Sub Amp Comparisons...

SWL

I use a Behringer EP4000 with a Paradigm X-30 to power and control a Tuba sub.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sa1000-subwoofer-amplifier-rack-mountable--300-811

Would this amp from PE have any advantage over what I'm using now? Cool that it has a parametric Eq and all but would this really be necessary from what I'm using now?

Thanks,

-Scott

Hard to say without seeing a FR graph.  The Dayton amp is very limited in it's PEQ function.  It is one band only.  I was not impressed with the one I owned.  If you are looking to make low end adjustments in the FR, a Mini DSP is good for around $125.

Edited by derrickdj1

You won't need anywhere near that ampunt of power to run the Table Tuba, look for something smaller if you're going to experiment.

Yeah.....I really wasn't concerned with the power aspect......more along the lines of an amp that is listed as a "subwoofer amp" compared to pro-amps that are often praised for their subwoofer capabilities at affordable prices.

I guess if I was in the market for a sub amp, I would definitely want DSP and PEQ.  Even if I didn't know much about the functions, there are plenty of forum peopel here that do and on AVS.  The room influences a sub so much on the low end DSP and PEQ can easily added 10 db or take down nasty peaks in the room/sub response.

• Like 2

I have two EP4000's and two X-30's at my disposal. Overkill....I know....but they're here doing nothing so I might as well use them unless someone gives me a good enough reason why I should use a different style of amp to power a Tuba sub.

Jason- in the meantime after further experimenting with placement......the Tuba is pushing the RSW-15 closer and closer to Craigslist or the Garage Sale. Right now, the Tuba's placement is working very well. :)

• Like 1

I'm no authority on subs or amps, but on AVSforum.com DIY Speakers and Subs, I see the Inuke 3000 dsp and the Inuke 6000 dsp mentioned most often.  The higher powered amps allow for the addition of multiple subs.

I know that sounds like overkill especially compared to the DA SA1000 but the Inuke's listed power output is overly optimistic.

http://www.parts-express.com/behringer-nu3000dsp-inuke-3000-watt-power-amplifier-with-dsp--248-6706

http://www.parts-express.com/behringer-nu6000dsp-inuke-6000w-lightweight-power-amplifier-with-dsp--248-6710

This is a good topic. I'll be attempting an Cinema F-20 build and will need a amp to power it. I have a Bash 300 powering my dual anarchy tapped horns but that along with the kp-201's are going to my son when I get the F-20 built. What would be a good amp to drive it? I see some have a bash and others have inukes or whatever they are called.

Pro amps can needlessly complicate things.

Certainly nothing against them from a technical standpoint, but if you want the cleanest install with least amount of fuss then I'd stick with the appropriate consumer-level gear.

I went pro in the home for a while, then circled back to the SA1000. It's not the end all, but a heck of a lot easier to deal with than trying to pull in the reins on the very big amps.

...most certainly, use what you've got, if you've got it.

• Like 1

Guest David H

I have a pair of those Dayton 1000's I am not using. They were used is a home theater powering 18 inch subs. (Absolutely ridiculous.)

I was very impressed with their performance.

If you decide to go with one, give me a shout.

Dave