Klipsch Epic Owners Group

kapsnb01

Thought this might be a good idea, since questions tend to pop up here and there regarding the Epic series speakers. Since the owners of the Epic series generally tend to hold on to them a long time, also thought it'd be nice to have a thread where we can swap info on setups, mods that we've done, problems/issues, or any other info that we've come across. Plus, it'll be interesting to see how many Epic owners are out there and active on the forum...

All Epic owners owe Roy Delgado (Chief Bonehead) our thanks for designing these...he did a fantastic job!

Below is  the information directly from Klipsch on how to determine which of the 3 versions your CF-3/4 are.

EPIC Series Production versions – Rev.1, Rev.2, Rev.3

Rev.1 – Start of Production in Spring of 1994

1. These models had 5" long port tubes
  2. Networks used OFC (monster cable looking) clear jacket wiring.
  3. Horns in these models were gray in color.

Rev.2 – Fall of 1994

1. These models had shorter 2.5" long port tubes (to raise the box tuning)
  2. Networks had a component / value change to correct for the new ports. (The network wire was still the OFC used in Rev.1.)

Rev.3 – Summer of 1995 to end of production in 1996

1. These models had new lighter cone woofers (new vendor) (these cones aren’t nearly as stiff as the originals and can be deformed much easier by pressing on them)
  2. Networks were changed to compensate for the new woofers
  3. Change in network wiring to colored 16ga. like what is used in Legend KLF networks
  4. New horn material that was 20% glass and was painted black.

Serial number decoding for EPIC Series models (or any Klipsch model made from 1990-1997(?))

Production Years Description Example

1990-1997(?) DOY Y2Y1 # # # # (135791234)

Edited by kapsnb01
  • Like 2

I rightfully do not belong on this thread because i don't currently own a pair of epics but i did own a pair of cf4 version 2 for just over a year. Below is my thread comparing them to khorns and also the mods i did to the epics. 

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/156526-cf4s-vs-khorns-review/?hl=%2Bcf4+%2Bmods

https://community.kl...amp-rack-build/

The epics were amazing amazing speakers. They were my pride and joy. If you listen to rock, rap, edm, or any bass heavy or dynamic type of music these speakers truly shine. In the links above more in depth review so i really won't repeat my self. If anyone has any questions please feel free to message me. The only reason i switched is because i went to speakers which were much much more expensive.

Maybe someday when i get a bigger house and i have a second room i will go on my quest to find another pair of cf4's.  :D

Alex

• Like 4

CF-4 SPECIFICATIONS

BUILT FROM: 1994
BUILT UNTIL: 1996
DIMENSIONS: 44" (111.76cm) x 17" (43.18cm) x 19" (48.26cm)
ENCLOSURE MATERIAL: Medium density fiberboard construction (MDF)
ENCLOSURE TYPE: Bass reflex via dual front-mounted ports
FINISHES: Whitewash, Lt. Oak, Med. Oak, Cherry, Walnut, Black Satin
FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 34Hz-20kHz(+-)3dB
HIGH FREQUENCY HORN: 90(o) x 60(o) Tractrix(r) Horn
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms
POWER HANDLING: 300 watts maximum continuous (1200 watts peak)
SENSITIVITY: 102dB @ 1watt/1meter
TWEETER: K-63-KN 2" (5.08cm) Aluminum diaphragm compression driver
WEIGHT: 108 lbs. (48.99kg)
WOOFER: Two K-30-KN 12" (30.48cm) Poly carbon graphite cones

+++

Edit 12/14/2020 - Instead of me listing video links it is easier and more complete to go to Youtube directly and search on "Klipsch Epic CF4."  As of this date there were 8 videos.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=klipsch+cf-4+specifications

• Like 3

LINKS:  This section includes links to specifications, reviews and upgrades to the CF-3 and CF-4.

Links last updated 04/24/2022 (article was for CF-3 from 2008)

The used prices for CF-3 and CF-4 are in the Heritage Prices spreadsheet at the bottom of this post.

Added CF-4 v3 Schematic in .pdf format:

Note:  The CF-2 uses the K-64-KN compression driver, the CF-3 and CF-4 uses the K-63-KN.

CF-4 v3 schematic

Klipsch CF-4 Schematic(1)(1).pdf

http://images.klipsch.com/Brochure_940900_epic_635164772854408000.pdf

CF-3 CF-4 and EPIC Series Klipsch Forum 01/22/01   Epic CF Series.  "OK -Everything you ever wanted to know about EPIC but were afraid to ask."  This is a must read which details the differences between Epic CF-3/4 Versions 1, 2, and 3 as posted in Post 13 by Klipsch employee Guest_JimG_* 

CF-3 Speakerasylum.com 03/18/08   "REVIEW Klipsch CF-3 Speakers."  Owner review.  The CF-3 v1 is a good rock speaker with excellent mid range but lacks the extreme highs compared to the B&W Matrix 801. The CF-3 is "powerful, efficient, musical, has great imaging with low distortion.  Can be easily adjusted to be forgiving/Detailed/Transparent/Musical."  ka7niq

CF-3 Klipsch Forum 03/25/13  "Epic CF-3 Bracing and Damping."  Also applies to CF-4.  Extensive specific and detailed discussion on bracing the CF-3 cabinet with pictures.  kapsnb01

CF-3 Klipsch Forum 06/12/14  Crossover schematic for the CF-3 ( rev b ) Moray James

CF-3 CF-4 Klipsch Forum 0/24/14  Details the two changes needed to retrofit a CF-3 or CF-4 version 2 back to the specifications of the version 1, that being the length of the port tube and a resistor.  avguytx, Moray James

CF-3 Klipsch Forum 09/28/14  "CF-3 Crossovers updated, much better."  These are version 3, with many pictures of the crossover using Solen caps, Dayton Audio caps, Mills resisters.  avguytx

CF-4 Audioasylum.com 05/23/03  Excellent review of the CF-4, with some history of the series.  Crossover point is listed as 1500.  "These do not sound like audiophile speakers, they sound like live music."  ka7niq

CF-4 Klipsch Forum 02/23/04  Crossover point for the CF-4 at 1,600 Hz (incorrectly) claimed.  The actual XO point is 1500 Hz.  Plugging the port tube with a swimming noodle.  MrMcGoo, Ray Garrison

CF-4 and RF-83 Klipsch Forum 01/26/13  "RF-83 vs CF-4 Comparison."  Owner review.  The conclusion is "...the RF-83's have a much more refined sound to them but the CF-4 seems to have much more impact in the low region."  Excellent photography, CF-4 version 1.  @Youthman

CF-4 Klipsch Forum 04/04/14  "Epic CF-4 Needs Overhaul."  Detailed post on the CF-4 v1 on how to remove stains, applying Minwax Golden Oak stain, which type of polyurethane finish to use.  Extensive pictures include 5" long v1 port tube, crossover boards, clear monster wires, replacement binding posts, 3/4" foam sheets, and horns damped with silicon seal.  There is a single post on how to re-glue a loose dust cap.  @wvu80

CF-4 CF-3 Klipsch Forum 10/06/14  "FYI on Adding Port Length to the Epic Series."  Using cardboard tubes from a carpet store to add variable length to the CF-3 and CF-4 ports.  @avguytx

CF-4 Audiokarma.com 04/26/13 What to look for when buying. @moray james

CF-4 Audiokarma.com 02/11/13 Modifications are discussed, raising the speaker to ear level.  @moray james

CF-4 Klipsch Forum 12/04/14  Picture of the Klipsch K-63-KN four-pound compression driver next to the massive 24-pound EV DH1A.  The four-bolt DH1A with 2" exit throat does not match up well to the one-inch screw-on type CF-4 horn lens without significant modifications and adapters.  @wvu80

CF-4 Klipsch Forum 01/27/14  Opinions on Epic CF-4, L pads, EV DH-1506 mods, @klipschfancf4

CF-4 CF-3 AVSForum.com 04/13/14  Compare and contrast the K-63-KN compression driver of the CF-4/CF-3 to the Denovo DNA-360 compression driver.  The DNA-360 would make a sonically identical replacement for the K-63-KN.  @wvu80

CF-4 Klipsch Forum 07/09/14    Definitive thread on mods including adding the DH-1506 Compression Driver, applying Dynamat to the horn, F-11 acoustical felt damping, bracing the cabinet.  Modifications made by @alexg5775

CF-4 and Klipschorn 04/03/15  "CF-4 vs Khorn Review."  Owner review.  Compare and contrast between a highly modified CF-4 and a lightly modified Klipschorn.  Review is done with Marantz 2252B bi-amped with a Crest ca6 for the LF, Bushmaster MKII DAC, and Fisher 500c. @alexg5775

CF-3 "Back Panel on CF-3 Rattling like a ****" 08/10/2014 Detailed thread w/ pics for fixing a CF-3 v3 which had rattling due to a lack of proper gluing on the back. @avguytx

CF/3 CF/4 Compare contrast the K-63-KN from the CF-3/4 vs the K-64-KN from the CF-2.  08/16/2017  Are the two CD's interchangeable?

Edit:  Specs removed by Klipsch 03/13/16

Klipsch 1995 Brochure with specifications for all Epic models, includes pictures, PDF file

+++++++++++++++++++++

EDIT:  06/26/17 Link to CF-3 rattling and fixed added

I have now posted all the links I have.  There are user reviews but no periodical reviews.  There is CF-3b crossover schematic, but I'd like to add more models and versions.  Please PM me with other links you think that might be relevant here and I'll update this post.  -Dave

+++++++++++++++++++++

Prices for used CF-4 and CF-3 are in the Heritage Prices spreadsheet.  Run your mouse over any cell with a red triangle to see detailed notes on condition, serial numbers, location, and date sold.

Klipsch Heritage used prices ver 2019-12.xlsx

• Like 4

in the

LINKS:

Edit:  This section will be updated for the next several days.  If anyone has information, please send it to me in a PM and I'll include it here.  Thanks!

CF-3 and EPIC Series Klipsch Forum 01/24/2001   "OK -Everything you ever wanted to know about EPIC but were afraid to ask."  This is a must read, as definitive facts are posted in Post 13 by Klipsch employee Guest_JimG_* 

I read this post. Jim says the mid is basically same as the mid on the klf but the klipsch website has them listed differently CF- K-63-KN 2"  , KLF K-52-1.5"

had CF3 rev3 prefered the woofers in my KLF20 sold the woofers from the CF3 and got rid of the cabinet as I don't like WTW designs. I have the CF3 networks (several sets now) and it s easy to convert them back into a rev one version. The horn of the CF3/4 is in my mind a poor mans K510 for a one inch screw on driver. Good horn design poor build quality with its thin wall thickness it resonates if you don't stiffen and damp it. I don't use these horns any more I use paper Karlson double cut away K-Tubes in stead I prefer them to the horns. All these designs need brace work and damping and they (the bass cabinets) really all need to be larger. I switch early from the original neo Klipsch driver in my CF3 to the EV DH1506. There is a significant difference between the sound quality of two drivers. Now I use my EV DH1A drivers with the extender nose cups removed so they are no longer the nominal two inch exit but now are a one point four inch exit.

PS: the horn in a CF3/4 is not the same horn as the mid horn in a KLF20/30. Anyone who tells you this is very much wrong and has never had any direct experience with them. I hope that helps to clear things up. The horn in the CF3/4 is the largest wide band horn used in any Klipsch home loudspeaker, it is almost as large as a K510 but not quite, the CF3/4 horn is a standard one inch screw mount design it is a hybrid conical tractrix design.

Edited by moray james
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

CF-3 and EPIC Series Klipsch Forum 01/24/2001   "OK -Everything you ever wanted to know about EPIC but were afraid to ask."  This is a must read, as definitive facts are posted in Post 13 by Klipsch employee Guest_JimG_* 

I read this post. Jim says the mid is basically same as the mid on the klf but the klipsch website has them listed differently CF- K-63-KN 2"  , KLF K-52-1.5"

I read that again and looked at the specs.  Jim said:

The midrange horn on KLF-20/30, the only horn on KLF-10 and the horn on your CF-3's are all the same.

Both the CF-3 and the KLF-20 have the same horn (not CD), the  90(o)x60(o) Tractrix® Horn, model K-603.

Could that be what he meant?

++++++  Changing Subjects ++++++++++

...sold the woofers from the CF3 and got rid of the cabinet as I don't like WTW designs. (snip)  -Moray James

BTW Moray, I am your opposite, I am totally sold on and love the sound of the MTM D'Appolito design.  :wub:  I think that big blended sound is part of the reason the CF-4 sounds so great.

Edited by wvu80

I read that again and looked at the specs.  Jim said:

The midrange horn on KLF-20/30, the only horn on KLF-10 and the horn on your CF-3's are all the same.

Both the CF-3 and the KLF-20 have the same horn (not CD), the  90(o)x60(o) Tractrix® Horn.

Could that be what he meant?

++++++  Changing Subjects ++++++++++

...sold the woofers from the CF3 and got rid of the cabinet as I don't like WTW designs. (snip)  -Moray James

BTW Moray, I am your opposite, I am totally sold on and love the sound of the MTM D'Appolito design.  :wub:  I think that big blended sound is part of the reason the CF-4 sounds so great.

Quote "The midrange horn on KLF-20/30, the only horn on KLF-10 and the horn on your CF-3's are all the same."

The above statement is factually incorrect the KLF20/30 the KLF10 and the CF3/4 all uses different horns they are most definitely not the same at all.

• Klipsch Employees

had CF3 rev3 prefered the woofers in my KLF20 sold the woofers from the CF3 and got rid of the cabinet as I don't like WTW designs. I have the CF3 networks (several sets now) and it s easy to convert them back into a rev one version. The horn of the CF3/4 is in my mind a poor mans K510 for a one inch screw on driver. Good horn design poor build quality with its thin wall thickness it resonates if you don't stiffen and damp it. I don't use these horns any more I use paper Karlson double cut away K-Tubes in stead I prefer them to the horns. All these designs need brace work and damping and they (the bass cabinets) really all need to be larger. I switch early from the original neo Klipsch driver in my CF3 to the EV DH1506. There is a significant difference between the sound quality of two drivers. Now I use my EV DH1A drivers with the extender nose cups removed so they are no longer the nominal two inch exit but now are a one point four inch exit.PS: the horn in a CF3/4 is not the same horn as the mid horn in a KLF20/30. Anyone who tells you this is very much wrong and has never had any direct experience with them. I hope that helps to clear things up. The horn in the CF3/4 is the largest wide band horn used in any Klipsch home loudspeaker, it is almost as large as a K510 but not quite, the CF3/4 horn is a standard one inch screw mount design it is a hybrid conical tractrix design.

. A hybrid conical tractrix design ??? Who said?

I have two pair of Epic CF-2. Lots of mods on one pair, the other is bone stock. The last pair I bought has the notorious loose cabinetry. They will get a redo, but right now are playing in my garage 24/7. I just picked up a pair of Cornwall II for $90 at a thrift. Perfect (mint) condition in Oak Lacquered with Cane Grill cloth. I now have one of every Heritage speaker. 

had CF3 rev3 prefered the woofers in my KLF20 sold the woofers from the CF3 and got rid of the cabinet as I don't like WTW designs. I have the CF3 networks (several sets now) and it s easy to convert them back into a rev one version. The horn of the CF3/4 is in my mind a poor mans K510 for a one inch screw on driver. Good horn design poor build quality with its thin wall thickness it resonates if you don't stiffen and damp it. I don't use these horns any more I use paper Karlson double cut away K-Tubes in stead I prefer them to the horns. All these designs need brace work and damping and they (the bass cabinets) really all need to be larger. I switch early from the original neo Klipsch driver in my CF3 to the EV DH1506. There is a significant difference between the sound quality of two drivers. Now I use my EV DH1A drivers with the extender nose cups removed so they are no longer the nominal two inch exit but now are a one point four inch exit.PS: the horn in a CF3/4 is not the same horn as the mid horn in a KLF20/30. Anyone who tells you this is very much wrong and has never had any direct experience with them. I hope that helps to clear things up. The horn in the CF3/4 is the largest wide band horn used in any Klipsch home loudspeaker, it is almost as large as a K510 but not quite, the CF3/4 horn is a standard one inch screw mount design it is a hybrid conical tractrix design.

. A hybrid conical tractrix design ??? Who said?

Chief Bonehead: that was what I found as a description given by Klipsch in some literature along the way describing a horn with had a conical section in the throat and then a very small transition section Followed by tractrix horizontal and vertical sets of profiles. I think that was in connection with the mid horn used in the Forte ll so you would know about that. I think that the KLF20/30 mid horn is described also as a tractrix horn and you can comment on the CF3/4 horn also. I took it that the combination of the conical throat section followed by a short transition section which looks like a very short set of parallel walls intended (I take it) to set the beginning of the rectangular shape the horn ends up in with alternate profile for horizontal and vertical was considered as a hybrid design (in that case a conical section followed by a tractrix profiles for horizontal and vertical ending with a rectangular mouth). As to the tractrix I was under the impression that the KLF10 the KLF20/30 mid and the CF3/4 all were tractrix profiles but I would be delighted to have the actual facts from you if this is not the case. I apologize if I have been in error please set the record straight. Thank you Roy for making this thread possible in the first place. Best regards Moray James.

• Klipsch Employees

oh i remember that.  in my attempt to try to explain the advantages tractrix to the marketing/lit guys, it was oversimplied.  in a nutshell the horns are a modified tractrix equation.  i modified the equation in order to get different coverage patterns.  

i am glad that your guys like the epic. it is still one of my favorites.  take care

• Like 4

This has been in the back of my mind for awhile, what tube amplifiers and tubes would be great for the epic cf 3/4 series?

i'm just curious on how the highs would sound, i have the lows covered with my Marantz mono amps, and have modified the compression driver with the ev-dh 1506

i am very HAPPY with the sound i have now and can live without the change, just wondering if better highs are to be gained with going with tube amps for the highs?

• 3 months later...

New owner checking in, I now understand the obsession with these. These will be mine for a long time.

Cool beans Rockhound, congrats.  :emotion-21:   :emotion-19:

What's the story on your CF-4's?  Where did you find them, through what audio gear are you playing them?

And you've been here long enough to know pics are needed so we can tell how they sound.  B)