Thoughts on Emotiva

MercedesBerater

I have used a UMC-1 for about four years now, mostly for HT using RF-7s, RC-7, RS-52s, and a Hsu VTF-15H sub.

It had a handshake issue with our Xbox 360 until the latest firmware update was released.  After that no negative issues whatsoever.

It's worth trying a used one with the latest firmware.  Lately they sell for about $350 shipped.  You would get most of that back should you choose to sell it and try a different pre/pro.

This has turned into a very informative thread. This is reinforcing my decision on the emo gear... And making me think lower end amps will be sufficient. Although the reference processor is still on my short list.

Maybe I'll do the lower end series and run 5 mono blocks for similar cost. Xpa1L or xpa100's across the board.

• Like 1

This has turned into a very informative thread. This is reinforcing my decision on the emo gear... And making me think lower end amps will be sufficient. Although the reference processor is still on my short list.

Maybe I'll do the lower end series and run 5 mono blocks for similar cost. Xpa1L or xpa100's across the board.

i went from xpa-5/2 to 7 upa-1's. wanna know what i noticed? not a single thing in sound difference! know what else i noticed? i had ZERO plug ins left. in fact i had to leave like three other things unplugged to try this experiment. kept them for about two weeks and went back to another xpa-2/5. cost me like 500$ to try that little experiment out. and also took up my entire tack at that time. looked cool. but stupid since there was no benefit. 

True, I have the rack space to spare for sure.. If I do one 5 channel amp- I have half my rack just blank. (Ugly)

And for power, I have 12 outlets for rack use, plenty of room/capacity to expand.

And I am building the dedicated HT- so there is a big portion of aesthetics in the amp rack. 100k room and I don't want to look at the amp rack and feel embarrassed. I know, sounds dumb, but I want some of that curb appeal.

And- I can slowly add amps at $599 a channel, instead of plopping down $2500 all at once on one amp.

It sounds pretty cool to me but it just sounds like more parts to go bad, more power used and more money spent. I would probably plop down the $1,200 for an XPA-7 and a very high end Panamax or Furman surge protector/power conditioner with the pretty blue lights and fill in the extra space with some engraved rack panels. I would even put some matching blue LED lights behind the blank panels to add a little "wow" factor.

Just my thoughts.

I have also run 5 separate Outlaw Audio amplifiers at once and I can tell you that one multi-channel amp is the only way I will ever go from here on out.

• Like 1

Myself being an owner of the Outlaw mono block MM2200 amps I have to say they pale in comparison to any of my Emo amps. Even my UPA-1's sounded much more powerful than the Outlaws.... even though their power ratings tell a different story. Personally I would not go with Outlaw again.

Edited by teaman

I would only raise the "volume" that high when using a preamp for volume control.

But, why?

That's where the distortion lies and where anything getting passed from the pre-amp not on the up and up getting through could burn it up. There shouldn't ever be a reason to use the amp at 100%. Even though my UPA-2 is slaving off my Fusion 8100 - I've never had the UPA-2 at max. Even though for select modes my Fusion 8100 gets powered by my XDA-2, I've never had either maxed.

IMO, amplifiers are never designed to play at their max, regardless of the source.

But your UPA-2 IS always at max because there are no gain controls.

For example, when A/B'ing the Emo vs my Adcom 535, I would have the Onkyo 3008 as a preamp and play it at 50% volume, which was plenty loud.

The Adcom would trounce the Emo in dynamic headroom and bass response if the Emo's gain knob was dialed back to remove idle noise. The only way the Emo could match the performance of the Adcom would be if the gain were maxed. This didn't mean I was listening at ear-bleeding levels or even coming close to clipping. I was merely attempting to use it as a standard 2-ch amp with no gain control.

My Adcom also has gain knobs and it's dead silent at maximum level, as it should be. I never have to touch those knobs and that's how the Emo should've been too.

This is why I'm assuming that an Emo such as an XPA-2 would have no problem with noise, because the gain is not adjustable. It's always maxed, wide open, and ready to go!

To be clear, I'm NOT blasting my gear at max levels. I've never blown a speaker or amp and I never intend to.

I knew I would get some flack but there is just some thing about 26 flush mounted drivers, 13 horns and 4 ported 18's that makes me happy. Not the most expensive, largest or even the best sounding option but it is what I would probably build if I had a home with a dedicated HT room.

MercedesBerater,

Is your amp rack a standard 19" rack? They sell blank panels cheap to fill the holes

And whose rack couldn't use one of these:

http://www.funklogic.com/palindrometer

That's an awesome site. I like the Valvecaster 1960. The NCC-1701 looks cool….wasn't that the Star Trek's Enterprise number?  :D

100k room

100 grand and you are gonna use rf-7ii???

I don't know the final build cost, as it's not done- I doubt I'll get to 100k. probably not even 50k if I add up all electronics and every drywall screw. the whole remodel will add up to 100k I'm sure of that, but the HT alone, no. I was exaggerating for effect- most people think a bose htib is a killer setup, And then they will walk into this HT and it'll be like a 100k room in any normal persons eyes/ears.