Klipsch Epic Owners Group

kapsnb01

Ha. Why didn't i ever think of that. Water in the tub, enough to submerge these huge grills, add some black dye.  Nice.  This grill cloth always bugged me. I assumed it was made purposely grayish in color like the original horn was also dark gray, but i prefer it pure black. I'll have to give that a go one of these days.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Micklipsch said:

Naw, black black.

CF-4 are definitely some of the most modern Klipsch speakers   out there and they were way ahead of anything out there for their time  , and to boot , they were expensive to manufacture -

• Like 2

Ha. Why didn't i ever think of that. Water in the tub, enough to submerge these huge grills, add some black dye.  Nice.  This grill cloth always bugged me. I assumed it was made purposely grayish in color like the original horn was also dark gray, but i prefer it pure black. I'll have to give that a go one of these days.
Doh. Ive never used dye before but pretty sure cant use the tub. Difficult to work with a large grill. Could take the cloth off and do it in a stainless steel sink or plastic container and then reglue the fabric onto the grill mold, but hard get it perfectly tight like factory

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Micklipsch said:

Riddle me this.. a serial number of 04159xxx, but supposedly V1. Long port tubes and confirmed monster cable. Possible V2 conversion? Did some V1s get made in early ‘95??

00BCDBF5-B92B-45B9-9B3E-50EF459FDC53.jpeg

Have an opportunity to buy these seemingly v1s in 8/10 condition light oak for $1,200. The caveat: one of them had a capacitor fall out, so the owner never played it after that and wisely won’t until Crites rebuilds the XOs. I auditioned the other one and it was phenomenal. The owner is an audio fanatic and a super cool guy to boot. 

Due diligence demands I audition the downed speaker but obviously can’t until XO is rebuilt. Pretty sure the owner doesn’t want to swap XO from the good one just to demo. 

I wasn’t able to confirm monster cable in the second speaker, but it indeed had the longer port tubes. I’ve read about a “V1”

owner having sequential S/N and one having clear monsters, and the other, colored. This is a lesser concern, though. 

Thoughts?

Edit: owner found a build date slip inside the cabinet when pulling one of the ports and the date was firmly in ‘94. Need some Sherlock Holmes action on this. 

• Like 3

On 2/6/2021 at 7:47 PM, Maximus89 said:

BTW everyone. My issue is gone.

Glad to hear it!  Those things can drive you crazy trying to find the exact problem so it can be fixed.

If you are getting a buzz only at certain frequencies I would bet dollars to dough nets its the dust cap.  My CF-4 had that exact problem and the dust cap appeared solid, but it was only glued properly on 3/4 of the rim.  That little 1/4 looseness caused the buzzing at a specific mid-range frequency. 

It's hard to find, but easy to fix.  The secret is after the dust cap has been glued was to get something to press down on ONLY the outside of the dust cap.  I used one of my wife's round vases which had a 3" (I think) mouth.  Worked great.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Micklipsch said:

Riddle me this.. a serial number of 04159xxx, but supposedly V1. Long port tubes and confirmed monster cable. Possible V2 conversion? Did some V1s get made in early ‘95??

00BCDBF5-B92B-45B9-9B3E-50EF459FDC53.jpeg

Serial number is not correct for v1.

The port length is 5.5 inches v1.  Otherwise v2

Monster cable was on v1 and v2

The horn lens should be gray v1.  Otherwise v2

Check the XO which is attached to the binding posts.  Here's the CF-4 v3 schematic. 

EDIT:  I just re-checked the PDF and this is the VERSION 3 schematic, no matter what the label says.  The schematic specifies the RED/GREEN wires.  V3 only.

Klipsch CF-4 Schematic(1)(1).pdf

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Serial number is not correct for v1.

The port length is 5.5 inches v1.  Otherwise v2

Monster cable was on v1 and v2

The horn lens should be gray v1.  Otherwise v2

Check the XO which is attached to the binding posts.  Here's the CF-4 v3 schematic. 

EDIT:  I just re-checked the PDF and this is the VERSION 3 schematic, no matter what the label says.  The schematic specifies the RED/GREEN wires.  V3 only.

Klipsch CF-4 Schematic(1)(1).pdf 273.79 kB · 56 downloads

Port length

Monster cable

Grey horn

S/N

1994 Build sheet found inside cabinet

These serial numbers closely match a pair of local CF4s with the shorter ports. This pair’s serial numbers are also 04159xxx.

The pair I’m contemplating buying has a build sheet dated in ‘94, yet S/N implies otherwise. 

None of this adds up. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Micklipsch said:

Grey horn

If it has the grey horn that would convince me the speaker has all the trappings of a version 1.  The port length and minor XO changes can be retrofit to v1 specs but not that horn.

I value the v1 the highest and then deduct $100 for each subsequent version.  v1=$1000, v2=900, v3=800 (round number estimates on dollar valuations)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Maximus89 said:

Doh. Ive never used dye before but pretty sure cant use the tub. Difficult to work with a large grill. Could take the cloth off and do it in a stainless steel sink or plastic container and then reglue the fabric onto the grill mold, but hard get it perfectly tight like factory

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yeah I definitely wouldn’t go detaching the grill from the frame. That’s “leaving well enough alone” territory.

Maybe save it for a summer outside project. Use a big tote with water and die, wash it down similar to how I described, then start dunking it in the dyed water till you get even coverage. Then let the sun give it a nice dry for five minutes or so and you should be good.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wvu80 said:

If it has the grey horn that would convince me the speaker has all the trappings of a version 1.  The port length and minor XO changes can be retrofit to v1 specs but not that horn.

I value the v1 the highest and then deduct $100 for each subsequent version.  v1=$1000, v2=900, v3=800 (round number estimates on dollar valuations)

There is a good example of the gray just posted here in garage sale. Nice...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wvu80 said:

With all that said, I’d think an 8/10 V1 with Crites XOs for a total cost of ~$1,350 is in fair range. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Micklipsch said:

Have an opportunity to buy these seemingly v1s in 8/10 condition light oak for $1,200. The caveat: one of them had a capacitor fall out, so the owner never played it after that and wisely won’t until Crites rebuilds the XOs. I auditioned the other one and it was phenomenal. The owner is an audio fanatic and a super cool guy to boot. 

Due diligence demands I audition the downed speaker but obviously can’t until XO is rebuilt. Pretty sure the owner doesn’t want to swap XO from the good one just to demo. 

I wasn’t able to confirm monster cable in the second speaker, but it indeed had the longer port tubes. I’ve read about a “V1”

owner having sequential S/N and one having clear monsters, and the other, colored. This is a lesser concern, though. 

Thoughts?

Edit: owner found a build date slip inside the cabinet when pulling one of the ports and the date was firmly in ‘94. Need some Sherlock Holmes action on this. 

you or the owner, if you/they know how to solder, can just resolder the cap back in place if its not physically damaged.  dont need to have them rebuilt. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1