My opinion the LaScala:

Was the mid range 400-6,000 intentionally boosted to put the human (Female) voice more forward aka Hear the Angels Singing? The K-55 really makes the angels sing.

The low end could be better, a design trade off

I don't find my La Scalas to be forward.  In my old room, I had a subwoofer crossover problem, but otherwise the system was about +/- 6 dB from 16 to 14k. 

Is your room reflective?  I deliberately made mine dead, so the center and surrounds could control the sound location better. 

The biggest problem the room has is it's too-small at 15x16.5....They sound great, but I frequently wish I could push them further away from me when listening.

When new, they were in a carpeted 20-25 x 30-35ft room, where they could really breath.

I don't think it's particularly live, heavy curtains, lots of books, cloth stuffed furniture, area rug in the middle of the room etc.

In short, I like the fact that voice is clear and sweet coming out of these speakers, I believe it was a primary design goal, but I don't have the engineers notes.

Guest David H
I went with felt for the second time in 25 years, the clear and rubber ones will bleed into your wood and stain it.

Crossbraces lots of examples, and volti sells them.

I have been considering building a brace that uses felt tabs so they are not permanent. Currently I have a cam shaped tool to assist the installation.

http://www.fastlaneaudio.com/ez-brace-instructions..html

• Like 1

Nice article on Horns on Wikipedia.

I'm no expert, but it seems like a very good round up article, doesn't mention Klipsch which seems odd.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horn_loudspeaker

The notes look like a good educational source

Nice article on Compression drivers and phase plugs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_driver

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase_plug

500px-Horn_loudspeaker_animation.gif

It does seem odd that Klipsch is not mentioned. I think the horn loudspeaker page did mention the Klipschorn when I last looked at it a couple of years ago. It looks almost as if someone has edited out any reference to Klipsch, which is conspicuous by its absence.

"It looks almost as if someone has edited out any reference to Klipsch, which is conspicuous by its absence. "

Really?

Why is there a picture of the K400, a drawing and description of the LB-76, and a link to the patent for same?

Did you loosen and retighten all the connections on the crossover board? I would also try better quality woofer inductor. How about Crites 4500 conversion I did that on my K-horns also got iron core woofer inductor from parts express. I think the idea of putting them on wheels is not very good...but everyone has their own ideas. I also smoothed all the casting seems on the mid-horn then painted inside and out with enamel. Another thing I did was to put O-Rings on the mid driver seal the old seal blocks the horn a bit. Also took out the diodes on the tweets. Rick

Edited by ricktate
  • Like 1

I went with felt for the second time in 25 years, the clear and rubber ones will bleed into your wood and stain it.

I have been considering building a brace that uses felt tabs so they are not permanent. Currently I have a cam shaped tool to assist the installation.

I just installed a set of Dave's braces and used his prototype cam tool. Both worked perfectly. Really makes the bass sound more accurate to my ears. 

HTH,

Mark

• Like 1

Did you loosen and retighten all the connections on the crossover board? I would also try better quality woofer inductor. How about Crites 4500 conversion I did that on my K-horns also got iron core woofer inductor from parts express. I think the idea of putting them on wheels is not very good...but everyone has their own ideas. I also smoothed all the casting seems on the mid-horn then painted inside and out with enamel. Another thing I did was to put O-Rings on the mid driver seal the old seal blocks the horn a bit. Also took out the diodes on the tweets. Rick

I did loosen and re-tighten all of the screws connecting the speakers, I didn't want to use contact cleaner since the terminal strip was still connected to the wooden board, suppose I could use a brass toothbrush.

Which inductor (link) did you order, I know someone also recommend the one sold by Crites, what will this fix or improve??

But I love my wheels, why not wheels?

My castings were surprisingly nice when I ran my hand through them and inspected them with a bright light.

What is the function of the diodes and why take them out?

• Like 1

I just installed a set of Dave's braces and used his prototype cam tool. Both worked perfectly. Really makes the bass sound more accurate to my ears. 

HTH,

Mark

If you put your hand on the side of the woofer section is the vibration gone?

I gave the La Scala's a feel while playing at volume this evening. Did the bass make the braced bass bins vibrate? Yes. Frankly, the bass made the separate HF bins vibrate. Not sure what that proves or disproves.

I do know the bass is tighter and more defined with the braces than without. Of course, your mileage my vary.

Mark

• Like 2

Guest David H

The side braces stiffen the side walls immensely by creating a wall to wall brace, thus reducing the sympathetic vibrations of the sidewalls.

The result is a better sound. If I can find some Lascala's locally that need bracing, I will measure the sidewall movement using an accelerometer before and after installation.

There will always be some vibration coming from the cabs, the important question? Is it audible.

Dave

• Like 2

Cross Braces are one possible solution for managing vibration.

I'm hoping to keep this Thread as something of a "list of ideas and links" to other treads so we don't glaze over with the sheer number of posts.

Can someone open a Thread on La Scala Bass Box Vibration Management and Modifications: Cross Bracing approaches and Layering the cabinet, and link to it here?

Something like Full Range in Brisbane has done with his robust  DIY crossover discussion thread.

Edited by Bubo
  • Like 1