I respectfully request

Taz

As most of you know there was a shooting at Roseburg's local community college.

Although this happened less then 15 miles from home, I can't tell anyone anything that is not in the News.

I can request that we not add to the 15 minutes of fame that these shooters expect to get. I do fully support our County Sheriff's choice to not to add to the shooter's fame by not releasing this A Holes name.   Please don't identify anyone by name that does anything like this.

Although I firmly believe in Free Speech, I wish the News organizations would refrain from naming shooters.

In our case there was a young man that meets my definition of a hero as while others ran away he ran to the shooter while encouraging others to run.  He should be honored for his actions.  God Speed his recovery from his wounds.

Pray for the families if it is your belief.

Pray for our Community as we are shocked, and in mourning.

If you choose to comment, I ask that you think and not post anything detrimental that may upset other forum members.

Those that know me know how hard it is not to spew my personal beliefs at this time.

john

• Like 13

You might want to change your gun Avatar for awhile..

Why ?

John, sincerest wish for resolution for you and your family , Community..........................It is good that the Attacker is no longer a part of this earth,  I agree the guy that attempted to stop the attack is a Hero OH and I love your Avatar (as you know)

I honestly don't know how to stop these type of senseless acts by mentally defective individuals,  It would seem an impossible task to identify every nut job with the capacity for mass violence The tools used are of little consequence. The issue is the mentality and how to recognize it and further treat  /  deal with it...........

It really enraged me to see so many take a travesty of this magnitude and twist it into an agenda Poor Form and Unforgivable

• Like 3

• Moderators

As most of you know there was a shooting at Roseburg's local community college.

Although this happened less then 15 miles from home, I can't tell anyone anything that is not in the News.

I can request that we not add to the 15 minutes of fame that these shooters expect to get. I do fully support our County Sheriff's choice to not to add to the shooter's fame by not releasing this A Holes name. Please don't identify anyone by name that does anything like this.

Although I firmly believe in Free Speech, I wish the News organizations would refrain from naming shooters.

In our case there was a young man that meets my definition of a hero as while others ran away he ran to the shooter while encouraging others to run. He should be honored for his actions. God Speed his recovery from his wounds.

Pray for the families if it is your belief.

Pray for our Community as we are shocked, and in mourning.

If you choose to comment, I ask that you think and not post anything detrimental that may upset other forum members.

Those that know me know how hard it is not to spew my personal beliefs at this time.

john

It is already out there, and his photo, and an interview with his father.

Is that why he did it? For 15 minutes of posthumous notoriety?

Why is that sheriff giving any interviews and press conferences at all?

I was driving on the freeway on ramp in Roseburg that morning, when a sheriffs car sped up behind me lights and siren on. I thought he was pulling me over, I put my turn signal on and started to pull over. He flew past me, heading north. I arrived at my destination fifteen minutes later and was told about the shooting. An hour later I drove back by the College and seen all the emergency vehicles and a helicopter, then it really hit home. So sad...( and senseless )

There are lots of forum's out there, to discuss every issue. This is a Klipsch forum, about speakers, music, and audio equipment. I hope it stays that way. 

• Like 4

these atrocities happen in a free society. don't think they can be stopped. maybe shortened by armed guards?

a free society with armed guards. sounds a lot like Cuba, or Russia, or etc.  As for naming the perp, who here off the top of their heads can name the perp of Shady Hook?  Of Va Tech?  of Ft. Hood?  How about even the Columbine guys, or after that the Aurora theater shooter?  Who can name all or even more than two or three of these guys?  off the top of your heads without a search engine?  What difference does it make?

I get Johns point and the Sheriffs, it seems they both feel like publicly stating the perps name is in a way giving the perp exactly what he wanted ( or seemed to want)

Thats his 15 minutes, Granted the name and all the info is already out there and the 15 minutes is already at hand. But I feel no need to perpetuate that 15 minutes any further than the press already has / will and I feel like thats Johns position as well

• Like 1

The 'gun free' zone didn't work.
Unfortunately, a gun-free zone is a easy soft target. IMO, gun control is NOT the answer. This loser would have gotten a weapon no matter what. There is no easy way to stop this type of cowardly violence. 

I agree that the killer should not be identified and should be denied the fame/infamy he was seeking.  Of course, the press does not agree, and believes that you sell the most papers with the most sensational coverage of tragedies like the one in Oregon.

Here's a link to the 4chan discussion group he was posting on.  While a few posters tried to discourage him, some others actually offered advice on how to be more efficient.  It's pretty creepy reading.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:OZGEjT1ilSUJ:https://archive.moe/r9k/post

One guy posts:  "You're only shooting college age students, correct? I have grandparents that live up there."

It’s like they actually approve of doing mass murder, as long as he doesn’t kill somebody they know.

The “beta uprising” thing is disturbing, too.  It’s like there’s a large number of people who are convinced they’ll always be second best to the alphas, so let’s all get guns and show the “normies” how manly we really are.  It sounds like they think they’re not even second best, because the alphas are exceptional, so the betas would actually be the normal types.  If some of these self-declared losers see themselves as less than normal, they’d be gammas or deltas.  The Greek alphabet starts “alpha, beta, gamma, delta, epsilon”.  I had to look that up.

A wanker revolt will just show them to be wankers, so nothing is gained.

The whole country of Canada is in certain ways a gun-free zone.  This makes us feel like we are in less danger in our everyday lives, not more.  Concealed-carry permits are very hard to get.  This makes it very easy to spot the bad guys.  Anyone seen with a gun is suspected of being about to commit a crime, unless they have a rifle in a rural area during hunting season.

Most shootings take place within rough areas in some of the largest cities, and generally involve drug gang members shooting each other in turf wars.  In most other areas, shootings are rare, and attract a lot of attention.

The handguns used in crimes are mostly smuggled into the country from the US, since they're hard to buy legally.  In some other cases, guns are stolen from collectors by burglars, which means a gun collection can attract criminals, rather than keeping them away from your home.  It's always important to look at the big picture.

• Like 2

This clip has been making the rounds on Facebook for months, and gets lots of support.  Like many good comedians, his social commentary makes a lot of sense.  As well, he's had the experience of a home invasion, and still doesn't think that having a gun would have helped at all.

• Like 1