Speaker placement advice

Sawyer

Seeking some placement advice for my rear surrounds and Atmos module add-ons. I'm attaching 3 photos of the back of my room so you can chime in. I realize my current rear surrounds are way too high, but angled downwards they have worked pretty well for me over the years.

Do I move the one on the left behind the couch, over to the side wall in photo #1 keeping it behind the listening position but placing it perpendicular to where it is now and place the Atmos module above it giving it plenty of ceiling to reflect off of?

Or do I just keep it where it is and lower it to head height and place the Atmos right above it? I'm worried about losing some of the reflection dispersion to the opening of the stairwell.

The one on the right (in photo #3) I either plan to simply lower and place the Atmos above it or I was considering moving it to the left edge of the wall where it sits now. I guess if the recommended position of the first surround I asked about ends up being moving it to the perpendicular wall I could move the right-hand one to its perpendicular wall but I feel that would probably be the least effective position.

My ceiling is unfortunately on the low side at 7' and I know they talk about placing the Atmos modules no higher than at 1/2 the ceiling height so it's gonna be tight no matter what I do. Not an ideally shaped room by any stretch but it's what I have to work with.

The Klipsch owner's manual says to place the surrounds about 2' above the listeners head whereas the Dolby standard is saying pretty much at head level so you can understand some of my dilemma. I'm using the Klipsch RP-250S for both my side and rear surrounds.

Sorry for the long post, just trying to provide lots of detail. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Your pictures are not showing up. Match this layout as close as possible. If you are only doing a 5.1 layout then try surrounds at 120 degrees instead of 90. All speakers should be close to 1.2 meters in height to the acoustic center of the speaker. Surrounds can go 1.25 times higher than the 1.2m recommendation as a maximum. Sometimes this isn't possible, just get as close as you can.

7.1.4 DAES layout.jpg

Your pictures are not showing up. Match this layout as close as possible. If you are only doing a 5.1 layout then try surrounds at 120 degrees instead of 90. All speakers should be close to 1.2 meters in height to the acoustic center of the speaker. Surrounds can go 1.25 times higher than the 1.2m recommendation as a maximum. Sometimes this isn't possible, just get as close as you can.

7.1.4 DAES layout.jpg

Doing 7.1.4. Here are the pictures that should have been posted the first time around.

post-61719-0-70060000-1443982890_thumb.jpost-61719-0-51180000-1443982969_thumb.jpost-61719-0-69220000-1443983022_thumb.j

Are you doing 5.2.2?

Never mind. I see your doing 7.1

Well tough call doesn't look like much room behind couch. I'm usually against a 7 channel setup if there isn't enough room to get surrounds behind you but I'd mount the side surrounds directly to sides of the couch and as low as you can without getting in the walk way. Then maybe mount the back surrounds both on that back wall in the stairwell? Looks like you can get them 3-4 feet apart.

Edited by Scrappydue

Don't know what the pther side of the room looks like, but why not put the front end by the wall that opens up to the stairwell?

Then take the sectional and move it outward facing the new front end and put the side surrounds on stands.Then do the rear surrounds,and the ceiling atmos.

• Like 1

Are you doing 5.2.2?

Never mind. I see your doing 7.1

Well tough call doesn't look like much room behind couch. I'm usually against a 7 channel setup if there isn't enough room to get surrounds behind you but I'd mount the side surrounds directly to sides of the couch and as low as you can without getting in the walk way. Then maybe mount the back surrounds both on that back wall in the stairwell? Looks like you can get them 3-4 feet apart.

It's 3'-4' apart for rear surrounds considered the standard? Is there any optimal distance?

Don't know what the pther side of the room looks like, but why not put the front end by the wall that opens up to the stairwell?

Then take the sectional and move it outward facing the new front end and put the side surrounds on stands.Then do the rear surrounds,and the ceiling atmos.

I have my flat screen mounted above the fireplace on the other side of the room so unfortunately not an option.