Klipsch Epic Owners Group

kapsnb01

Jeez....another set???  ;)  Great speakers for sure.  I know for a fact my CF-3 v1's won't ever leave now.  Even if I came across a set of CF-4 v1's for reasonable, I feel like I need to keep the 3's, too.  But like everything, that's subject to change with minimal to no notice.

Congrats!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think one has screen Protection and other one is naked 

no the driver is not removed 

the newly to me CF4 V1 is on the bottom and my CF4 V2 on top 

I have listen to them side by side and it’s really hard to tell the difference yes there’s tiny difference but it’s hard to 

• Like 2

Hello epic owner actually have a pair of the CF-1& CF-2’s my question is this any body upgrade the crossovers on the CF-2’s they don’t sound nothing like the CF-1’s I’m 90% sure it’s the crossovers because I’ve switched the horns and the cf-2’s still didn’t sound right !! Any ideas schematics brand new crossovers I figured somebody could help ?? Thanks In advance !! Oh if it matters I give the CF-2’s 250 watts each and the CF-1’s 200 watts each and flip flopped the amps just to make sure it wasn’t an amplifier issue !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thought this might be a good idea, since questions tend to pop up here and there regarding the Epic series speakers. Since the owners of the Epic series generally tend to hold on to them a long time, also thought it'd be nice to have a thread where we can swap info on setups, mods that we've done, problems/issues, or any other info that we've come across. Plus, it'll be interesting to see how many Epic owners are out there and active on the forum...

All Epic owners owe Roy Delgado (Chief Bonehead) our thanks for designing these...he did a fantastic job!

Below is  the information directly from Klipsch on how to determine which of the 3 versions your CF-3/4 are.

EPIC Series Production versions – Rev.1, Rev.2, Rev.3

Rev.1 – Start of Production in Spring of 1994

1. These models had 5" long port tubes
  2. Networks used OFC (monster cable looking) clear jacket wiring.
  3. Horns in these models were gray in color.

Rev.2 – Fall of 1994

1. These models had shorter 2.5" long port tubes (to raise the box tuning)
  2. Networks had a component / value change to correct for the new ports. (The network wire was still the OFC used in Rev.1.)

Rev.3 – Summer of 1995 to end of production in 1996

1. These models had new lighter cone woofers (new vendor) (these cones aren’t nearly as stiff as the originals and can be deformed much easier by pressing on them)
  2. Networks were changed to compensate for the new woofers
  3. Change in network wiring to colored 16ga. like what is used in Legend KLF networks
  4. New horn material that was 20% glass and was painted black.

Serial number decoding for EPIC Series models (or any Klipsch model made from 1990-1997(?))

Production Years Description Example

1990-1997(?) DOY Y2Y1 # # # # (135791234)

Thanks to Roy Delgado “chief bonehead” for having this group !!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, maybe something with crossover.

Since the crossover is balanced, would go back as close as can to capacitor values. Call it refresh myself.

Starting to look at a decent set of C-2s on Craigslist as the price keeps coming down. Have a pair of the C-1s here, which I like. @Dirtypawz

1 hour ago, Dirtypawz said:

have a pair of the CF-1& CF-2’s my question is this

(has) any body upgrade the crossovers on the CF-2’s

Not to my knowledge.  I don't know if there is an upgrade out there.  The OEM XO's should sound fine and they don't need replaced as the capacitors don't go bad over time.

I have the 1994 CF-4 v1 and I've not touched the XO.  They sound pretty good. 

post-58280-0-36400000-1409062188_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I think one has screen Protection and other one is naked 
no the driver is not removed 
the newly to me CF4 V1 is on the bottom and my CF4 V2 on top 
I have listen to them side by side and it’s really hard to tell the difference yes there’s tiny difference but it’s hard to 
My cf3 v1 are naked with white stuff all over it and my cf4 v1 have screen protection. The kv4 has screen protection also. No idea why the cf3s didn't get it

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

I have a pair of CF2 from ~95 or so. The horns have always seemed a bit hot and the bass kind of shy. First series cap on the treble is a 1.8 uF, have been thinking of stepping that down to a 1.5 or 1.2 to bring the level down some. 

Need REW or something, after the babies grow up enough to give me a half hour...

Here’s the cf-1&2’s debc22c91d38df5e289bc8eaf6a1aa65.jpg
I had matching cherry but I decided to sell the cf-1’s well couldn’t live without them so I found this black pair for cheap and picked them up but the cf-2’s just don’t sound right !!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dirtypawz said:

...but the cf-2’s just don’t sound right !!

The problem we're going to have helping you with the CF-2 sound is that there are very few CF-1 /CF-2 owners that I'm aware of.  The CF-3 /4 speakers are rare but at least there is a good amount of us here.

Can you expand on what doesn't "sound right?"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dirtypawz said:

t the cf-2’s just don’t sound right !!

basic  inspection -----remove the drivers LF -HF , verify the   DCR , for each driver , 4 woofers and HF  should  match up with similar readings , all drivers must have smaller  Neodymium  magnets

-if  all is fine , move over to the crossovers , test /swap the crossovers from 1 speaker to the other to verify if there are any sound differences  , between  both crossovers or whether they both sound the same   -

16 hours ago, Dirtypawz said:

Hello epic owner actually have a pair of the CF-1& CF-2’s my question is this any body upgrade the crossovers on the CF-2’s they don’t sound nothing like the CF-1’s I’m 90% sure it’s the crossovers because I’ve switched the horns and the cf-2’s still didn’t sound right !! Any ideas schematics brand new crossovers I figured somebody could help ?? Thanks In advance !! Oh if it matters I give the CF-2’s 250 watts each and the CF-1’s 200 watts each and flip flopped the amps just to make sure it wasn’t an amplifier issue !!

I have the CF 3s v1 for quite some time and maybe 10 years ago I sent the crossovers to Bob Crites for a rebuild.  It’s been a while but I do remember that is was an improvement in sound.  I believe he told me at the time that there appeared to be some capacitor leakage.  Any ways, maybe something worth looking into 

On 3/7/2022 at 7:08 PM, Maximus89 said:

I do wish the crossover wasn't as complicated so we could put higher quality inductors and easier to match capacitor values… The horn is thin and cheap and I do think the tweeter is a bit too bright/forward on the CF-4, but i solved that with some very expensive Aquaplas applied to my diaphragms… Now just waiting eagerly for Dean to finish up my crossovers so i can put it all together! I also applied sound deadner to the horns and woofer baskets and some bracing. 

With the amount of money you’ve dumped into these things you could have bought some new Cornwalls. 

C8A34A0D-3C2B-4D9D-8AC5-B0E156E16843.jpeg

162C37D9-7B20-4BF1-B2AC-B4B22394F10D.jpeg

• Like 1

With the amount of money you’ve dumped into these things you could have bought some new Cornwalls. 

C8A34A0D-3C2B-4D9D-8AC5-B0E156E16843.thumb.jpeg.999a933831226ba1282fd16a0c147b1f.jpeg
162C37D9-7B20-4BF1-B2AC-B4B22394F10D.thumb.jpeg.276b61ab4d9c8ac121739fb424cb2b42.jpeg
Haha not even close even with a nice deal from Cory on a b stock. I prefer 2 ways anyway unless its khorns on a long wall.

Those sure are purdy!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk