Jubilee speaker's Sold

Cornman

• Moderators

XLR to 1x RCA

When connecting a 3-pin XLR to one RCA, you use the same wiring as if you were connecting an XLR to a 1/4" (jack) plug.

The positive and shield of the XLR are joined together, either at the XLR end or the RCA end. The easiest way is to solder a link between pins 1 and 3 (shield and negative) of the XLR, rather than trying to solder the shield and negative wire to the sleeve contact of the RCA.

XLR-RCA.gifXLR-RCA2.gif

This produces an unbalanced audio cable.

• Like 1

Yea I was asking about the adapters.

It also shorts the signal on pin 3 of the XLR to ground (I'm talking about balanced out to unbalanced in). Depending on the output involved this could be OK or it could be bad for the equipment. I do not know the topology of the DX-38s outputs. Anybody ever put an O'scope on it? Is there an inverted signal on pin 3 compared to pin 2? or is it just impedance balanced to ground?

Edited by babadono

Oh I think I'm going to be sick. I live in Austin, Texas and I have been looking for a used pair of Jubes for over a year now. I missed the pair that sold in Dallas, Texas. And now this pair has sold.

I am a pro Cinema speaker nut who watches movies and listens to music at least four to six hours per day. I can never, ever catch a break on these. And they are always sold to someone who rarely uses them or does not even bother to hook them up for weeks. Looks like I might have to bite the bullet and purchase a pair new. Ugh.

Edited by diamonddelts

Looks like I might have to bite the bullet and purchase a pair new. Ugh.

Or spend more time on the forum ;)

This is exactly how I finally ended up with them.  Pretty much every day for the past three or four years I checked the garage sale section to search for that extremely rare event -- a set of Jubilees for sale.  Even then, I missed out on three sets.  In one case it was by a mere couple of hours.

• Like 1

Actually, one thing that I will need before i can hook them up is adapters. THe EV DX-38 has balanced inputs/outputs. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has sugestions on adapters for RCA connectors and/or potential sources for them.

Jmon,

Will you be going from unbalanced outputs of a preamp to the inputs of the DX-38? And then from the balanced outs into an unbalanced input of a power amp? For the preamp outs to the DX-38 inputs these cables from Monoprice work great and they're wired properly:

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4776 (other lengths are available)

For the DX-38s outs to unbalanced in, that's going to be a little less straightforward.

Yes, that is configuration I will need.

XLR to 1x RCA

When connecting a 3-pin XLR to one RCA, you use the same wiring as if you were connecting an XLR to a 1/4" (jack) plug.

The positive and shield of the XLR are joined together, either at the XLR end or the RCA end. The easiest way is to solder a link between pins 1 and 3 (shield and negative) of the XLR, rather than trying to solder the shield and negative wire to the sleeve contact of the RCA.

XLR-RCA.gifXLR-RCA2.gif

Ay Carumba! These are not the same. One has a 2 conductor cable the other 3. The 2 conductor will force the inter chassis ground current and signal ground current to travel down the cable in the same wire. This MAY or MAY NOT cause audible artifacts(length of cable, noisiness of environment, magnitude of impedance mismatch, luck, etc....). The 3 conductor will give seperate paths for chassis currents and signal currents and ideally the chassis connection will be the shield of the cable. Yes it is still unbalanced but should yield the quietest possible connection. One must always think: 'where is the current going to flow?' This is for an unbalanced output feeding a balanced input.

As I alluded to in my earlier post the balanced output to unbalanced input requires more data to implement correctly.

• Moderators

XLR to 1x RCA

XLR-RCA.gifXLR-RCA2.gif

Ay Carumba! These are not the same. One has a 2 conductor cable the other 3. The 2 conductor will force the inter chassis ground current and signal ground current to travel down the cable in the same wire. This MAY or MAY NOT cause audible artifacts(length of cable, noisiness of environment, magnitude of impedance mismatch, luck, etc....). The 3 conductor will give seperate paths for chassis currents and signal currents and ideally the chassis connection will be the shield of the cable. Yes it is still unbalanced but should yield the quietest possible connection. One must always think: 'where is the current going to flow?' This is for an unbalanced output feeding a balanced input.

As I alluded to in my earlier post the balanced output to unbalanced input requires more data to implement correctly.

Which is why I said go adapters, not cables.

Some people had to mod their DX-38, I am looking for the mod but can't seem to find it. I cannot recall who had issues and why: current at house, types of amps and grounding, etc.

• Moderators

An XLR to RCA adapter will short pins 1 and 3 of the XLR end together. As I said in an earlier post this may or may not be OK for a balanced output.

Which is exactly what the DX 38 manual calls for. I have never heard of anyone having or using the transformer module option on a DX-38.

Did he say what amps and preamp he is planning on using?

In my case, the power amps have both RCA and XLR inputs, so connecting the Dx38 to the power amps was as simple as plugging in the 4 XLR-to-XLR cables.

The cables from the AVR to the Dx38 are the RCA-to-XLR ones (from Long & McQuaide's pro department), but it took some doing to get those right.  After two weeks of no success, I called the local pro audio shop (Pacific Audio Works), who do most of the concert sound around town.  They sent a tech over, and it took him over an hour and a couple of calls back to the shop to get the wiring and grounding configured properly.

It turned out that the two power amps and the AVR have to be grounded together, but not to the wall.  One or both of the cables had to be cut and re-soldered differently, but it did work in the end, and I considered it money well spent, because I was getting really frustrated with getting noise and no music coming out of the speakers.

After those few teething issues, the system has sounded great ever since.

Some people had to mod their DX-38, I am looking for the mod but can't seem to find it. I cannot recall who had issues and why: current at house, types of amps and grounding, etc.

My recollection is Roy showed the mod they use.  Grounding the XLR ground pin to the chassis (if I recall correctly)

Something about "The Dx was designed, presuming you'd have it rack mounted and the ground of this & that would flow through the rack to the rest of the system"  (or something like that)

So, they take each one they get and add a ground wire internally because the ground isn't always carried forward given how it's designed.

If you don't have it rack mounted, then you have the same potential issue.

That's my recollection of the issue.

Looks like I might have to bite the bullet and purchase a pair new. Ugh.

Or spend more time on the forum ;)

This is exactly how I finally ended up with them.  Pretty much every day for the past three or four years I checked the garage sale section to search for that extremely rare event -- a set of Jubilees for sale.  Even then, I missed out on three sets.  In one case it was by a mere couple of hours.

Diamond, this is what i told you in the thread you had a few weeks back, you were asking for Jubs at any cost/any place i believe.

And the only thing i said was "Be Here" and the CL daily, this is where you find and get what you want.

Took me two years to find a set of McMs, and last june they came up in the forum, i racked 4700miles by the time they were here.

It turned out that the two power amps and the AVR have to be grounded together, but not to the wall.

That's interesting that there have been so many issues with grounding XLR balanced to RCA unbalanced cables.  I've used female-XLR-to-RCA cables unmodified and without issue in every configuration since 2007 with no issues related to grounding.  That's the reason why I listed the cable unmodified from Amazon, above. 

Maybe there are more issues with house-related grounding and common mode noise than others.  Perhaps simply grounding the house power receptacles locally to the earth is another approach to the "balanced-unbalanced grounding issue". 

Chris

Edited by Chris A

My recollection is Roy showed the mod they use.  Grounding the XLR ground pin to the chassis (if I recall correctly)

Something about "The Dx was designed, presuming you'd have it rack mounted and the ground of this & that would flow through the rack to the rest of the system"  (or something like that)

So, they take each one they get and add a ground wire internally because the ground isn't always carried forward given how it's designed.

If you don't have it rack mounted, then you have the same potential issue.

That's my recollection of the issue.

Here is a thread about Input Grounding Modification of the DX38

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/109276-humbuzz-ev-dx38-xlr-rca-adapters/?hl=%2Bev+%2Bdx38+%2Bground+%2Bmod

I prefer and recommend the Female XLR Plug option I described in the above thread because it is easily reversible and does not require opening up the unit for the ground modification.

If someone is comfortable going inside the unit then a wire can be run from the case of the EV DX38 and Pin 1 of the Input XLR.

Someone else took these pictures but they show that a wire will need to be connected between the case ground(Green Aligator Clip) and one of the Input XLR Sockets Pin 1.

miketn

post-12368-0-47340000-1447211797_thumb.j

post-12368-0-23340000-1447211830_thumb.j

post-12368-0-92340000-1447211857_thumb.j

Edited by mikebse2a3