot of fun to play around with.

I'm doing something kinda similar with some Klipsch Pro speakers in my office, and setting the surround system to use all speakers to play their side of the stereo mix.  This builds an audio soundstage in my 10' x 12' office where I am in the middle of the stage, amongst the band members.  Ann Wilson is slightly to my left, and Nancy to the right.  It's like I'm there.  One of the most interesting and amazing sound setups I've ever built.  Each of these pro speakers are no more than 2-3 feet from my head.  It's a 7.1 NEARFIELD setup, and I could not be happier (although the neighbors can hear it an acre away with my windows closed, when I get upwards of 70% power!).

Tinnitus be damned, I am going to enjoy this until I become deaf.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gweedo007 said:

Hey guys! 

New owner of both a set of CF-4s (v3) and CF-3s (v2), both in satin black, and am currently running them off off a Marantz SR7400 receiver with a Samson s1000 powering the Epics at 300w per cabinet. Lots of experience with KG series and lower end Heresies, but this is feeling like it might just be my first forray into real Klipsch.

Currently the Epics are my front sound stage with dual KG2.2v's handling center, and some KG 2.5's as surrounds and backs. Single SW-15 II for a sub.

All I can say is these are breathtaking.  I am no audiophile by any means, but the warmth and vibrancy these speakers put out are something you just don't hear much of anymore,  and I am looking at ways to make it even better!

Already scouring for either a KV-4 or a KLF-c7 for center duty, and maybe some CF-2s or KLH-10s to handle surround duties.  Stands being planned.  Cabinet bracing/sealing being planned.  Horn masking will get done also, to knock down a little of the brightness of the tweets.  Already have a loose dust cap on one of my CF4s also that presents a light buzz  at 35-40hz that I need to fix..   I think my crossovers are in great shape, but may look at refreshing caps before long.

You guys have a ton of great info in this thread, and I have taken the time to read every word, so many thanks for all of the great info! 

As far as my front staging with these 4 cabinets goes, would it be better to have the CF3s closer to center with the CF4s out wider, toed in, or the other way around?  My room is approx 25x25ft, and 20 ft  from front stage to my seated listening position.

I am in the midst of building out my theater. I will be running CF4's as my L/R and the KG2.2V for my center( until I can find an Academy or a KV-4 to replace it). I am considering bi-amping my CF4's with a couple of power amps I have. I love the sound that the CF4's provide. I will be posting pics of the build out as it comes together. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Oicu812 said:

Here are my thoughts on it.  The 4's handle more power, and therefore push more SPL.  They should towards the outside, toed inward.

The 3's (on the other hand) will handle nearly the same amount of power, and should mate well together, joined together as your 'single' center channel.

This type of setup will melt you.  If you can find another single 3, use that as your center, the 4's on the front L/R, and your pair of 3's as either your sides or back L/R units.  This should be a lot of fun to play around with.

I'm doing something kinda similar with some Klipsch Pro speakers in my office, and setting the surround system to use all speakers to play their side of the stereo mix.  This builds an audio soundstage in my 10' x 12' office where I am in the middle of the stage, amongst the band members.  Ann Wilson is slightly to my left, and Nancy to the right.  It's like I'm there.  One of the most interesting and amazing sound setups I've ever built.  Each of these pro speakers are no more than 2-3 feet from my head.  It's a 7.1 NEARFIELD setup, and I could not be happier (although the neighbors can hear it an acre away with my windows closed, when I get upwards of 70% power!).

Tinnitus be damned, I am going to enjoy this until I become deaf.

I want to keep all the Epics as Front L/R... plus my setup doesn't really fit well with a floor standing center, either.  The 2x KG-2.2vs getting 100w each put out a lot of sound, but I feel like they are being totally outclassed by the Epics honestly.   They have such a wide and immersive field of sound, I almost feel like pursuing a full surround setup might not even be worthwhile anymore to be quite honest.

6 hours ago, Gweedo007 said:

I want to keep all the Epics as Front L/R... plus my setup doesn't really fit well with a floor standing center, either.  The 2x KG-2.2vs getting 100w each put out a lot of sound, but I feel like they are being totally outclassed by the Epics honestly.   They have such a wide and immersive field of sound, I almost feel like pursuing a full surround setup might not even be worthwhile anymore to be quite honest.

I would recommend as a test, if space permits,  set-up your CF4's as L/R, elevate a CF3 on its side as center, like a big C-7. Then report back with observations.   

• Like 3

I now have the CF-3s alongside my AV stack and the CF-4s out about 3ft further to each side and towed in about 30 degrees. I would have never thought it to have this much impact, but swapping CF-4 and CF-3 positioning not just sounds, but FEELS like it has significantly increased my output.   Seemingly, instead of the CF-4s cancelling out the CF-3s, they are encapsulating everything (center included) into an outright abusive sound stage.  I can't even hear my 15" sub anymore.

I love it.  LOVE it.  

Edited by Gweedo007
  • Thanks 1

How much can these be overpowered?   I also have a Samson sx3200 at my disposal, which will bump my wattage per cabinet from 300w to about 550w.  I know these have an RMS of 300/250w respectively, and also a decent ceiling for a max (1500/1250w) but how much can they really take over a long period without risking damage, given how hard it would be to replace components?

I'm no expert, but they still feel hungry with 300w.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gweedo007 said:

I now have the CF-3s alongside my AV stack and the CF-4s out about 3ft further to each side and towed in about 30 degrees. I would have never thought it to have this much impact, but swapping CF-4 and CF-3 positioning not just sounds, but FEELS like it has significantly increased my output.   Seemingly, instead of the CF-4s cancelling out the CF-3s, they are encapsulating everything (center included) into an outright abusive sound stage.  I can't even hear my 15" sub anymore.

I love it.  LOVE it.  

So you tried something similar to what was suggesting at first.  Good, I'm glad you love it!

Now you can put the smaller units side and back, and have an incredible surround experience.  Just until you find some more 3's.  *<;o)

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Oicu812 said:

So you tried something similar to what was suggesting at first.  Good, I'm glad you love it!

Now you can put the smaller units side and back, and have an incredible surround experience.  Just until you find some more 3's.  *<;o)

Funny you say that, a set of CF-3 v2s just popped up locally here in Tulsa, OK... I am heavily debating it 😃

Yall think damping factor is the most important thing for the CF4 and 3? 

I sold my p360 w/ 200wpc and high damping factor. Was telling myself too much power i dont need, but those last few nights with a new IC in the set up had me in love with the system. Either way, it sold as i needed extra funds and now i have to find a more budget friendly amp.

2 amps in consideration. A McIntosh MC250 recapped. 50, some say conservative and more like 75 wpc but very, very low damping factor of 38 at 8ohm and dips into 15 at 3ohm and SNR 90db or a Class A amp with only 20wpc but 120 damping factor, SNR 110db

Class A negatives:

-The vintage 90s Class A a few hundred dollars more than the vintage mac and not recapped

-The Class A consumes 110w more idle, but both same power consumption at rated output. As far as class A goes, it looks like it may not run as hot as typically found in Class A amps which is a huge bonus for me. My p360 was 100w idle and 600 at rated output and it would warm up my room.

MC250 negatives:

-low damping factor

-ugly and rusted and pitted all over. i dont see any way to clean it without sacrificing the black lettering. Could hurt resale value if it doesn't get my drivers moving.

• Like 1

i dont have any input on the 2 amp choices, but if damping factor is a concern for you, those numbers are very low.  even mid-fi AVR receivers have at least 100df.  & mid-fi separate amps have a lot more,  i run adcom on my 2ch system & the gfa555ii has like 800df & i have a rotel 990bx that has 1000df.  both amps sound excellent on many larger klipsch speakers including the cf4 & other large brands i own/owned.  while they arent macs, both amps sound as good or better in many ways that other much more expensive amps i have heard.  

2 minutes ago, RandyH said:

Classe A  .

It's probably the better musical choice, but with the Texas heat and humidity fast approaching, i just cant' bear the thought of my *** and back sticking to my leather seat when i want to relax and relieve stress. I've decided on the recapped mc250! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maximus89 said:

It's probably the better musical choice, but with the Texas heat and humidity fast approaching, i just cant' bear the thought of my *** and back sticking to my leather seat when i want to relax and relieve stress. I've decided on the recapped mc250! 

the MC 250 does have high resale value  , you cant lose with Vintage McIntosh Gear .

• Like 1

Well, the addiction is real.  As of tonight, I will have a second set of CF-3 v2s to go with my CF-4 v3s.

Just need a KV-4 or a KLF-c7 now 😃

13 hours ago, Shiva said:

Just wondering if anyone is on the hunt for some CF3's and perused Ebay lately?

All way overpriced from what I have seen.   The only set that is reasonable is v3 with some cabinet damage.  The rest are asking more than I paid for CF-4s...

Edited by Gweedo007
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Shiva said:

It's a good idea when doing a search for Epics, to key in CF as well.  Sometimes more items come up, such as this one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334370042317?hash=item4dda01f1cd:g:nX4AAOSwJ9liHBG3 

Black tweet - likely v3s...   and has some cabinet finish issues pointed out in pics.  Should be easy to fix though.

17 minutes ago, Gweedo007 said:

Black tweet - likely v3s...   and has some cabinet finish issues pointed out in pics.  Should be easy to fix though.

Those are version 1's, the serial # showing they were made in 94.👍

• Thanks 1