Thoughts on Emotiva

MercedesBerater

I knew I would get some flack but there is just some thing about 26 flush mounted drivers, 13 horns and 4 ported 18's that makes me happy. Not the most expensive, largest or even the best sounding option but it is what I would probably build if I had a home with a dedicated HT room.

you ever heard the thx ultras? And did you know they retail for MORE than the cinema line up?

Thx ultra???? Man you guys got it all wrong. Cinema or bust! The thx and rf-7ii are NOTHING compared to cinema stuff.

I agree the cinema stuff is the direction to go but to say the 7's are nothing compared to the pro line. The 7's will hold their own and then some. Why you dissing on my speakers?  :P

• Like 1

I'm sure there's merit to the cinema and thx lineup- however, I don't find them appealing. I think the palladium are pretty- but not my style.

One must remember they are not just speakers, they are furniture, they are art, they are statement pieces.

For me, the big boxy stature of the RF7ii with the big ole' copper woofers starting at you. They look hulking and menacing to me.

I don't care for curved and futuristic speakers, and I don't care for the heritage style either- the sound is great- but the appeal just isn't there.

And for my room and budget- if I spend 40-50k on everything to build the room and fill it with blindly electronics and chairs... The leap from my current setup to "the next level" is a big leap. I think it's a big diminishing return slope after rf7's (in my style of speaker)

But yeah, to say rf7's are nothing? I know- you were being hyperbolic for effect to prove your point-

But I'd challenge 75% of listeners cant pick out a winner between my setup & a thx setup when in the same room / electronics.

• Like 1

We were just messing around a little Mercedes, it happens around these parts;)

You have a killer system and you have built it exactly like you wanted to. I would bet that when it is all said and done, it will easily out perform 99% of all home theater systems. I was just dreaming about what I would build and Scrappy was just saying that Cinema is the pinnacle of the Klipsch line-up, performance wise. Although I agree with you, the Cinema series does nothing for me looks wise so I will never own them, even if I am leaving some performance on the table.

Back on track... Emotiva is good.

• Like 1

Oh I know nobody here would outright bash anyone's equipment out of respect for the addiction. I was just adding to the dialogue because you never know who is lurking and might chose to not buy a speaker or equipment based on something that's said.

- I have never heard the cinema setup, but just the name says what it's designed for, so it makes sense.

Back to the Eno discussion --- Does anyone know what normal amperage/watt draw is when in use? The back of equipment gives a max watt usage, but what is a normal watt/amp draw? Wondering if like scrappy said - use the xpa5 and xpa2 would make more sense power consumption wise, or if a group of xpa1L Is about the same power consumption.

I would think even a xpa5 And xpa2 would both require a dedicated 15A breaker each. No?

Thx ultra???? Man you guys got it all wrong. Cinema or bust! The thx and rf-7ii are NOTHING compared to cinema stuff.

I agree the cinema stuff is the direction to go but to say the 7's are nothing compared to the pro line. The 7's will hold their own and then some. Why you dissing on my speakers? :P
never heard them side by side only go off what ref head said. Night and day was what was told to me. So "nothing" means night and day.

Oh I know nobody here would outright bash anyone's equipment out of respect for the addiction. I was just adding to the dialogue because you never know who is lurking and might chose to not buy a speaker or equipment based on something that's said.

- I have never heard the cinema setup, but just the name says what it's designed for, so it makes sense.

Back to the Eno discussion --- Does anyone know what normal amperage/watt draw is when in use? The back of equipment gives a max watt usage, but what is a normal watt/amp draw? Wondering if like scrappy said - use the xpa5 and xpa2 would make more sense power consumption wise, or if a group of xpa1L Is about the same power consumption.

I would think even a xpa5 And xpa2 would both require a dedicated 15A breaker each. No?

if you are running your rf-7 as small and crossing to

Your subs you are using so little power it's not even funny. I won't get into the whole amp debate as I HATE IT WITH A PASSION! And no I ran every amp I had except the sherbourn on a single 15a breaker with no issues.

I personally would have a room full of the Cinema gear. There is no way I could fit the stuff in any of my rooms the way they are situated. To one up it, In fact I would side with the Cinema gear because the pricing is actually better....but once again I understand the bulk and unappealing looks of some of it. I love the looks of it!

That was kind of my though- my a/v rack has one dedicated 20A circuit, and twelve 15A outlets on one circuit.

I figure the initial start up is the big pull of power to fill the capacitors, So if I power on the rack in a sequence it should be ok.

Just wondered what these pull while in use- I can't seem to find that spec, only Idle power and max watt.

I agree the cinema stuff is the direction to go but to say the 7's are nothing compared to the pro line. The 7's will hold their own and then some. Why you dissing on my speakers? :P
never heard them side by side only go off what ref head said. Night and day was what was told to me. So "nothing" means night and day.

I can see where ref would say that because he replaced his RC64 with a 904 for center duties. I have heard three 7's now in Daves system and they will give the 904's a good run. Having that extra 7 in the middle compared to a 64 is night and day.

http://stores.ebay.com/jadedesign?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Emotiva's Ebay store has some goodies in stock right now if anyone is interested. Too bad I was late to the party, they just listed....and sold a Sherbourn 7-150 as soon as it listed at a really good price!

They are adding more listings tonight and tomorrow.

Edited by teaman

I can see where ref would say that because he replaced his RC64 with a 904 for center duties. I have heard three 7's now in Daves system and they will give the 904's a good run. Having that extra 7 in the middle compared to a 64 is night and day.
64 no doubt about it. But ref said even for music in 2.1 night and day. But hey doesn't really matter so not gonna talk about it anymore on this thread. :)

64 no doubt about it. But ref said even for music in 2.1 night and day. But hey doesn't really matter so not gonna talk about it anymore on this thread. :)

Not saying the 7's are better than the cinema line because they aren't and as far as specs they never will be. My point is it's not NIGHT and DAY difference after hearing three 7's up front. I use to think that after hearing refs system too but now that I've heard Daves I don't think they are that far off. This is just my opinion ofc. 

So, after days of scouring everything I can find I've slowly steered away from Emo.

I'm heading into the suburbs of Chicago today with the wife for 2 year anniversary and to find a Marantz dealer to check out the 7702 and the Marantz amps. Biggest reason I switched- no Atmos support from Emotiva. And I want that option, and I think Marantz has a pretty good history when paired with Klipsch?

(Read that Marantz doesn't play nice in sandbox unless amps are paired just right- so for ease I'll just do all the same brand)

Looking into this setup.

1) Either Oppo blu-ray Or Marantz bluray.

HDMI to

2) Marantz AV7702

XLR to

3) Marantz MM7055 (X2 for total of 10 power channels - was going to do a 7055 and (2) 7025's , but that costs $400 more and going this route I can use the 7055 with one channel not used for my front stage - less load on amp, should give cleaner power to front 3? That's where my heads at now)