Modding Synergy's for upgrade

rebuy

While I really like my Synergy system--I'm gonna mod them to be better.

Anyone wanting to give advice is welcome and I'll tell you what

I want to do.

This speakers uses a 5 element crossover with

Radial Caps---Could not be Cheaper even though

they were designed for this speaker.

First I'm thinking of upgrading this with better componets.

Second ths speakers uses a aluminum dome tweeter

mated to a Tractrix Horn--I'm thinking of replacing this

with a Dayton Audio D250P-8 compression driver

with an L-pad installed since this driver has an

SPL of 104 Db with 1 watt of power.

The crossover in the Synergy is at the recommended

spot for this driver but the radial caps bother me.

I'm thinking the Horn would make the most

impact of this up grade but will it be OK with

the stock crossover?

I do like the sound--I just want a "bit more Sparkle" on the top end.

Cymbals and the like.

This speaker sounds Large and Dynamic.

I thought by using a better crossover- it would open up the high end a little more.

Since you're reading this--I need a honest opinion

Can I use Reference RF3 crossovers in a Synergy Speaker?

It is built better and the RF3 Crosses at 1975 instead of the 1600

the synergy uses.

I can't afford to buy new speakers but I can get these

crossovers for $90.  Will they make a difference?

That would be 3 crossovers for 90 and how long do the caps

last on these?

Edited by rebuy

Derrick beat me to it again. You could probably get $100 or so out of those Synergies and for $200 you could find a pair of RF-62s, 25s or 3s.

If the high end is the issue, I don't think upping your xover a few hundred hertz will solve all of the issues. Part of the problem is the aluminum driver.

Edited by IbizaFlame

I can sell the Synergies for more than I paid for them

That's not the issue....

I know the aluminum driver is the issue--that is why I'm considering

a Dayton Audio Compression Driver.

Klipsch isn't known for using the highest quality componets

in the crossovers to begin with even though they have

the most sensitive speakers on the market.

The driver I'm looking at is very nice

and then I have my 10 dollar crossover from Klipsch.

Unlike some..I'm a senior on a Fixed income

and then there is the WAF I have to deal with.

There are some things I can get away with....

• Like 1

I am curious. What are you considering spending on your Synergy project with all the parts plus shipping? You are wading into the deep end with no directions for a project. I would expect that if the Synergy cross at 1600Hz. that the reason they do is because that where the woofers are good up to and crossing them higher could well just open a can of worms. Why not look for a pair of RF3 at the right price as those would be a very nice upgrade or you could look to other Klipsch. So long as you are not in a hurry and you look on a regular basis set up some google alerts so you can move quickly when necessary you should be able to find what you want for the price that you can afford. I would be considering a set of KG 5.5 then upgrade to ti diaphragms for the tweeters and you will be in a very nice position. There is nothing wrong with aluminum diaphragms they are superior to titanium. You have a driver and horn which were designed for each other it would be unwise to assume that simply fitting on a different driver will result in improved performance even if the driver is a better one makes no difference. If the Dayton exit opening ID. is different to the entrance ID. of the Synergy horn you are in trouble before you start or if the exit angle of the Dayton is different than the entrance angle of the horn you will have an automatic miss match and reflections and cancellations as a result. Now if you could borrow a pair of Dayton's to experiment with that might be different. Do you have any idea of how you would go about mounting the Dayton drivers to the horn in your Synergy? Unless you want an on going project your money time and energy would be better spent on looking for a used replacement/upgrade Klipsch rather than experimenting. I am all for modifying but I don't get the impression that that is what you really had in mind, it sounds like you simply want a better loudspeaker. If you really want to experiment why don't you first try some good quality film and foil (stacked if you can find them) bypass capacitors in your existing Synergy network for all the caps in there, especially for the electrolytic in the woofer section. That won't cost much and it might just get you where you want to go and it certainly won't move you backwards for your trouble. Best regards Moray James.

Edited by moray james
  • Like 3

• 6 months later...

As a matter of fact--Something really good has come from this.

I actually finished all the mods to these speakers yesterday.

The last thing I did yesterday was redamping the upper portion

of the cabinet with 18 inches of material on the back wall because it was bare.

On the sides between the upper 6&1/2 inch driver and the horn--I used a 6 by 6 inch patch (on both sides of the cabinet)

of insulation to tighen up the boomy bass that these speakers exhibit and to bring out the mids.

All the while being careful--not to impeded the air flow pattern that klipsch designed into this speaker.

The Results--These Synergy sound great---Low Volume or High--

The redamping I did made these sound great--The mids are as good as any speaker I've owned

and now I am completely happy with the sound.

I see where some of you are making fun--Be My Guest--I have the best sounding Synergies around.

The work I put into these paid off in spades.

If you ever come through Ravenswood West Virginia--Drop in for a listen--You might like what you hear.

• Like 4

I see where some of you are making fun--Be My Guest--I have the best sounding Synergies around.

Funny when you put it like that. Reminds me of my buddy who suped up his little Nissan Sentra. Most people wouldn't choose that as a starting point...until they see him smoking unsuspecting Corvettes and Porsches.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This is fantastic to hear.

I have some f2's. They have kept me pretty happy for years but I am getting a little itch. (Maybe even the C2 if there is value and similarity in modding)

I hate to lose my shirt on these when I can just sink a few bucks in and take it up a notch.

Looks like I am going to be hunting through your old threads rebuy to see what I can find if it applies to me. I hope I can gather enough in some searches without repeating and bugging you.

Edited by tastyratz

OK I hate to say, but I spent the last few hours reading your threads and history trying to find more information on your buildout and choices.

A

am I glossing over something @rebuy?

Did you share information and diagrams anywhere, or find them anywhere? Did you get assistance in designing or did you actually pay for a kit?

The other concern I have is the Eminence tweeters are rated for 50w rms... how does that compare to the stock fs3? I don't want to crank things up and end up worse than I started if these are underpowereed in comparison. I like to play back loud when I'm not in the room.