Thoughts on Emotiva

MercedesBerater

I am starting to get to the point in my HT build that I'm nitpicking electronics purchases.

I have decided on my PJ and an oppo105D. So video is done.

For the rack- I'm leaning heavily towards Emotiva XMC1 with the XPR5. I like the look, and it's higher build quality within my price range.... However- I have no idea what the thoughts are on these products with my setup.

Reviewers seem to rave about the xmc & xpr.

In the communities opinion- are these top performers for the dollar? Or should I steer clear.

With a fully treated room (acoustic solutions)

4 RF7ii's (front and rear)

1 RF64ii (center)

Dual 15's

Room is 16x25

I have the XPA-5 on my Belles for HT but personally find the internet full of bug reports on their processors alarming. I use the Marantz pre/pro for the same price.

That's what I was thinking also.  The pre/pro issues seem like a pattern also.  They had issues with the UMC-1 and now it seems there are a lot of bugs in the XMC-1...would definitely consider the amps, but the pre/pro...not so much.

I have owned Outlaw, Parasound and many Emotiva amps. I am currently using a UPA-5 but I have owned an XPA-5, XPA-3, UPA-7 and one other, just can't remember which one. I have had great luck with Emotiva and Outlaw, the Parasound was the only amp that I had an issue with but they still have a solid reputation, I just ended up with a faulty unit.

Can't go wrong with Emotiva, especially when you compare the $$$ vs. performance ratio.

• Like 1

I had not found that online about the surround sound processor xmc1.

Hmm... I'm looking for a very low notice floor - I am to embarrassed about the my current receiver to even mention its model number. But anything I play basically has a hiss that's distracting at 12 feet. It's like watching a bluray movie that has all audio gone through phono

I was originally looking at parasound HALO, but that's about double the cost.

Never had any Emo pre/pros but the XPA-5's I have have been rock solid. The XPR-5 has been discontinued by the way.

Here's a killer deal on an Integra pre/pro. This was their flagship at the time and has all the bells and whistles. (except atmos if that's a concern)

http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/thread/43999/integra-shipped-consider-offers-trade

• Like 1

I own the XPA-5 and I'm very happy with it.  There are, no doubt, quieter amps out there.  For me when I want to bring the involuntary smiles during demo time, it delivers.  It's difficult to get the opportunity A/B testing w/other units, but I don't think you'll be disappointed from the amp standpoint.  I can't speak to the pre/pros.

Good luck!  Enjoy the process!

Any pre/pro That are must haves?

Any pre/pros that are dreadful?

My thought process says I should stay with the same company for a few reasons- designed to work together, looks, and maybe troubleshooting issues.

I know in practice it's not important-

Just looking for pretty, quiet, and powerful.

Oh wait... I'm looking for a perfect setup? Haha

I have a huge line up of Emotiva and Sherbourn....sister company. I have nothing but praise for my gear. Every amp I have heard performs outside its price range. There are a few glitches I have seen with Emo pre/pros but I have not seen much in the way of the XMC-1. Just so you know act fast on the XPR-5.....they are discontinuing their complete XPR line of amps. My XPA-2 went head to head with a much pricier Bryston 4BSST in an A/B comparison and since you can buy five XPA-2's for the price of one 4BSST I would say that is a good deal.

Another thing, the amp preamp combo will bring a smile to your face. No way any mainstream receiver would even put up a fight. My XPA-5 is fantastic teamed with a Sherbourn PT7020C4 pre/pro and it blows away about every other combo I have heard. If I had the extra cash right now i would be buying a few of the XPR line amps myself. Good luck!

• Like 1

I owned the bottom of the Emotiva barrel, the Mini-X A-100, and the high noise floor was a total deal breaker. I couldn't stand it.

However, I'm 90% sure that this is only a problem on the A-100 and I did enjoy the sound so much that I'm more than willing to try a higher-end Emo product in the future. Trying to get my hands on an XDA-2 atm :-)

• Like 1