Jubilee speaker's Sold

Cornman

It turned out that the two power amps and the AVR have to be grounded together, but not to the wall.

That's interesting that there have been so many issues with grounding XLR balanced to RCA unbalanced cables.  I've used female-XLR-to-RCA cables unmodified and without issue in every configuration since 2007 with no issues related to grounding.  That's the reason why I listed the cable unmodified from Amazon, above. 

Maybe there are more issues with house-related grounding and common mode noise than others.  Perhaps simply grounding the house power receptacles locally to the earth is another approach to the "balanced-unbalanced grounding issue". 

Chris

Chris you have been inter connecting balanced and unbalanced equipment for 8 years + and never had any issues? You Sir are fortunate. :emotion-21:

Edited by babadono

Some people had to mod their DX-38, I am looking for the mod but can't seem to find it. I cannot recall who had issues and why: current at house, types of amps and grounding, etc.

My recollection is Roy showed the mod they use.  Grounding the XLR ground pin to the chassis (if I recall correctly)

Something about "The Dx was designed, presuming you'd have it rack mounted and the ground of this & that would flow through the rack to the rest of the system"  (or something like that)

So, they take each one they get and add a ground wire internally because the ground isn't always carried forward given how it's designed.

If you don't have it rack mounted, then you have the same potential issue.

That's my recollection of the issue.

Here is a thread about Input Grounding Modification of the DX38

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/109276-humbuzz-ev-dx38-xlr-rca-adapters/?hl=%2Bev+%2Bdx38+%2Bground+%2Bmod

I prefer and recommend the Female XLR Plug option I described in the above thread because it is easily reversible and does not require opening up the unit for the ground modification.

If someone is comfortable going inside the unit then a wire can be run from the case of the EV DX38 and Pin 1 of the Input XLR.

Someone else took these pictures but they show that a wire will need to be connected between the case ground(Green Aligator Clip) and one of the Input XLR Sockets Pin 1.

miketn

This is the classic "Pin 1 grounding problem" referred to in the App notes at the Jensen transformer website and other sources. Just Google "Pin 1 problem".