Klipsch Epic Owners Group

kapsnb01

19 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Not to my knowledge.  I don't know if there is an upgrade out there.  The OEM XO's should sound fine and they don't need replaced as the capacitors don't go bad over time.

I have the 1994 CF-4 v1 and I've not touched the XO.  They sound pretty good. 

post-58280-0-36400000-1409062188_thumb.jpg

why/how dont capacitors go bad over time?  thats contrary to anything ive heard or read & also not my experience with some klipsch & other brands of speakers... capacitors definitely can go bad over time & almost guaranteed electrolytic caps will go bad over time.  

why/how dont capacitors go bad over time?  thats contrary to anything ive heard or read & also not my experience with some klipsch & other brands of speakers... capacitors definitely can go bad over time & almost guaranteed electrolytic caps will go bad over time.  
These do have 1 pair electrolytic per board but the others are polypropylene caps and should last. You don't need to change them if you don't want to. Sonicaps will sound better, though, than those stock bennic/dayton audio poly caps.

The crossovers however are known for loose solder joints. My inductor was completely loose and dangling. So you can also just replace the lytic and make sure all the solder is redone and everything held in place.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Maximus89 said:

These do have 1 pair electrolytic per board but the others are polypropylene caps and should last. You don't need to change them if you don't want to. Sonicaps will sound better, though, than those stock bennic/dayton audio poly caps.

The crossovers however are known for loose solder joints. My inductor was completely loose and dangling. So you can also just replace the lytic and make sure all the solder is redone and everything held in place.

thanks for the info, was just asking why WV said capacitors dont go bad over time.

wasnt aware epics used polyprolylene caps, didnt klipsch use the yelllow or blue mylar caps in most speakers of this era?  or were the epics different & used poly caps?  & if so i wonder why that is since all the recent "authorized" caps are mylar & claimed they are the "best" caps & sound better than far more expensive options out there... 

same applies for the sonicaps crites uses,  certain members on here insist they dont sound better than the stock mylar caps & using them will mess up the whole intended design of the stock crossovers... or something to that effect. 

in my personal experience, the stock mylar caps can & do go bad, ive replaced the mylar caps in a few different klipsch speakers of this era with poly caps & they all had a noticeable improvement, was night & day difference on my chorus 2 speakers & thats using what are considered budget poly caps. 

• Like 1

thanks for the info, was just asking why WV said capacitors dont go bad over time.

wasnt aware epics used polyprolylene caps, didnt klipsch use the yelllow or blue mylar caps in most speakers of this era?  or were the epics different & used poly caps?  & if so i wonder why that is since all the recent "authorized" caps are mylar & claimed they are the "best" caps & sound better than far more expensive options out there... 

same applies for the sonicaps crites uses,  certain members on here insist they dont sound better than the stock mylar caps & using them will mess up the whole intended design of the stock crossovers... or something to that effect. 

in my personal experience, the stock mylar caps can & do go bad, ive replaced the mylar caps in a few different klipsch speakers of this era with poly caps & they all had a noticeable improvement, was night & day difference on my chorus 2 speakers & thats using what are considered budget poly caps. 

I think the epic cf3 and cf4 are the only ones that used poly caps, at least as far as the non pro or home theater lineup went? Not sure about cf1 and cf2 but I believe they used different drivers so I would guess no poly caps. I need to open up my kv4 and check it too. I've never been happy with the kv4, so I bet it doesn't and needs a recap.

4 hours ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

why/how dont capacitors go bad over time?  thats contrary to anything ive heard or read & also not my experience with some klipsch & other brands of speakers... capacitors definitely can go bad over time

Oh man, I make ONE loose statement and BAM!  I get nailed.  Immediately.   🤣

First of all, I know you're correct and you know you're right.  I was ALLUDING to the fact that the paper-in-oil caps found in LS's, Khorns et al from the 70's and 80's most of the time DO need to be replaced after 20 years or more to keep that factory fresh sound.  For the most part, the more modern caps like those in my CF-4's from the 90's do not. 

I was just trying to be brief in a simplistic way so I didn't need to over-explain like I always do.

Thanks for keeping me on my toes.  🤜:cool:🤛

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

Oh man, I make ONE loose statement and BAM!  I get nailed.  Immediately.   🤣

First of all, I know you're correct and you know you're right.  I was ALLUDING to the fact that the paper-in-oil caps found in LS's, Khorns et al from the 70's and 80's most of the time DO need to be replaced after 20 years or more to keep that factory fresh sound.  For the most part, the more modern caps do not.  I was just trying to be brief in a simplistic way so I didn't need to over-explain like I always do.

Thanks for keeping me on my toes.  🤜:cool:🤛

wasnt trying to nail on your comment at all, was genuinely curious why you said these types of epic caps or other mylar types dont or can't go bad with age?  sorry if i missed you alluding to PIO caps vs more modern klipsch caps like in epics or other models of this era but "modern" in this case is 25+year old caps that have seen all different types of use or abuse. 

i can only state my personal experience with replacing/upgrading the stock caps but have also read countless reviews, as we all have, of klipsch or other brand speakers benefiting from replacing aged caps with new or better caps.  i have heard very noticeable improvements on the klipsch & other brand speakers i have recapped but i have also had or currently have some that are still all original & sound great,  its definitely been a case by case by case basis for me.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

i wasnt trying to nail on your comment, was genuinely curious why you said these types of epic caps or other mylar types dont or can't go bad with age or use/abuse?  sorry if i missed you alluding to PIO caps vs more modern klipsch cap

Look at my post from a humorous point of view.  I know you weren't trying to nail me, I was just having some fun with you.  Here in West Virginia we only do that with friends.  :cool:

+++

You didn't miss anything in my first post, that more detailed explanation about the PIO caps is what I did NOT include. 

All is good.  😎 👍

• Like 2

I did do capacitor and resistor changes on the CF-3 v3's I had a few years back and noticed some differences.  Not major, though.  Now I have a set of CF-3 v1's and they're going to stay mostly stock.  The only caps that have been changed are the caps in the woofer circuit as they are electrolytics and had drifted over time plus a resistor that was charred.  They were replaced with polyester caps with the same values and were tested. 

Like @Chief bonehead (Roy) has said plenty of times... "It’s about the WHOLE network and voltage transfer curves"  I'm good with that.  

Look at my post from a humorous point of view.  I know you weren't trying to nail me, I was just having some fun with you.  Here in West Virginia we only do that with friends.  :cool:
+++

You didn't miss anything in my first post, that more detailed explanation about the PIO caps is what I did NOT include. 

All is good.  [emoji41] [emoji106]

Well I can take a photo of my crossovers in both towers c(cf-1’s&cf-2’s ) and post them and you guys can go from there if it helps ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Dirtypawz said:

Well I can take a photo of my crossovers in both towers c(cf-1’s&cf-2’s ) and post them and you guys can go from there if it helps ??

Pictures are definitely good as that will show if there's something burnt on them or not soldered in right.  Personally, I wouldn't go crazy on the crossovers unless there's something visually wrong with them.  Now, if there are electrolytics in the circuit, those would maybe merit a change.  Resistors can make a little bit of difference but it's all about how much you want to spend on them to chase that last bit of %.  If they aren't sounding like you want them to sound, find speakers that do.  I personally haven't heard the 1's or 2's since they were first made but barely listened to them as the "stars of the show" were the 3's and 4's.  I've owned 3 pairs of 3's so far and have version 1's now.

• Like 1

They each sound prettyy damn good to me,  hard to tell much difference between the two. Both have a very rich bass tone from the guitar.  The Epic line as usual, is a great sounding speaker.    Do you detect any differences in room?

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

2 hours each way. Good condition, been stripped and refinished, but looks pretty cool. No significant cabinet damage, just had a couple water marks. Would these be gen 1 or 2? or is that not a valid question?

• Like 1