And so it begins...

Sawyer

Not the best pictures but figured I'd share. I was fortunate enough to receive a pallet of speakers today that one (or two) of this forums esteemed members were kind enough to help me acquire. I don't want to get into specifics (or name names since I didn't ask permission) but I feel truly blessed to have stumbled into this forum and been so quickly welcomed and helped. I was able to fit everything except the sub (R115SW) into my Explorer which I'll bring home tomorrow. For your comparison I took a picture showing the 140SA next to the top of the 280FA.

What you're looking at:

(2) 280FA's

(4) RP-250S

(1) RP-450CA

(2) 140SA's

post-61719-0-61140000-1443573132_thumb.jpost-61719-0-50340000-1443573375_thumb.jpost-61719-0-57260000-1443573400_thumb.j

• Like 12

Cool, nice instant 7.1.4 Atmos from Klipsch !! Look forward to your impressions once everything is placed & calibrated. Just curios, how are you planning to place the rear RP-140SA's? (adding a floating shelf or sitting on the 250's?)  Congrats!

Great question. Truthfully I'm not sure.  They really don't fit on top of the 250's which is a bummer. Way too much overhang (unless you place them sideways but that is even too funky looking for me!) so I don't really see an alternative but to put them on some type of shelf.  I was hoping there would be a second keyhole mounting on the "bottom" of the 140 as there is one on the back but alas it was not to be. 

I'm open to suggestions from any of you clever aficionados out there so bring on the ideas if you have any.

I'm waiting on the new Marantz SR7010 receiver which is shipping from overseas this week and once that is in place, to drive the 140's or 2 other channels of the 7.1.4, I'll be adding either a Emotiva mini-X a-100 like yourself or a Marantz MM7025 2-channel power amp which is way more expesive but I have a $500.00 credit I can use towards it so it would only cost me about $80.00 more than the Emotiva.  Any thoughts and/or recommendations are definetly appreciated.  Still a rookie and not too proud to seek out the advice of those in the know.

Thanks for all the positive comments and feedback guys!

I would step up to a 5 channel amp to take some of the she strain off that beastly Marantz. You are driving 11 channels with the speakers in that picture above..

Where is your $500 credit? I am sure the people would love to help you spend it;)

I'm waiting on the new Marantz SR7010 receiver which is shipping from overseas this week and once that is in place, to drive the 140's or 2 other channels of the 7.1.4, I'll be adding either a Emotiva mini-X a-100 like yourself or a Marantz MM7025 2-channel power amp which is way more expesive but I have a $500.00 credit I can use towards it so it would only cost me about $80.00 more than the Emotiva.  Any thoughts and/or recommendations are definetly appreciated.  Still a rookie and not too proud to seek out the advice of those in the know.

That Marantz amp would be the way to go but it is a bit overkill for the rear Atmos modules.  Won't hurt anything but it's kind of a waste.  I know it doesn't sound like much, 125 vs. 140 watts, but their separate power amps are built differently such as having a toroidal transformer and not having to fight the other channels for power if they are all driven.  

If you did do that, I'd make them power the mains, which would be a nice combination.  In the setup of the Marantz receiver there should be a choice you can specify where you offload your mains with the preamp output and you have four height channels powered by the receiver, which at least on the 7009's does not explicitly say "Atmos", and is confusing because another choices DOES say "Atmos", but supposedly that's what it's for.  If you don't mind the size and the price, I think you'll be happiest with this setup rather than having mismatching gear.  Marantz stuff looks very nice when multiple units are racked up together in a vertical stack, all the faceplates match.  

Otherwise, you can get away with cheaper amps, such as AudioSource's 50x2 if all you are doing is powering the Atmos modules.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

Welcome to the forum!

That speaker system looks like someone gave you a rock solid recommendation!  Those new Reference Premier seem to be getting a LOT of attention, not to mention being on the leading edge of Atmos setups.

I would like to see someone start a Reference Premier Owners Group thread.  It's a whole new world.   :emotion-21:

Edited by wvu80

That Marantz amp would be the way to go but it is a bit overkill for the rear Atmos modules. Won't hurt anything but it's kind of a waste. I know it doesn't sound like much, 125 vs. 140 watts, but their separate power amps are built differently such as having a toroidal transformer and not having to fight the other channels for power if they are all driven. If you did do that, I'd make them power the mains, which would be a nice combination.

:emotion-21: :emotion-21:  

To that suggestion.

Bill

That Marantz amp would be the way to go but it is a bit overkill for the rear Atmos modules.  Won't hurt anything but it's kind of a waste.  I know it doesn't sound like much, 125 vs. 140 watts, but their separate power amps are built differently such as having a toroidal transformer and not having to fight the other channels for power if they are all driven.  

If you did do that, I'd make them power the mains, which would be a nice combination.  In the setup of the Marantz receiver there should be a choice you can specify where you offload your mains with the preamp output and you have four height channels powered by the receiver, which at least on the 7009's does not explicitly say "Atmos", and is confusing because another choices DOES say "Atmos", but supposedly that's what it's for.  If you don't mind the size and the price, I think you'll be happiest with this setup rather than having mismatching gear.  Marantz stuff looks very nice when multiple units are racked up together in a vertical stack, all the faceplates match.  

Otherwise, you can get away with cheaper amps, such as AudioSource's 50x2 if all you are doing is powering the Atmos modules.  

This is why I'm happy I came on here. 

Thanks for the recommendation. I thought that was the direction to go in and I wondered if it made more sense to power the mains or something other than the Atmos modules.  Now I know for sure :D