Klipsch Epic Owners Group

kapsnb01

On 1/1/2020 at 10:36 PM, mustangerfourlife said:

How did you disassemble the plastic on the front and the rear wood on your CF3s?

Thanks in advanced.I was thinking of getting the Black off mine.I redid an old pair of Quartets that had walnut under them.These seem to have cherry or walnut.the grain looks smooth like walnut or cherry.

Hi mustangerfourlife,

I only removed the front baffle. If you pull out the speaker grill sockets on the front baffle you will find 6 screws. There are also 2 more screws under the tweeter horn. A total of 8 screws hold the front baffle on. After you remove the screws, you can pull the front baffle off. It is held in place with a sticky butyl tape.

I used this when I reinstalled the front baffle.

You need to stretch this new tape out so it goes on thinner so the baffle lays flush with the box. I bought it from Parts Express. You will need to remove the old tape with a flat blade screw driver from the front baffle "groove" and a flat scrapper off the "tongue" on the speaker box prior to using the new sticky tape.

KIMG0956.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Emile said:

Good price for the buyer ... paid more for mine :D 

He was happy. I am happy, so all good for both of us.

I had them listed for $900, dropped to $800, I accepted $700.

I learned a lot from you guys about the Epic series, hopefully you learned a little from me.

Good news is, I got some cash to find another score.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, 2Spike said:

Hey Crunchman12001 its me Jim Yes Iam one  happy camper on the purchase of my first Klipsch speakers. Can you send me a link to the speaker cables you were talking about, I have the memory  of a 63 year old man😂

Hey Jim,

Sent you a link on the wires.

Welcome to the Epic Owners Group. Here is a great link to learn about your new CF-3's. This is to post #1 on this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

HOLY SHITBALLS! Cleaning up my old Klipsch SA-3s from the deck and wanted some music. Had these CF3s (V3) stored for over a year  in the workshop. Never hooked them up to a decent amp and played them as mains so put them in the middle room, used a Marantz 2240 that was on the shelf and a Sony SACD player set to 2 channel. Popped in Chucho Valdes Bele Bele en La Habana and now I understand. I may like them better than the LaScalas. Going to be spending more time in the workshop, scaring the cat.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
32 minutes ago, LORDROOTMAN said:

New here first post 

can someone help me to identify CF4 Versions

this is the serial number: 046594080/046594079 

041594652/041594607

Let me break it down.  DDD Y2Y1 ####.  046 59 4079 

Your CF-4 was born on day 041, 1995.  CF-4's were made for 3 years, 94-95-96.  1995 was the second year so those are version 2's.

++++

Congrats on the new CF-4's.  They are fantastic!  Let me help you improve the sound for a few bucks.

Problem:  There is  bit of harshness in the HF, and to my ears, they are just a bit nasal sounding. 

1.  Damp the horn with something.  Some people use the expensive Dynamat, I used $5 worth of pure silicone caulk, one 10 oz tube per horn.

2.  Get some Fiberfil from Walmart, the stuff they use for pillows.  Put about a pound in the bottom of the enclosure.  Be sure not to block the flow of air through the ports.  This will lower the overall sound about 1/3 octave.  Just about right. 

If you want to retrofit your version 2 to a version 1, you can make the port tube 5.5" long instead of 2.5".  Then there is a resistor that needs to be changed so the crossover matches the port change.  I don't remember that exact change but the info is probably in this thread.

The K-63 KN is the compression driver.  You can see I applied the silicon to the horn asymmetrically but honestly, it probably doesn't matter.  These pics are all from my CF-4 v1.

post-58280-0-78360000-1396668014_thumb.jpgpost-58280-0-87120000-1396668983_thumb.jpgpost-58280-0-09360000-1402492289_thumb.jpgpost-58280-0-40660000-1408408525_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, LORDROOTMAN said:

Not yet owner lol 

I want to buy it is listed on eBay for 2400 and 1500 kind of expensive waiting for the right deals 

LOL!  It looks like I jumped the deal!

In my OPINION the CF-4's are worth about $800 for v1, 700 v2 and 600 v3.  But I track actual sales and some guys love them and pay big bucks for them.

Here is the DATA with confirmed prices, my Heritage Prices spreadsheet.  My opinion sometimes doesn't agree with reality as the CF-4's average $1100.  You can see what things actually sold for, not just Dave's "opinion."  :cool:

It's a good research tool, feel free to download.

https://1drv.ms/x/s!Ao9ZM0jKLDUYqRrX4NPmgGLDawvW?e=fUyeVj

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Have had both the KLF-30’s and CF’4 ver.1’s at the same time. I do not have the 30’s anymore if that says something. I had the KLF-30’s at one time for a number of years prior to the CF-4’s. I did like the legends for home theater but not for music. They did not present a full sound like the Epics do. And the CF-4’s have a subwoofer bass sound to them, I recently had to check to see if my 115r sub was on (it was not) when I was playing my CF-4’s. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I did like the legends for home theater but not for music. They did not present a full sound like the Epics do.

Cabs were probably leaking. If they're solid, they should have a full sound.

Or the woofs were blown. Or the crossovers were bad. Or the mids were hooked up out of phase. Or this....or that. So many issues with these speakers but when they're 'right'.....they're very impressive. Not taking anything away from the CF-4's. They are awesome speakers.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SWL said:

Cabs were probably leaking. If they're solid, they should have a full sound.

Or the woofs were blown. Or the crossovers were bad. Or the mids were hooked up out of phase.

I didn’t have any of those issues. I recapped the 30’s had updated the mids and tweeters to titanium diaphragms as well.. The 30’s are tuned to 36hz where as the 1st version CF-4’s were tuned to 32hz. 

• Like 1

I didn’t have any of those issues. I recapped the 30’s had updated the mids and tweeters to titanium diaphragms as well.. The 30’s are tuned to 36hz where as the 1st version CF-4’s were tuned to 32hz. 
No doubt you have some kick *** speakers. They're next on my list....but I can't get those new Cornwall IV's out of my mind since auditioning them a few months ago......

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1