Bob Crites CT120 tweeters

kg4guy

For anyone that might be contemplating a purchase, I just tried to order a pair but Bob is sold out. He is out of the B&C DE120 drivers and does not expect them until December.

I was 10 minutes late so congrats to whoever got the last pair.

I may be one of the guilty parties!  When I emailed Bob Crites two days ago about his newest tweeters he said he only had a couple pairs left and suggested I claim a pair right away.  I did; expecting delivery next week.

~

Damned scalawag's! Also grabbing the last full share when they should be swabbing the deck or walking the plank!!  ;)

Edited by Wolfbane
  • Like 1

Claude,   Do you mean Bob's CT-125? 

Yes, that is what I have in my Super Heresy's currently. I also had a pair of those CT-125's in LaScalas I refurbished, where I dropped the midrange/K55 level on the Autoformer by 3 db to match, since the CT-125 is not efficient enough for a Khorn/Belle/LaScala. It's a really good sounding tweeter and it measures ruler flat to 20K for all other Klipsch Heritage, however.

The drivers I had in the Dave's Elliptrac (totally different horn lens from Bob's, obviously) were the B&C DE-120's he's currently out of. They had a measured RISING response from 10-20K and I found them a little too "sizzly" for my ears in the small room they occupied at the time. Maybe it was the driver/horn combination or the room, or my personal sensitivity to high frequencies. 

This is not a bad thing, per se, but personal preference strictly, as Jim Jimbo is very happy with what I perceived as a sizzle/sibilance, which I found irritating on certain female vocals (the room didn't help that at all, and the most important component of all).

Other than that, they are Crystal Clean/Clear as can be, and I'm sure they are a great Driver on Bob's Tweeter horn, but I've never heard them. I can only tell you what I personally measured and lived with.

Like I said before, the room is the BOWL, the speaker is the SOUP, and YOU own the salt shaker, the taste buds, and the wallet.

Happy Tweeting because you can't go wrong with any of them, truly.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

Yes, that is what I have in my Super Heresy's currently. I also had a pair of those CT-125's in LaScalas I refurbished, where I dropped the midrange/K55 level on the Autoformer by 3 db to match, since the CT-125 is not efficient enough for a Khorn/Belle/LaScala. It's a really good sounding tweeter and it measures ruler flat to 20K for all other Klipsch Heritage, however.

Huh? Bob sells it as in drop-in replacement for the K77 and you are saying it isn't?

Huh? Bob sells it as in drop-in replacement for the K77 and you are saying it isn't?

It's PHYSICALLY a drop in, but I prefer the mids about 2 db lower using Bob's Autoformer that gives you 1 db steps.

• 1 month later...

IMG_1314_zpsky453glz.jpg

CT120/Fastrac update:  

As posted several weeks ago, I placed an order for Crites CT120 tweeters, and shortly thereafter decided to go a step farther and order a set of Dave's Fastrac horns.  I've been out of town, and busy with refurbishing my listening room (see plastic sheets on windows!) and haven't had the chance to hook everything up until just the last couple of days. Have logged several hours of listening time with the new components and I can only reiterate what several of you have already said: the overall sound, to my ears, has blended into a "smoother" audio experience while remaining detailed and clear compared to the OEM K77/K400 components.  Also, it seems that the Fastracs are not susceptible to the "ringing" effect that was inherent in the K400 squawkers.  On a side note, having the new components sitting on top of my 'Scalas has broadened the "sound stage" to some degree, in effect making the speakers sound larger, if that's possible. That will likely change, however, when I get around to installing the items within the cabs.  In summary, I am quite pleased with the upgrades, and fully expect this setup to provide me with much listening enjoyment for many years to come.  Have a great Christmas everyone!

• Like 1

$65 difference between 125's and the newer offering 120's.

I've got '77 Belles and will be looking at both x-overs (AA original) and tweets.

Which tweets, now are the best way to go?

Edited by Arrow#422

Order placed. I will post after I've installed them and listened to them for a while. Spent about 3 hours spinning vinyl today and I guess I always considered the K77s to be OK but I also always considered them to be one part of my Khorns that I'd need to improve one day. It only too my 18 years  :)

As an added bonus if you purchase a pair of CT-120's or the new CT-125's you get to deal a true gentleman and one of the best and most responsive vendor's of anything aftermarket related to Klipsch.

Stands behind everything he sells, fast shipping, prompt email or telephone response.

I'll second that statement. A pleasure to deal with. I know it is not a Klipsch product but I like the description of the Cornscala. I would rather have a horn bass but horn bass cabinets are not a good WAF. When I owned Bose 901's my ex was always sliding them against the wall to get them out of the way no matter how many times I told her they were supposed to be 18" from the wall.

so you finally slid your ex out of the way then, right?