Thoughts on Emotiva

MercedesBerater

http://stores.ebay.com/jadedesign?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Emotiva's Ebay store has some goodies in stock right now if anyone is interested. Too bad I was late to the party, they just listed....and sold a Sherbourn 7-150 as soon as it listed at a really good price!

They are adding more listings tonight and tomorrow.

Thanks to your post ^^^, I just checked those out.  I thought maybe they were getting rid of some old factory refurb units, but they look like NIB with warranty, at what, close to a third or less of the original retail prices? 

I know those deals won't be of any help to MercedesBerater who said he needs Atmos, but for some old school guys who don't need that there are some good deals to be had.

+++

FYI Teaman:  I have not yet heard back from our friend on the SR-120 on shipping costs, but it's not a big deal.  There is plenty of time for patience, and good things come to those who wait.  B)

I see Ed has been posting in the last day or so on the Emotiva forum so he may still be contemplating the shipping deal. Fingers crossed for you wvu80!

As for the Emotiva jadedesign sales I believe they are trade ins that have been gone over by techs to ensure their up to snuff. They all come with a one year warranty and I have bought about five pieces from them. The ERC CD players are awesome. For someone in the market of mono block amps they have some XPA-1's where the price for a pair is the same as a single amp new. Good deals to be had!

By the way, they seem to accept a lot of the low ball best offers I put forth on the jadedesign Ebay listings. Good idea to start low!

Edited by teaman

• 1 month later...

Don't buy Marantz/Denon.  The folks who recommend them either don't have a quiet enough room to hear the hiss or don't want transients that will truly startle you.  They are very over priced and over hyped.

Go read some of the Home Theater Secrets reviews and compare D&M engineering to Emotiva's.  I was very skeptical of Emotiva as a lot of their stuff is made in China.  But they have some very sharp engineers working there I learned when I picked up a used XMC-1 pre/pro at a great price.  Plus the XMC-1 is made in the US.

This things blows my Marantz AV8801 away, and the difference is audible to everyone who heard the system before too (and as the Secrets reviews show the difference is very measureable).  It's missing some bells and whistles, but who cares.  I would never spend $6k+ on a nice pre/pro, but you don't have to when a product that masseurs as good as a Anthem D2v can be had for $1300 on the used market and includes the remainder of a 5 year warranty.

I'd seriously compare the lab measurements in the reviews below.  I will not buy anything that hasn't been measured and reviewed in this manner again.  Unfortunately, the AV8801 review came out after I bought it blindly (although for a very good price at the time).  I miss Audyssey Pro in some ways, but that's the only good thing I miss.

http://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/receiver-processor/processors/emotiva-xmc-1-processor-review/

http://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/receiver-processor/processors/anthem-statement-d2v-3d-processor-review/

http://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/receiver-processor/processors/marantz-av8801-11-2-surround-sound-processor-ssp/

• Like 1

I see Ed has been posting in the last day or so on the Emotiva forum so he may still be contemplating the shipping deal. Fingers crossed for you wvu80!

LOL!  I tried for 2 months to make a deal, and it's not that the shipped has sailed, it's just that I am no longer waiting at the docks.  B)

Here was my situation.  I had the UPA-5 on modified Khorns, I noticed what would be "floor noise".  So I thought, could a higher end amp sound better.  I came across a deal on a McIntosh MC2505.  After hearing the MC2505 on the Khorns, I was a believer in higher end makes.  Now with that being said, I have tried some lower grade amps that even though they didn't compare to McIntosh, they did sound better than the UPA-5.  Bottom line I would look at other amps as well, maybe something used.  Then again, it  could make a difference that you are using them on the Reference line.

For pre/pro I am using an Integra DHC40.2 which seems to work Ok, I would like to try some others.

Edited by duder1982

My original wish list was all Parasound HALO, But that's would almost triple the expense (or more!) compared to Marantz and Emotiva.

I also MUST have a pre/pro that can do Atmos, which I don't see emo having support for at this time.

Which makes me lean Marantz now..

The room is a dedicated theater with heavy acoustic treatments. (Will be ordering 2" sound suede panels for all the walls from Acoustical Solutions)

So noise & hiss are important qualities to eliminate. However my MLP is 12 feet back from the fronts & 13 feet from the rear speakers.

Duder, remember the UPA-5 is an older model. The newer lines of amps Emotiva has put out have continued to improve with each generation. The XPA-5 is a fantastic amp and I have it paired with the Sherbourn PT7020C4 in two different rooms and the sound is stunning. I am not about to punch holes in my ceiling to add atmos speakers so 7.2 is plenty in any of the rooms i have them in. I have yet to hear a receiver shame my systems. I admit a step up into the Bryston/McIntosh level amps and pres might add significant quality upgrade....but you are paying heavily for it. It will always come down to what you have to spend, want to spend and exactly what you are looking to get out of your system. Bottom line, I have not heard much difference between my Emotiva XPA-2 and my buddy's Bryston 4BSST. You pay five times more for the Bryston but get a twenty year warranty in that case too so if you can afford it maybe worth doing.

• Like 1

remember the UPA-5 is an older model.

Good point, plus I wasn't really comparing apples to apples.  I was just looking at the XPA-2 and wouldn't mind giving it a try.  Though I could build a Firstwatt f5 or f6 or even the M2 for the same price.  I would like to see a Class A, 2 channel amp at that price, I would  give it a try and would say it be worth it for the features and warranty. 

I guess this why these threads are helpful.  As I would have discarded Emotiva all together if I wouldn't have step in.

• Like 1

Good point, plus I wasn't really comparing apples to apples.  I was just looking at the XPA-2 and wouldn't mind giving it a try.  Though I could build a Firstwatt f5 or f6 or even the M2 for the same price.  I would like to see a Class A, 2 channel amp at that price, I would  give it a try and would say it be worth it for the features and warranty. 

I guess this why these threads are helpful.  As I would have discarded Emotiva all together if I wouldn't have step in.

http://stores.ebay.com/jadedesign/

The Emotiva Ebay store linked above has a pair of XPA-1L's available. I think they offer 35 watts pure Class A before they switch over to Class A/B at 250 wpc. Unbelievable price on there as well. Specs below!

https://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/xpa-1l

I have a xpa-2 running my jamboree fronts being fed by a xmc-1, way more power than you will ever need for them. Very clean and the tightest bass I have heard from any speaker so far. Look for used, will save you some cash. Got my xpa-5 new on sale but xpa-2 was used and still had 3yrs on warranty great amp with a lot of horsepower.

• Like 1

Hi Duder!  Haven't talked to you in a while.  I agree.  That was the situation with Emotiva when I bought my amp 3-4 years ago, so I went with a more expensive ATI AT2007 with a very low noise floor.  Some of their products like the XPR-1 monoblock have some killer measurements (made in China, but it's discontinued now so who knows what will replace it).  Of course, this is not characteristic of their XPA lines that have more noise and aren't differential (except for the XPA-1 which I think is).  I think there's a Home Theater Secrets review on those too.

Emotiva-XPR-1-Amp-1-kHz.gif

If the OP just wants/needs enough channels for Atmos, give this place a call for the best price:  http://www.classicaudioparts.com/

They sold me my AT2007 cheaper than what used ones go for with a 10 year warranty too!  Was roughly half off including shipping if I remember right.  ATI is an OEM for companies like Mark Levinson, Lexicon, B&K, etc...  they are the real deal but will cost $500-$1000 more than a comparable Emotiva amp.  ATI amps seem to have solid resale value if you get a great deal on a b-stock unit with full warranty.  I'd recommend their differential amps, they sound great.

I also MUST have a pre/pro that can do Atmos, which I don't see emo having support for at this time. Which makes me lean Marantz now..

Too bad about needing Atmos.  I can tell you from personal experience that you will hear noise at your listening position and will be missing some dynamics if you buy a denon or marantz preamp.  This probably wouldn't bother most folks though, but my room has 30 room treatments, so I hear the hiss more easily.  They aren't as well made as the XMC-1 which is really made in Tennessee and designed by some very sharp folks.  I'd almost say wait for the XMR-1 which will be an XMC-1 with 16 channels (will do DTS-X and Atmos too).  It is supposed to come in 2016, but Emotiva has been late on releasing stuff so who knows!  Search some of the older AV8801 threads, there are multiple complaints about the noise floor.

I can tell you that my 7.2 system with 30 room treatments beats any Atmos setup I've heard.  You'd be better off sound wise to buy a used XMC-1 and spend several grand on room treatments or lots of time, buy a UMIK mic from cross-spectrum labs, learn how to use REW, etc...  I totally understand about wanting Atmos though.  I may buy an XMR-1 when they come out if I can find a 40% off card!  I would seriously read the Marantz review at that Secrets site.  If you think they've improved things, I highly doubt it.  I want to see real lab measurements before ever buying a D&M product.  They lost all credibility in my book, along with all the sites recommending them.  D&M will not take care of you either, once a new HDMI version comes out you have to throw out your processor, while Emotiva is going to offer an HDMI 2.0 card upgrade shortly for the XMC-1...

emotiva-xmc-1-processor-fig28-lg.jpg

Once you put noise like what Marantz offers through an amp with a gain of 28dB, you can bet you can hear it on our sensitive speakers if you have a quiet room:

marantz-av8801-processor-fig21-lg.jpg

Here was my situation.  I had the UPA-5 on modified Khorns, I noticed what would be "floor noise".  So I thought, could a higher end amp sound better.  I came across a deal on a McIntosh MC2505.  After hearing the MC2505 on the Khorns, I was a believer in higher end makes.  Now with that being said, I have tried some lower grade amps that even though they didn't compare to McIntosh, they did sound better than the UPA-5.  Bottom line I would look at other amps as well, maybe something used.  Then again, it  could make a difference that you are using them on the Reference line.

For pre/pro I am using an Integra DHC40.2 which seems to work Ok, I would like to try some others.

Edited by etc6849
  • Like 1

Etc : If you check out my build thread the room is already pre-wired and has fire enclosures in ceiling for 8" Klipsch atmos speakers.

I'll have 200 square feet of 2" thick acoustic wall treatments from Acoustical solutions. That works out to about 30 PERCENT coverage in the room... Not including carpet, chairs, people, or corner bass traps.

Also, I think my setup will be quite revealing.... However, I may still go against the numbers and get a Marantz pre/pro and Amps & enjoy the room for a few years... Then upgrade to all Halo Parasound. *drool*

Parasound makes stuff that has some very good measurements, but it is expensive compared to the ATI amp I use.

The Marantz measurements may not be as big of a deal to most, just wanted you to be aware of them as there are/were many unsatisfied horn owners in the AV8801 thread due to the hiss.  I definitely hear details I couldn't before with the XMC-1 such as singers taking deep breathes, etc.  If you aren't into music and never switch to even more sensitive speakers, it may not be a big deal to you.

An Audyssey Pro kit is worth getting if you go with the Marantz.  I had a lot of fun using mine with the AV8801, and the pro kit worked very well for me, but I concentrated only on making the money seat as good as possible.

Etc : If you check out my build thread the room is already pre-wired and has fire enclosures in ceiling for 8" Klipsch atmos speakers.

I'll have 200 square feet of 2" thick acoustic wall treatments from Acoustical solutions. That works out to about 30 PERCENT coverage in the room... Not including carpet, chairs, people, or corner bass traps.

Also, I think my setup will be quite revealing.... However, I may still go against the numbers and get a Marantz pre/pro and Amps & enjoy the room for a few years... Then upgrade to all Halo Parasound. *drool*

Emotiva gear has positives and negatives. 

Positives: It is good looking gear that is affordable and it is well designed for the most part. I used to be a huge supporter of them and owned almost everything they produced at one point. Great bang for the buck or so I thought. They do have the best customer service in the industry though so your problem will be resolved. 

Negatives: They are cheaply built in China. Some things about them are built like tanks but the small parts are cheap and you will have failures. Almost everything I own from them has had a failure or two. My ERC CD player would stop playing after a few hours of use, had to be sent in. My XPA-2 lost a channel more than once and I had to ship it back for repairs. My XPA-5 lost several channels as well that had to be sent in. One of my UMC's had to be sent in. My USP had to be sent in. After sending in 80+ lb amps 4-5 times as well as CD players, pre-amps and processors it starts to leave a bad taste in your mouth. Yes the gear looks cool and sounds fine when working but the failures are a testament to being cheaply built. I have Harman Kardon AVR's running strong from the 80's that have never had a failure. That's over 30 years of use and still going strong. I run an HK AVR 325 I've ran non stop since 2002 or so and have never had a problem with it either. 

That being said it's still nice looking and sounding  gear and the cheapest entry into separates backed by very strong customer service.