Thoughts on Emotiva

MercedesBerater

I have owned the XPA-5, for four years and it has performed flawlessly. At the same time I bought the UMC-1. We enjoyed the UMC-1, although it we did occasionally have some bugs. EMOTIVA's provided continuous support to us. They issued several software updates that resolved issues for us.

Overall we were very pleased with the UMC-1, especially considering the price at the time.

Recently we upgraded to the XMC-1 Video/Audio Processor. The difference between the two, is unbelievable. The XMC -1 has exceeded every expectation we ever had. The sound is incredible, the options and quality is at least comparable or exceeds some $10,000 plus units I had checked out for kicks. (Note $3,000, was outside our budget).

Needless to say, I am extremely happy that I found EMOTIVA. Great customer service and communication with their customers.

Light years ahead of my original ADCOMM System that I was originally considering to update. Thankfully I read a posting on the Klipsch Forum from a fellow Klipsch member who shared their positive experience. Which in turn peaked my interest in EMOTIVA.

BTW, our speaker system is: Forte II (Front), Heresy III (Rear), KLF-C7 (Center) & SVS SB 13 ULTRA (Sub).

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I owned the bottom of the Emotiva barrel, the Mini-X A-100, and the high noise floor was a total deal breaker. I couldn't stand it.

However, I'm 90% sure that this is only a problem on the A-100 and I did enjoy the sound so much that I'm more than willing to try a higher-end Emo product in the future. Trying to get my hands on an XDA-2 atm :-)

what speakers was that with?i have used my mini x on just about every speaker i have owned except for my cinema models and its dead silent

im biased and with limited exposure (carver, adcom, Marantz receiver, Harman kardon receiver) but imo the emotiva stuff is great.  never did the xpr line, but had xpa3 and xpa5 and loved them, but flipped them and downgraded to the upa7 and upa2.  both at 125w was all I felt I ever needed.  paired with klipsch the xpa was not needed, again imo.  downgraded and put that $$ into an svs sb13 ultra (that I am now flipping due to neighbor issues).

have used the xda1 and xda2, now on the stealth dc-1 digital preamp/dac.

this where I think emo excels, amps and dacs.

just my biased opinion, top line sound for low $$ = fortes + upa2 + dc-1 + your existing pc.  could be had for $1200 and will make you smile every time.

don't sweat the specs and don't pay for things you can't hear.

Edited by Gregg357
  • Like 1

I honestly tried to talk myself into keeping the XPA-5 when I came across a used UPA-7 but I couldn't tell any difference between the two at extreme levels so the UPA stayed.

If I was you, I would call Emotiva and see if they have any refurbished versions of what you are looking for. I am a paying member of the Emotiva club and they are always pushing their refurbished gear.

• Like 2

I owned the bottom of the Emotiva barrel, the Mini-X A-100, and the high noise floor was a total deal breaker. I couldn't stand it.

However, I'm 90% sure that this is only a problem on the A-100 and I did enjoy the sound so much that I'm more than willing to try a higher-end Emo product in the future. Trying to get my hands on an XDA-2 atm :-)

what speakers was that with?i have used my mini x on just about every speaker i have owned except for my cinema models and its dead silent

Several models, mainly RF-7(original) and Forte II. Once the gain knob was dialed past 70%, the noise was clearly audible. And when sitting at 100%, which was necessary when using a preamp, the noise level was unacceptable.

This was gen 1 mini-x. Maybe gen 2 corrected it? Or maybe I got a dud.

Once the gain knob was dialed past 70%, the noise was clearly audible
there is the difference. i dont think i have ever taken it past 50-60%. 

And when sitting at 100%, which was necessary when using a preamp
curious to why it would need to sit at 100%?

This was gen 1 mini-x. Maybe gen 2 corrected it? Or maybe I got a dud.
not sure when the gen 2 came out. i have had mine since 2011. so I'm sure mine a gen 1 

The cool thing about the Emotiva DAC's is the fact that you can run a pair of speakers through the balanced outputs and a pair of subs from the RCA outputs. Great way to set up a 2.2 system in a minute and without much money invested!

By the way, I have not heard a speaker yet that does not agree with the Emo X series amps.

And when sitting at 100%, which was necessary when using a preamp, the noise level was unacceptable.

I was always taught that it's best to keep the amp level between 45 and 55% - and never above. There is not a single amplifier, preamp, or receiver I've ever owned that I've maxed volume at...

And when sitting at 100%, which was necessary when using a preamp, the noise level was unacceptable.

I was always taught that it's best to keep the amp level between 45 and 55% - and never above. There is not a single amplifier, preamp, or receiver I've ever owned that I've maxed volume at...

I agree with you Michael, I cannot recall ever pushing a dial past half way. At that point you are only inviting distortion....and problems.

No, no, no. You're both misunderstanding. It's not like I was cranking music at 100% power! I would only raise the "volume" that high when using a preamp for volume control.

Imo, the Mini-x should've allowed me to open it up in a similar fashion as using, say, an XPA-2(or my Adcoms) which are always "wide open" to allow for maximum headroom.

Edited by mattSER

Ive owned a couple emo units including the pre's... I always felt they worked well, just not great with heritage. Perhaps that would be different on a reference or klf, but with heritage I never was satisfied with the flat harshness of the Emo "sound" when listening to 2 channel.

HT is quite different, I am sure they are a great... value.

• Like 1

Everyone has their own opinions and what they look for in an amp Schu. There is never anything wrong with disagreeing. I have had a ton of the Emo amps and so far all of them have sounded great with my Klipsch speakers in either HT or two channel. They paired well with my Heresy 1st Gen, KP 250, KG4, KSB 3.1, SB 3 and so on. I think for the money they are really hard to beat. I actually prefer their first gen amps to the second gen since they had higher gain and a really low noise floor.....and to me more bite.

I have that little X 100a amp and its dead quiet with big horns. Really like it.

I use the X-100 connected to my Oppo 105 with my Belle's. I really like it as well. I have the gain control at about 50% on the amp. Mates well with105 and Belle's.......ymmv

Edited by Tasdom

I agree with you Michael, I cannot recall ever pushing a dial past half way. At that point you are only inviting distortion....and problems.

No, no, no. You're both misunderstanding. It's not like I was cranking music at 100% power! I would only raise the "volume" that high when using a preamp for volume control.

Imo, the Mini-x should've allowed me to open it up in a similar fashion as using, say, an XPA-2(or my Adcoms) which are always "wide open" to allow for maximum headroom.

dont think I follow this. An xpa-2 plays to it limits safely I'm sure. The volume control comes from the preamp. I bet you could have got away with using it at much less than 100% gain. I don't know of a single amp that sounds good at 100% volume. Not one. And I've heard a lot.

I would only raise the "volume" that high when using a preamp for volume control.

But, why?

That's where the distortion lies and where anything getting passed from the pre-amp not on the up and up getting through could burn it up. There shouldn't ever be a reason to use the amp at 100%. Even though my UPA-2 is slaving off my Fusion 8100 - I've never had the UPA-2 at max. Even though for select modes my Fusion 8100 gets powered by my XDA-2, I've never had either maxed.

IMO, amplifiers are never designed to play at their max, regardless of the source.

• Like 1