Which Center Channel?

The History Kid

With the purchase of these '81 Heresy's earlier this summer, the focus has now been turned onto the center channel in the room. I'm being informed it "doesn't match" enough now. I'm working with a weight restriction and a size restriction as well as color. The Heresy's are Light Oak (or Walnut Oak? They don't seem that dark though.) The size restriction is about as deep and heavy as the RC-3 II (but it could be wider).

My search has led me thus far to the KV series, but I'm not sure if these would play nicely with the rest of the setup. I know regardless of what I do, nothing is going to be timbre matched. This would have to fit on a shelf above the TV in the room.

Does anyone have any ideas? Or should I just try to talk my way into keeping the RC-3 II? The center would absolutely never be used for music and does not fire directly to the listening point. The MLP's are slight left and right from where the horn will be shooting.

Worth noting, I wouldn't be getting these right away, there's at least a forum member or two I need to get paid up with first. Just asking at this point.

Edited by IbizaFlame

I know you won't have the room Michael but the KLF-C7 sounds amazing and I think it would mesh well with the Heresies. I have mine centering some KG4's with a pair of KG 2.2 as surround and they sound really nice together. You may want to try a KG 2.5 as a center, pretty good match visually at least.

• Like 2

I know you won't have the room Michael but the KLF-C7 sounds amazing and I think it would mesh well with the Heresies. I have mine centering some KG4's with a pair of KG 2.2 as surround and they sound really nice together. You may want to try a KG 2.5 as a center, pretty good match visually at least.

I loved how the KLF-C7 sounded, but it was just too darn big for any room in my house. Otherwise I would have kept/bought the one I was holding onto for Mark. That was one fine center.

I have considered the KG 2.2V and the 2.5. Do you have any experience with the 2.5? They seem to be readily available as are the 2.2's.

Take this lightly since I have never heard it, an Academy may work.  I have heard this recommended for some of the Heritage line.

I was under the impression there were some weak links in the Academy. That being said, I'm not sure the 33 pounds would bode well for the shelf it must sit on. The 28 pounds of the RC-3 seem to be irritating it as it is. :(

• Like 1

I actually prefer the older drivers to the new copper cones. They seem to have more punch. I have three RC-3 II's across the fron with RS-3 II's for the rears and the KSB 3.1's sound far superior to me in overall sound. I think the edge goes to the new lines with vocal clarity though. Another center to consider may be the KSC-C1. Sounds really nice, but I am not sure if it comes in oak or just black.

• Like 1

Gotcha, thanks for the input. I like the overall appearance of the KG line. I was seriously considering a pair of KG 2.2's myself until I got my RB-3's (then RB-5's). They seem to price fairly reasonably too and be easy to find. Would you put them above the KV's, or don't know?

Hi, Michael,

Have/have had nearly all the speakers you are considering.  

Had a KV-4 center (between KLF-30s.  I know, I know, the purists will say it was not timbre-matched, but it still sounded good.).  Then, I had the opportunity to get a KLF-C7.  Have to say that I thought the C7 sounded slightly better, but:  1) not a big difference, 2) can't identify the real reason(s) I thought so at the time, and 3) was a year or so ago, so memory dim).

At this very moment, I am listening to my KG 2.2s, with a 2.2V matching center.  Sound wonderful to me (in my downstairs office of 14' x 11' x 8').  Excellent range, power, and fullness.

But all this has to be taken with several grains of salt, as I am not what most would consider a particularly informed/trained listener.  And, not having the pressure of presumed expertise or opinion to defend, I have to say that I think the KG 2.2s (L/C/R) sound superb.

Good luck, and keep us info'd, OK?

So good to hear from you Jim!

I'm leaning towards the KG's right now, just debating between the 2.2 and the 2.5. I guess it'll be whatever I lay my eyes on first that's in the price plan. I also find the KG's to be cosmetically appealing (just as I do the RF's (the original tier with the dust caps that bulge - something about actually seeing the voice coil dust cap I love)).

Thanks for that.

Bob Crites has a very easy to build design,that sounds great!!

Small for a great center.

Is this on his website, or someplace else?

The "V" (for video) version of the 2.2 and 2.5 are shielded for sitting on top of 1990's era TV's. Which isn't really a concern these days unless you still have a CRT based TV.

Spec wise the 2.2 and 2.5 are essentially identical with the only differences being... The 2.5 is slightly newer, there's a different part number for the woofer in the 2.5, and the grilles on the 2.5 use pins to attach.

The KG 2.2 or 2.5 sound very good (I own a pair) and would work. But between a pair of Heresy, the much smaller horn in the KG may have a hard time keeping up... Depending of course on how loudly you like to listen.

Here's the Crites center channel. Based on what you mentioned earlier it's probably too big and heavy.

http://www.critesspeakers.com/csc-1-center-channel-speake.html

Edited by GPBusa

I loved how the KLF-C7 sounded, but it was just too darn big for any room in my house. Otherwise I would have kept/bought the one I was holding onto for Mark. That was one fine center.

I have considered the KG 2.2V and the 2.5. Do you have any experience with the 2.5? They seem to be readily available as are the 2.2's.

Take this lightly since I have never heard it, an Academy may work.  I have heard this recommended for some of the Heritage line.

I was under the impression there were some weak links in the Academy. That being said, I'm not sure the 33 pounds would bode well for the shelf it must sit on. The 28 pounds of the RC-3 seem to be irritating it as it is. :(

Just giving you a hard time but...YOU SHOULD MAKE ROOM!!!!  MOAR SPEAKERZ!  LOL

J/K man, hope the search goes well.

• Like 1